Fisheries media release; Changes to trout fishing rules

News and media releases from the Department of Primary Industries (DPI)
piscateur
Has liked: 63 times

Re: Fisheries media release; Changes to trout fishing rules

Post by piscateur » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:19 pm

Dumbest, most complicated set of rules to protect a non native species.

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:49 pm

[/quote]

Is that via irreversible environmental conditions or a purely economic driven department choice?[/quote]

Cobby, it is neither, just blatant ideology.

Write now it is technically feasible to mass produce trout cod and stock them all over the state for anglers. Silver perch are the same. There is a long list of broken promises and lies. Maccas are now going down the same path - they deserve protection but it has been made clear through past actions once these people get total control it is game over. In fifty years time if we have rivers overflowing with trout cod and Macquarie perch (in one or two cases we already have with trout cod) you will still not be able to fish for them. It has been decided for us! (despite anglers in the past investing a lot of time and money).

It is not going to stop there either. One government official said to me a while back that the last person to take a Murray cod from a river has been born. Sound ridiculous? I don't think so, knowing the people involved -all the triggers are in place.

The reality as I have said is trout are providing angling in these mountain streams. Without them it would be just another excuse to close access tracks etc, which government agencies are always keen to do.

Best Wishes

Truedogz

Paulanderson
Has liked: 51 times

Post by Paulanderson » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:03 pm

Will I know the future is bleak in restoring at least a few of our fisheries for Trout Cod and Maccas and that those that make the decisions have not helped at all but as the saying goes where there is life there is hope. One can argue just how much hope there is for these species and making them available to anglers again in the future but some is better than none. What seems to be lacking at present is the will (no pun intended) and awareness by recreational anglers and their representative bodies to try and force a change that will lead to improvements in the future, At the moment it is a bit like Siberian Tigers - they are not going extinct as there are more in Zoos than there are in the wild - where they are supposedly protected. As you have told us here in the past that people like yourself and NFA who have made a lot of effort have been badly let down by these (at least to us) faceless bureaucrats that make decisions that impact on all sorts of aspects of recreational fishing. What can we do about it is the question? Do we really want to seriously agitate for the restoration of these fisheries or are at least most of us happy to settle and accept what we are given. Currently living and working in Africa I cannot do a lot but even from here through the internet I am able and have been communicating with, for example, Vic and NSW Hatchery Managers and Fisheries Biologists and commenting on relevant Vic Fisheries posts on social media. Not much I must admit but if many of us make noise in our own way it will get across that there is a groundswell of interest. For example Vic Fisheries are represented at Tackle Shows where many of us visit - are we going to their stands and raising these issues so that they know that many of us are interested and unhappy? Do we know how much of licence fees go into Maccas and Trout Cod? Are we making noises at our fishing clubs so that representatives that go to the peak bodies equally make noise - and so on. As another saying goes there are those that make it happen, those that watch it happen, and those that wonder what happened. If most of us simply sit back and watch and wonder then things will never change. None of this is easy! Food for thought anyway. Paul.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:50 pm

Sad state of affairs really.....

Kennyboy
Has liked: 22 times

Post by Kennyboy » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:00 pm

4liters wrote:i'd rather they stock native species in the rivers rather than protecting trout but whatever
Agree!

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:13 pm

Paulanderson wrote:Will I know the future is bleak in restoring at least a few of our fisheries for Trout Cod and Maccas and that those that make the decisions have not helped at all but as the saying goes where there is life there is hope. One can argue just how much hope there is for these species and making them available to anglers again in the future but some is better than none. What seems to be lacking at present is the will (no pun intended) and awareness by recreational anglers and their representative bodies to try and force a change that will lead to improvements in the future, At the moment it is a bit like Siberian Tigers - they are not going extinct as there are more in Zoos than there are in the wild - where they are supposedly protected. As you have told us here in the past that people like yourself and NFA who have made a lot of effort have been badly let down by these (at least to us) faceless bureaucrats that make decisions that impact on all sorts of aspects of recreational fishing. What can we do about it is the question? Do we really want to seriously agitate for the restoration of these fisheries or are at least most of us happy to settle and accept what we are given. Currently living and working in Africa I cannot do a lot but even from here through the internet I am able and have been communicating with, for example, Vic and NSW Hatchery Managers and Fisheries Biologists and commenting on relevant Vic Fisheries posts on social media. Not much I must admit but if many of us make noise in our own way it will get across that there is a groundswell of interest. For example Vic Fisheries are represented at Tackle Shows where many of us visit - are we going to their stands and raising these issues so that they know that many of us are interested and unhappy? Do we know how much of licence fees go into Maccas and Trout Cod? Are we making noises at our fishing clubs so that representatives that go to the peak bodies equally make noise - and so on. As another saying goes there are those that make it happen, those that watch it happen, and those that wonder what happened. If most of us simply sit back and watch and wonder then things will never change. None of this is easy! Food for thought anyway. Paul.
Love your thoughts
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing
I have had some very good results in my campaign for neglected cemeteries
Unfortunately only from Labour government's

