MEDIA ALERT - SILVER PERCH FOR ALBERT PARK LAKE

News and media releases from the Department of Primary Industries (DPI)
fishingvic
Site Admin
Site Admin
Has liked: 386 times

Post by fishingvic » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:55 pm

Media alert

Monday 22 October 2018

SILVER PERCH FOR ALBERT PARK LAKE

Media are invited to interview Victorian Fisheries Authority CEO Travis Dowling and angling club representatives to celebrate the stocking of on-grown silver perch at Albert Park Lake.
Stocking silver perch and golden perch at Albert Park gives Melbournians and its visitors an excellent chance to catch native fish in the middle of the city.
The stocking of these 15,000 silver perch will be the first native fish stocked for the 2018/19 spring-summer season and is all part of the government’s Target One Million program that has increased fish stocking beyond 5 million fish per year.
The silver perch are an impressive 100mm long making them great for photos.

A full media release will be issued by the VFA on Tuesday.

Event date: Tuesday 23 October

Event time: 12 – 12:30pm

Event location: Albert Park Lake, 1/10 Aquatic Drive. Head towards the boat ramp near the restaurant, The Point – this is where the fish will be stocked.

Media contact: Hilary Miller – 0436 649 388

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Re: MEDIA ALERT - SILVER PERCH FOR ALBERT PARK LAKE

Post by hornet » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:04 pm

" The silver perch are an impressive 100mm long making them great for photos."

Am I missing something ? 100mm = impressive ?
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:43 pm

hornet wrote:" The silver perch are an impressive 100mm long making them great for photos."

Lol.

Some people think "it's long" but it's shorter than it really is.

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:23 pm

i've been told they'll look bigger once they trim the weeds in the lake

April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Post by April Fool » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:52 pm

hornet wrote:" The silver perch are an impressive 100mm long making them great for photos."

No...someone else (read the media person who wrote this sh!t) is missing something...a brain I would guess! As with so many organisations, the great work done by people who work on the 'coal face', is brought undone by mindless morons, who are bordering on, if not surpassing, total incompetence!
cheers
Team Bender
Reckons this short but succint rant is on par with cobby's rants!

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:20 pm

April Fool wrote:

No...someone else (read the media person who wrote this sh!t) is missing something...a brain I would guess! As with so many organisations, the great work done by people who work on the 'coal face', is brought undone by mindless morons, who are bordering on, if not surpassing, total incompetence!
cheers
Team Bender
You miss read it they meant impressive 100mm long because they are a perfect size to whack a 4/0 hook through the back and catch one of those thumping yellas in the lake. Then take your photo ;-)
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:18 pm

April Fool wrote:

cheers
Team Bender
Close, but far from hard enough for a "Cobby" rant ol' mate! Where's the expletives? Hahaha...

100mm fish are bait, of any kind. How is that photo-worthy? The joint will be raped by the white bucket brigade once again I'm sure, and made into shitty fish-patties. Hope the pollutants are super high in that lake for these reasons only, and make those raping pricks very very sick. One can live in hope...

I'm still waiting for VFA to back off on the breeding of wet mops (murray cod, the overrated cod), and push the stocking of trout cod instead? At least the logs will put up a fight! A good chance they may also be edible compared to a fatty murray cod, but I don't really know that for a fact, as I've never killed one myself.

Once again VFA, STOP pushing this b/s "target 1 million" until you get some bloody infrastructure in place!!!!! Everything is over-crowded and under-resourced as it is, and is simply pissing people off!!!!! You halfwits are only interested in getting our licence money, which I have now ceased to provide, and you can suck my balls until you pull your socks up as far as I'm concerned. I've just about had enough of you lot...

cantcatchem

Post by cantcatchem » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:24 pm

They would have been better off stocking it with Tigertrout

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:33 pm

The fish are 'impressive' because natives are quite often stocked at only 25 mm long. Stocking at 100 mm will significantly improve survival and reduce the time for them to get a decent size. It might have been a poor choice of words but I welcome the initiative.
Redhunter wrote:I'm still waiting for VFA to back off on the breeding of wet mops (murray cod, the overrated cod), and push the stocking of trout cod instead? At least the logs will put up a fight! A good chance they may also be edible compared to a fatty murray cod, but I don't really know that for a fact, as I've never killed one myself.
Things are moving in the direction of stocking a greater range of native species for anglers. I can't say much more at this point.

I'm not much of a fish eater but smaller Murray cod are quite good to eat. With larger fish the fat needs to be removed.

Best Wishes

Truedogz

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:07 pm

Truedogz wrote:
Redhunter wrote:I'm still waiting for VFA to back off on the breeding of wet mops (murray cod, the overrated cod), and push the stocking of trout cod instead? At least the logs will put up a fight! A good chance they may also be edible compared to a fatty murray cod, but I don't really know that for a fact, as I've never killed one myself.
Things are moving in the direction of stocking a greater range of native species for anglers. I can't say much more at this point.

I'm not much of a fish eater but smaller Murray cod are quite good to eat. With larger fish the fat needs to be removed.

Best Wishes

Truedogz
That is great news mate, and I truly hope you're right for all our sakes. There's so much more than murray cod, yellas, a handful of silvers, and trout, but you most certainly know that so better than me.
Call me naive, but I was unaware until recently that VFA were purchasing majority/all native fish stocks from NSW private hatcheries. I don't understand why they haven't been looking at the bigger picture and running their own native fish hatcheries? They could be pumping out a bit of everything and providing a smorgasbord of variety. By saying " I can't say much more at this point", I'm going to clutch onto hope that due to recent events (private NSW hatchery sell off), this may be the start of something BIG for this State. Time will tell I guess...

Funny what you say about the eating of murray cod. I too have heard the smaller ones are quite nice to eat, 40-45cms. From a couple of sources actually. If I tried, my luck I'd get busted. Lol.

Return to “Department of Primary Industries / Fisheries”