UP FOR A CHALLENGING FISHERIES OFFICER CAREER?

News and media releases from the Department of Primary Industries (DPI)
fishingvic
Site Admin
Site Admin
Has liked: 386 times

Post by fishingvic » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:17 pm

Media release
Monday 30 April, 2018
The Victorian Fisheries Authority (VFA) commenced a recruitment drive today to fill vacant Fisheries Officer positions across the state.
VFA Chief Executive Officer Travis Dowling said the roles would suit passionate individuals with integrity wanting a challenging career, often on the water, protecting fisheries resources for future generations.
“It’s a job outside the nine to five norm where your office is Victoria’s beautiful waterways,” Mr Dowling said.
“The positions will be full time, ongoing and based predominantly in regional Victoria.
“The VFA is committed to increasing the diversity of its workforce, so women and people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds are particularly encouraged to apply.
“The successful candidates will become part of a team of 74 Fisheries Officers stationed throughout Victoria from Mallacoota in Victoria’s far east, north to Swan Hill and west to Portland.
“Day-to-day duties vary enormously and range from enforcing recreational and commercial fishing rules to apprehending persons engaged in serious illegal fishing activity.
“Officers educate people about sustainable and responsible fishing, assist with fish stockings and fisheries management activities.
“They also work with other natural resource management, maritime safety and emergency management agencies to protect our valuable aquatic environments and keep people safe on the water.”
To find out more about a career as a Fisheries Officer visit www.vfa.vic.gov.au/recruitment
To apply, before 5pm on Wednesday 30 May 2018, visit www.careers.vic.gov.au
Media contact: Nicole Cairns – 0436 675 030
(photo available on request)

Sinsemilla

Re: UP FOR A CHALLENGING FISHERIES OFFICER CAREER?

Post by Sinsemilla » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:09 pm

"The VFA is committed to increasing the diversity of its workforce, so women and people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds are particularly encouraged to apply"

I hate this kind of stuff. How about whoever is interested in the position apply and the best candidate for the job gets it? Because having a diverse work place is way better than just having a work place where everyone that's working there was the best person for the job..

I might actually look into this job though. I need a bit of a change

ben475
Has liked: 161 times

Post by ben475 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:50 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:"The VFA is committed to increasing the diversity of its workforce, so women and people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds are particularly encouraged to apply"

I hate this kind of stuff. How about whoever is interested in the position apply and the best candidate for the job gets it? Because having a diverse work place is way better than just having a work place where everyone that's working there was the best person for the job..

I might actually look into this job though. I need a bit of a change

I see this kind of thing all the time these days! Police force, etc etc.
Might have a look at it too.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:01 pm

Having spent some time dealing with fishermen in a customer service role I can’t think of anything worse unless you’re allowed to go to town on people with a night stick/frozen couta when they start acting like fuckwits
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

canned_tuna
Has liked: 15 times

Post by canned_tuna » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:13 pm

minimum frozen couta... Id be tending more towards swordfish bill and then something that fires.........

crumpet_avenger

Post by crumpet_avenger » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:24 pm

Whats it pay. Anyone who catches more fish than me gets their license suspended indefinitely

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:29 pm

4liters wrote:Having spent some time dealing with fishermen in a customer service role I can’t think of anything worse unless you’re allowed to go to town on people with a night stick/frozen couta when they start acting like fuckwits
Dealing with the public in general is the worst. Doesn't matter what you do. At least with this you'll be out and about and on the water, not stuck in a store or office

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:45 pm

You would meet some good characters lol

4liters

Post by 4liters » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:13 pm

smile0784 wrote:You would meet some good characters lol
I’m sure you would but they wouldn’t be the ones you’d be dealing with for more than a minute or two.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:42 pm

When applying for a job, don't discuss the salary as opening topic. Since i am not applying, how much? :-)

Return to “Department of Primary Industries / Fisheries”