New measures to safeguard stingrays

News and media releases from the Department of Primary Industries (DPI)
georgek

Re: New measures to safeguard stingrays

Post by georgek » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:51 pm

I'm just a recreational fisho mate who takes an interest in our fisheries and fishing opportunities. I'm concerned that our voices arn't being heard and we have people representing the majority without knowing the views of the majority.

I have contacted Jo Klemke who is the managing officer and Principal Policy Analyst of this NOtice and have sought significant information as to how the proposed Notice came to be. I have also contacted VR Fish to see the level of their involvement, as fisheries have stated they are consulting them. I can share information as it's obtained.

Ultimately I encourage everyone to issue their own submissions, but thought it would be good to discuss anything to try and consolidate our views and discuss solutions.

re-tyred
Has liked: 374 times

Post by re-tyred » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:56 pm

A person must not take, injure, damage, destroy or possess any ray that is more than 1.5 metres in width.

Penalty: 50 penalty units.
The current value of a penalty unit is $155.46 (as at 1 July 2016). =$7773
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:43 pm

Never harmed or targeted rays or banjos but have witnessed it once. This protection is a reaction to a non issue as the majority of anglers do the right thing. Fisheries Vic are fast becoming a communist dictatorship with the hazel wood fiasco from the early fish onwards then to this. Who are OUR representatives it's not futurefish who appear to use their position for commercial gain and I have no idea what VR fish does when it comes to this matter.

Perhaps a boycott call on fishing licenses may be a start as others have been inspirational in suggesting.

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:21 pm

To me it is an education issue not a legislation issue. The laws to stop harming fish you are not going to eat are already there. The one bag limit while not based on any science is no big deal to those that eat rays or skate. It would be a big deal to those that catch small ones to use as shark bait.
The big issue to me is no fishing for them,within 400 meters of a man made structure.
The fine for taking one over 1.5mtrs is plain stupid. I would like clarification on this. Is it just one taken near a structure or is it state wide and will it apply to commercial operators
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.

rb85

Post by rb85 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:25 pm

It is a strange rule what does a man made structure have to do with it.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:36 pm

rb85 wrote:It is a strange rule what does a man made structure have to do with it.
divers frequent piers and breakwalls a lot and they don't want to see a bunch of their pet rays drifting around minus their wings
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:39 pm

rb85 wrote:It is a strange rule what does a man made structure have to do with it.
This whole load of rubbish has been instigated by "pink Scuba" divers. They like to dive and interact with Rays around the jetties.
The only thing they don't seem to get is that the rays are hanging around the jetties because fishers are there with burley and scraps.
So I suggest that those with boats keep all there filleting scraps and dump there 500-600mtrs away from the jetties. The rays will soon move

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:37 pm

georgek wrote:
cobby wrote:
re-tyred wrote:My son targets Eagle rays to eat. He is land based and fishes from Jetties around the Bay. His right to fish has been taken away. If he is able to go for a fish now he will have to target snapper. So instead of catching 3-4 rays a year, and getting 5-10kg of meat of each he will have to take 20-30 pinkies. How is the overall fishing better by this rule.

I have spoken at length to the people behind this and they are anti animal use people. A lot are Vegans and members of PETA. One even told me there is no need for people to hunt or fish as there is plenty of food available in shops?????? If you think this will stop with this legislation you are sadly living in another world. These people will happily take away your right to fish. They will do it in small steps over many years.
When they are sick of looking at Rays under the jetties or the Rays leave because no one sits there burleying anymore they will one day decide gummy sharks are cute and want that banned..
That honestly doesn't surprise me in the least. I'll be putting in a submission that in no uncertain terms highlights just how ridiculous such pandering to groups like this one with absolutely zero scientific need to do so actually is
an argument against this from fisheries perspective is they also need to consider the community and community perceptions and values. This is why they talk about the "social license" and not just basing catch limits on science and research. However my view is that the proposed laws do not, cannot and will not address the issues being raised by Project Banjo or the concerns raised so far. They can't justify the implementation of new laws to reflect social values if the laws are not relevant to, or address the issues of concern. This is aside to the multitude of other reasons though, like the impact on fisho's as relevant stakeholders and the impact on the millions of fisherpeople.
If every hobby, activity, sport that interacts with the environment in any way, shape or form was subject to the so called 'social licence' there'd simply be none to participate in. The minority are always the ones who cry the loudest to force their ideals onto everyone else.

The fact that a government organization that is supposed to use science to base it's decisions is even contemplating such ridiculous legislation as a 400m ban from man made structures due to the screaming minority is downright deceitful, abhorrent and absolutely pathetic. It's a direct attack at some of the most disadvantaged fishing members of the community amongst others and like you said, doesn't address the reasons why project banjo came about.

I'd pm you on here or facey but I've had it with such a gutless organization quite clearly run by spineless softcocks and would offer nothing more than emotion. In fact I can't think of 1 single thing Fisheries Victoria has implemented in the last 5 years that's worth a pat on the back...

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:41 pm

re-tyred wrote:
This whole load of rubbish has been instigated by "pink Scuba" divers. They like to dive and interact with Rays around the jetties.
The only thing they don't seem to get is that the rays are hanging around the jetties because fishers are there with burley and scraps.
So I suggest that those with boats keep all there filleting scraps and dump there 500-600mtrs away from the jetties. The rays will soon move
Everyone should do it on their spots before they head in, leave nothing but fillets and skin for identification and tell fisheries to work out the rest. Then again you'd have better luck in a $50m tatts jackpot than coming across a fisheries officer

rb85

Post by rb85 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:43 pm

re-tyred wrote:
So instead of enforcing existing rules to catch people doing the wrong thing they are going to legislate and punish all fisherman law abiding or not and all to appease a small group of lobbyists. It's obvious that people who are stabbing rays then throwing them back don't want to keep them and will continue to do so as they aren't their target species.

Is this the group who are tangling lines on the piers.

Return to “Department of Primary Industries / Fisheries”