Media Release: HAVE YOUR SAY TO SUPPORT VICTORIA’S GROWING FISHING INDUSTRY

News and media releases from the Department of Primary Industries (DPI)
fishingvic
Site Admin
Site Admin
Has liked: 386 times

Post by fishingvic » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:01 pm

Fisheries.png
Media release
Wednesday 25 September 2019
HAVE YOUR SAY TO SUPPORT VICTORIA’S GROWING FISHING INDUSTRY
The Victorian Government is seeking public feedback on proposed regulatory changes that will benefit the fishing and aquaculture sectors of the state.
The Fisheries Regulations 2019 are designed to ensure effective and efficient management of the state’s fish resources and support a productive aquaculture industry for the next ten years.
Today Victorian Fisheries Authority CEO, Travis Dowling, encouraged anglers, commercial fishers, seafood producers and the community to have their say on the proposed laws that apply to the indigenous, recreational and commercial sectors.
“We know Victorians love their seafood and fishing, so we’re asking everyone to get involved by providing valuable information and perspectives that can help shape and improve their experience in Victoria,” Mr Dowling said.
The Department of Transport and the Victorian Fisheries Authority have jointly developed the proposed regulations following consultation with key stakeholders.
There are some important changes proposed that will benefit recreational fishing in Victoria. These include changes to size and bag limits for some species and permitting additional types of equipment that can be used. For example, we are supporting new measures to protect native fish such as river blackfish that will ensure these populations are sustainable for future generations to enjoy.
The Victorian Government is also working hard to improve opportunities for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander persons in recreational fishing, and the proposed regulations will provide an exemption from the requirement to purchase and hold a recreational fishing licence. This will support those where a legal right is not already recognized, while maintaining the same bag limits and other restrictions that apply to licensed recreational fishers.
A number of important changes are also proposed to grow our commercial fisheries and to transition to world class fisheries management technology. These include:
- establishing three fisheries for pipi, octopus and banded morwong, with new licence classes that will encourage development, stewardship and investment for these species;
- transitioning to modern and efficient reporting arrangements through use of electronic reporting of catch and effort and, in the case of abalone, catch disposal information, and
- creating more efficient enforcement operations by expanding use of vessel monitoring systems, while simultaneously removing the need for those fishers to report prior to fishing or landing.
“These proposed changes demonstrate the Government’s commitment to grow and increase the economic, social and cultural value of our commercial fisheries,” Mr Dowling said.
“Through Target One Million, we are also delivering works that will directly benefit recreational fishers, giving families better opportunities to spend some quality time together outdoors.”
All submissions in relation to the proposed Regulations will be considered before the Minister for Fishing and Boating makes a final decision on whether to proceed with the proposed Regulations.
Interested industry stakeholders and the community can obtain the Regulatory Impact Statement including further information on the proposed changes on the internet at http://getinvolved.transport.vic.gov.au/fishreg2019.
Media contact: Lauren Hall, 0459 894 437

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Re: Media Release: HAVE YOUR SAY TO SUPPORT VICTORIA’S GROWING FISHING INDUSTRY

Post by hornet » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:59 pm

Yeah right keep pushing to get more anglers but the piers are the same as they were 20 years ago !

I've sent many emails over the years that have fallen on deaf ears.

Build new piers and enlarge lengthen existing piers is the best road ahead or stop pushing to get more fishing !

The new chum is automatically going to gravitate to a pier to start fishing when coaxed by the Government.
Clogging the piers to the point where established anglers will get agro by constantly tangled lines from newbies.

I'm so glad I just bought a boat again after many years with out one.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

StarrangerAU
Has liked: 58 times

Post by StarrangerAU » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:11 pm

hornet wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:59 pm

Build new piers and enlarge lengthen existing piers is the best road ahead or stop pushing to get more fishing !

The new chum is automatically going to gravitate to a pier to start fishing when coaxed by the Government.
Clogging the piers to the point where established anglers will get agro by constantly tangled lines from newbies..
Hear! Hear! I agree. A few Port Welshpool style piers would be a great addition to PPB
Annoyingly I'm forced to changing my habits and fish when newbies don't fish aka 3am

Jasonfish1234
Has liked: 234 times

Post by Jasonfish1234 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:13 am

How about don't have license at all to buy? Just regular sea police checking the size?

saph
Has liked: 4 times

Post by saph » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:33 pm

Jasonfish1234 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:13 am
How about don't have license at all to buy? Just regular sea police checking the size?
Not to get to political or whatever but look at queensland for a example on why that would be a bad thing, i would rather pay the cash and be able to fish knowing theres people out there making sure people get in trouble for breaking the laws then watch some people get away with 20 undersized bream and all i can do is call a number and hope someone bothers to show.

Jasonfish1234

Post by Jasonfish1234 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:03 pm

saph wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:33 pm
Jasonfish1234 wrote:
Not to get to political or whatever but look at queensland for a example on why that would be a bad thing, i would rather pay the cash and be able to fish knowing theres people out there making sure people get in trouble for breaking the laws then watch some people get away with 20 undersized bream and all i can do is call a number and hope someone bothers to show.
send me the link

saph

Post by saph » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:16 pm

Jasonfish1234 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:03 pm
saph wrote:
Jasonfish1234 wrote:
send me the link
what link? i cant put my own experiances in a link and send it.

Jasonfish1234

Post by Jasonfish1234 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:17 pm

saph wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:16 pm
Jasonfish1234 wrote:
saph wrote:
Jasonfish1234 wrote:
send me the link
Tell me the story then

saph

Post by saph » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:29 pm

Jasonfish1234 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:17 pm
saph wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:16 pm
Jasonfish1234 wrote:
saph wrote:
Jasonfish1234 wrote:
send me the link
Tell me the story then
i did, read the post i wrote.

Getting to fair off the topic anyways now.

Return to “Department of Primary Industries / Fisheries”