Gra

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:36 pm

I have to have a bit of a chuckle as I know a fair bit about some of the 'networks' inputting these decisions. What is special about the Nariel Creek? Answer = an exclusive 'lodge' up that way (so exclusive most people don't even know it exists; they wouldn't let former prime minister Malcolm Frazier join thats how exclusive they are). Some of our top managers feel the need to consult with these chaps on things of mutual importance.

Seriously, we don't really get effective, democratic representation in this state these days on fishing matters. Formerly, we had the Victorian Piscatorial Council (my dad and grandfather were delegates) that was somewhat democratic (the 'old boys' had a lot of control behind closed doors) and did a lot of good things. VRFIsh really is not representative, though some good people have been involved. They are too close to the government, in particular the gov provides offices, pays wages etc. There are vested commercial interests inputting too.

I think as a whole Fisheries Victoria does a good job, have developed some great fisheries over recent years. Overall, progressive and forward thinking. I know one official a few years ago said to me there would be no problem having a target 200000 for trout cod (ie stocking two hundred thousand for angling like the target one million for Murray cod). No problem doing it, would only take a few years to get rolling. The single obstacle is DELWP and their mates in Canberra who are determined to play spoilers and roll out their agenda. They are now untouchable, not even the politicians can pull them in to line now. That was one reason the Native Fish Strategy got shut down - it was an attempt by some to clip their wings but they now just work in other directions. One politician said to me he had meetings with one or two scientists and knew he was being hoodwinked every time and could't do a thing about it.

To illustrate their contempt for us consider this news item:

https://www.gbcma.vic.gov.au/news_event ... rease.html

It reports that the macca population in the Yea River has tripled, attributing it to tree planting, etc, etc. No mention of the fact that anglers have paid for many tens of thousands of maccas to be stocked in the adjacent Goulburn River, which is the likely source of the additional fish. We paid for the stocking, for a fish we cannot target in the Goulburn and Yea Rivers, and don't even get the courtesy of a mention. They must be laughing at us as fools (I know for a fact one or two do gloat about it).

Paul I don't know what can be done. Most people are oblivious to what is going on. They are happy with the fishing they have - the cod fishing is the best in my lifetime - oblivious to the wheels that are turning in the background. Ignorance is bliss. It is lucky you are overseas because my perception is this country is slowly falling apart. In the long term the nation faces bankruptcy, social breakdown is accelerating, there is increasing violence on our streets, no future for our children and we have the highest energy prices in the world - all driven by the twitter think that now pervades our politicians, universities and government agencies. We don't have politicians smart enough and with the guts to represent the average aussie. Its happening on the fish scene but also just about every other scene in the nation.

Best Wishes

Truedogz

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:16 pm

If I was in your shoes truedogz I would've walked into sexyland and bought a bunch Of The biggest blackest dildos they have and dumped them on every officials desk you talk about and told them each to shove one where the sun don't shine.

It's got me stuffed how you've put up with dealing with it for so long

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:36 pm

Hey truedgz,
I'm iffy on this maximum size thing with fish
Eg Murray Cod
Is there any scientific evidence that older fish keep the breed going
Younger humans, breed more (or try to) than elders

Gra

Paulanderson
Has liked: 51 times

Post by Paulanderson » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:34 pm

Thanks for the comments Will - as I said previously when I am back in the "Land of Oz" next year I will have to get up your way and catch up for a chat.

Return to “Department of Primary Industries / Fisheries”