Trial Period of Electric Motors on Kayaks

News and media releases from the Department of Primary Industries (DPI)
cantcatchem

Re: Trial Period of Electric Motors on Kayaks

Post by cantcatchem » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:53 pm

cheaterparts wrote:
smile0784 wrote:Considering the size of a kayak, will it store a big boat battery or will only just a small battery and will it hold up to use of a electics motor for 4 to 5 hours a day with out charging
a bit of a guide
https://www.trollingmotors.net/blogs/se ... r-run-time

but on say a 30 lb thrust by there guide max speed about 30 amp med speed 15 amp and slow about 5 amp
purple5ive wrote: Yes. That was my first thoughts as well. Many guys have already tried this and didnt know what to do when they capsized and couldnt manage a re-entry.
so with a 50 AH half the charge is about 25 amp ( running the battery down 50 % )so for the above 30 lb lecky less than and hour flat out about 1 hour 40 min med speed or 5 hours slow speed

We did a trip out from Lang Lang with a guy that had a lecky motor , I'm pretty sure he had to run it fairly fast to keep up with our paddling only there was a bit of wind and tide to contend with about 7 km into the trip his battery was spent
Now the fun bit because he had the motor set up like a rudder ( easier to steer with while fishing hands free ) the motor couldn't be lifted
on the way back to the ramp we had the tide in our favour but every time Charlie stopped paddling the water drag on the motor at the rear turned him against the tide flow - paddling faster than the tide had extra drag of the motor + the extra weight of the battery

He was knackered by the ramp and only had a couple of Ks to paddle with the tide - all this drama in an easy to paddle area with beaches close both sides now imagine to same trip 7 km out in PPB with the battery dying 7 km back with a boat that doesn't paddle - I see more work for the coast guard

So some thought does need to be done to fit a motor - I don't think 50 ah is enough but a larger battery has the bad effects of higher C o G which could cut down stability and make it harder to right the kayak if tipped over
I'va had a lecky on my kayak for years and never had a problem, I have a 24lb motor and a 30amp battery and can troll my local river for a couple of hours, not everybody wants tto go out 7km into the bay, (which in itself s risky) all up it weighs 13kg, I don't always have to use it all the time, I can paddle quite comfortably with it on, I also use it in close in PPB but I do know my limitations, so, there are many good reasons for people to put on a lecky it's not all about paddling out for miles and miles that's what boats are for, just some food for thought :thumbsup:

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:56 pm

cheaterparts wrote:
smile0784 wrote:Considering the size of a kayak, will it store a big boat battery or will only just a small battery and will it hold up to use of a electics motor for 4 to 5 hours a day with out charging
a bit of a guide
https://www.trollingmotors.net/blogs/se ... r-run-time

but on say a 30 lb thrust by there guide max speed about 30 amp med speed 15 amp and slow about 5 amp
purple5ive wrote: Yes. That was my first thoughts as well. Many guys have already tried this and didnt know what to do when they capsized and couldnt manage a re-entry.
so with a 50 AH half the charge is about 25 amp ( running the battery down 50 % )so for the above 30 lb lecky less than and hour flat out about 1 hour 40 min med speed or 5 hours slow speed

We did a trip out from Lang Lang with a guy that had a lecky motor , I'm pretty sure he had to run it fairly fast to keep up with our paddling only there was a bit of wind and tide to contend with about 7 km into the trip his battery was spent
Now the fun bit because he had the motor set up like a rudder ( easier to steer with while fishing hands free ) the motor couldn't be lifted
on the way back to the ramp we had the tide in our favour but every time Charlie stopped paddling the water drag on the motor at the rear turned him against the tide flow - paddling faster than the tide had extra drag of the motor + the extra weight of the battery

He was knackered by the ramp and only had a couple of Ks to paddle with the tide - all this drama in an easy to paddle area with beaches close both sides now imagine to same trip 7 km out in PPB with the battery dying 7 km back with a boat that doesn't paddle - I see more work for the coast guard

So some thought does need to be done to fit a motor - I don't think 50 ah is enough but a larger battery has the bad effects of higher C o G which could cut down stability and make it harder to right the kayak if tipped over
Claified i few things but sounds like it good for a while but might get dangerous if you get rilled over

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:34 pm

My concerns are for inexperienced unprepared who venture where they are incapable. It will be a pain having to rescue those who don't take the necessary precautions.

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:38 pm

rb85 wrote:My concerns are for inexperienced unprepared who venture where they are incapable. It will be a pain having to rescue those who don't take the necessary precautions.
Exactly

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:42 pm

smile0784 wrote:
rb85 wrote:My concerns are for inexperienced unprepared who venture where they are incapable. It will be a pain having to rescue those who don't take the necessary precautions.
Exactly
But there I no doubt I would rescue someone in danger depending on the circumstances it may come at a cost such as watching beloved kayak drift away.

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:25 pm

Same i would always rescue anyone in trouble but not there kayak
Sorry yakers

ratbag

Post by ratbag » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:49 pm

These ppl are already in society with boats & cars, if we stop the opportunity we also penalise the sensible & responsible ppl. We live in a nanny state now - you can’t always legislate stupidity.

They’re great on canoes & yaks. Good trial to have it open for the year.
quid est quod eum

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:52 pm

smile0784 wrote:Does your 125ah get charged from the alterater
No. I charge it via mains when i get home

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:53 pm

ratbag wrote:
These ppl are already in society with boats & cars, if we stop the opportunity we also penalise the sensible & responsible ppl. We live in a nanny state now - you can’t always legislate stupidity.

They’re great on canoes & yaks. Good trial to have it open for the year.
Your right. There is good and bad in every society.
You only hear.about the bad.

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:58 pm

purple5ive wrote:
smile0784 wrote:Does your 125ah get charged from the alterater
No. I charge it via mains when i get home
Should hooknit upto altermater or battery switch so chsrgrs while driving around

Return to “Department of Primary Industries / Fisheries”