VFA Media Alert: HANDS OFF VICTORIAN TUNA

News and media releases from the Department of Primary Industries (DPI)
re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Re: VFA Media Alert: HANDS OFF VICTORIAN TUNA

Post by re-tyred » Wed May 16, 2018 2:51 pm

frozenpod wrote:What I find strange is recent information on stock levels indicate that SBT numbers are increasing and bag limits could sustainably be increased.

So why not leave the rec the bag limit as is and increase the commercial catch whilst monitoring the fishery.
Yes it is a contradictory think. I can see no point in going from 2 fish per day to 1
My understanding is the recreational catch is quite small compared to the overall catch
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Wed May 16, 2018 4:55 pm

re-tyred wrote:It is two now x ??? trips in a year. So for some it could mean they go 20 times a year and keep 40 fish. Others may go twice and keep 4 fish.
If it is cut back to 1 but everyone goes twice as often and then a few extra people take up Tuna fishing then the total number increases. This is a big problem for fisheries management. With the commercials each licence has a fix portion of the annual allowed catch. So they can determine in advance exactly what the maximum take will be.
With a tag system then each person can have their catch controlled. They cant just do extra trips. At the same time it would be possible to allow more than 1 or 2 fish per trip. You could also do like Tassy does for some types and have to opt in by adding an endorsement to your licence.
An example would be you add an endorsement for Tuna at a small cost and get 20 tags for the year. Same with swords but get 4 tags.
That would mean, I could add last years tags to this years tags. Last year on the majority of trips I caught not a single fish, and so far this year I have drawn a blank as well.

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Wed May 16, 2018 5:00 pm

re-tyred wrote:
frozenpod wrote:What I find strange is recent information on stock levels indicate that SBT numbers are increasing and bag limits could sustainably be increased.

So why not leave the rec the bag limit as is and increase the commercial catch whilst monitoring the fishery.
Yes it is a contradictory think. I can see no point in going from 2 fish per day to 1
My understanding is the recreational catch is quite small compared to the overall catch
On the first year of the Portland Tuna comp a biologist gave a talk, if I recall correctly the commerical guys did not want the recreational catch measured as this would possibly mean a decrease in their quotas.

The barrells 100kg plus fish are the breeders and Indonesia catches them in the Indian ocean where they go to breed.

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Wed May 16, 2018 6:05 pm

Wolly Bugger wrote:
re-tyred wrote:It is two now x ??? trips in a year. So for some it could mean they go 20 times a year and keep 40 fish. Others may go twice and keep 4 fish.
If it is cut back to 1 but everyone goes twice as often and then a few extra people take up Tuna fishing then the total number increases. This is a big problem for fisheries management. With the commercials each licence has a fix portion of the annual allowed catch. So they can determine in advance exactly what the maximum take will be.
With a tag system then each person can have their catch controlled. They cant just do extra trips. At the same time it would be possible to allow more than 1 or 2 fish per trip. You could also do like Tassy does for some types and have to opt in by adding an endorsement to your licence.
An example would be you add an endorsement for Tuna at a small cost and get 20 tags for the year. Same with swords but get 4 tags.
That would mean, I could add last years tags to this years tags. Last year on the majority of trips I caught not a single fish, and so far this year I have drawn a blank as well.
No. tags would be per annum, not cumulative.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Wed May 16, 2018 6:50 pm

re-tyred wrote:

The international quota leeway was around 250 tonnes annually for recreational mortality. Given the pros (Australian) quota is 6xxx tonnes annually, even if rec catch is double or even triple it's still a blip on their numbers. The biggest gripe I've seen courtesy of industry body whinging is they pay upfront for their quota and we have in their eyes open slather for free made worse (to them) by the rapidly increased prevalence of larger offshore capable recreational craft, even though being a priority species they're covered under separate state wide possession limits of less than 160kg of flesh.

I still say the pros can suck it. They single handedly destroyed the species to begin with and it's about time with recent accessibility increases us recreational anglers finally get a small piece of the pie.

cobby

Post by cobby » Wed May 16, 2018 6:53 pm

The tag proposal is a decent one and gives AFMA knowledge of what's going on since they're to bloody lazy to do it without being pushed. 10-15 tags per person annually whether through AFMA or VFA at NO additional cost to the angler to be used between 1st October and 30th September with all unused tags forfeited and destroyed. That cost should be covered by the current licence fee structure plus additional environmental budgeting input in all 5 states and any angler wanting to target or thinking about targeting SBT to apply and have them mailed out aligned to their fishing licence number. Those that currently don't require a licence must purchase 1 to apply for tags. A small sheet supplied with the 1-10 numbered tags used for lefnth/weight information to be sent in with any unused tags or by itself if all used. Charter boats exempt, but their customers must supply their own tags when on board. Current 2 pp per day bag limit apply to promote repeat tourism to regional centres. Not everyone will want tags, and those that get them won't all use them all.

It's not hard to implement such a system. Lazy, tight arsed, self absorbed bureaucrats are the hindrance

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed May 16, 2018 6:59 pm

re-tyred wrote:
Wolly Bugger wrote:
No. tags would be per annum, not cumulative.
Exactly only way to be

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Wed May 16, 2018 7:02 pm

cobby wrote:The tag proposal is a decent one and gives AFMA knowledge of what's going on since they're to bloody lazy to do it without being pushed. 10-15 tags per person annually whether through AFMA or VFA at NO additional cost to the angler to be used between 1st October and 30th September with all unused tags forfeited and destroyed. That cost should be covered by the current licence fee structure plus additional environmental budgeting input in all 5 states and any angler wanting to target or thinking about targeting SBT to apply and have them mailed out aligned to their fishing licence number. Those that currently don't require a licence must purchase 1 to apply for tags. A small sheet supplied with the 1-10 numbered tags used for lefnth/weight information to be sent in with any unused tags or by itself if all used. Charter boats exempt, but their customers must supply their own tags when on board. Current 2 pp per day bag limit apply to promote repeat tourism to regional centres. Not everyone will want tags, and those that get them won't all use them all.

It's not hard to implement such a system. Lazy, tight arsed, self absorbed bureaucrats are the hindrance
Some good ideas.
I think the tags should be used for fish over a certain size like 50kg?

cobby

Post by cobby » Wed May 16, 2018 7:04 pm

No it's for all fish. Bag out 5 trips on Schoolies around 25kg then that's it for you to keep for the year

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Wed May 16, 2018 7:13 pm

Wolly Bugger wrote:
re-tyred wrote:

On the first year of the Portland Tuna comp a biologist gave a talk, if I recall correctly the commerical guys did not want the recreational catch measured as this would possibly mean a decrease in their quotas.

The barrells 100kg plus fish are the breeders and Indonesia catches them in the Indian ocean where they go to breed.
If indonesia can do what they want collecting over 400,000 tones of mixed tuna why are we disadvantaging own people and companies

Return to “Department of Primary Industries / Fisheries”