Reels continue to peel this tuna season

News and media releases from the Department of Primary Industries (DPI)
Blueyed1
Has liked: 5 times

Re: Reels continue to peel this tuna season

Post by Blueyed1 » Fri May 26, 2017 9:48 pm

re-tyred wrote:The estimated total weight of tuna caught and retained by recreational anglers in Victoria was about 240 tonnes (± 31 s.e.). The estimated number of boat trips by recreational anglers in Victoria where SBT was targeted was about 6200 (± 800 s.e.).
They are truly interesting facts and we all know that the SBT are becoming more and more plentiful. However, the other fact is that recreational SBT fisherman really do contribute to the local economy of places like Portland, Port Fairy, Warnambool and the like.
When answering questions at the Portland boat ramp asked by the survey people - you start to realise how significant we fisherman are to the economy. I buy local tackle, fuel, food, ice (frozen water), pay for ramp fees, accomodation and on occasion eat out at the local restaurant/ pub and use the local carwash. The list is long. Along the way you may stop in Hamilton for a feed also.

A trip out to the shelf with a day's trolling when I had a 150 HP Yamaha 2 stroke would use up 270 litres of fuel in a day, burn some oil, and then the car's diesel to top that off was 140 litres of feul on a return trip. Now that's $600 in coin just on 1 day's fishing. Now you hope there is a 3 or 4 way split so it's $150-200 cost each. Now that's for 2 fish each if you're lucky!!! If you're extra lucky you could pick up up to 5 albacore each (fat chance!). More likely zip with albacore..... So for those people who think we should have 2 per boat or 1 per person they have got to get their heads checked. There is no way my wife would let me go spend that much coin for no return. She'd make me stay at home and let the southwest coast economy suffer!!! It would even make it hard to justify taking the boat out at all. A healthy balance between cost and return is needed to make fishing like that sustainable unless you have money to burn.....

Joe

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Fri May 26, 2017 10:02 pm

I debate spending $70 to fish locally. So if i have to spend $200 per person+ for 1 fish per boat my wife kill me.

For example
At bermagui flathead limit is 10 per person. If you dont target different species not worth going out.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Fri May 26, 2017 10:21 pm

I never think about how much its costing if I did I would never go fishing. To me the chance to catch that one fish of a lifetime. We go to bermie every year and we only target marlin and we tagged and released all of them the last few years just being out there and the experience is what matters to me not did I get a return on my money my wife already knows flathead cost $300 a kilo on my boat

Blueyed1

Post by Blueyed1 » Fri May 26, 2017 10:37 pm

Nude up wrote:I never think about how much its costing if I did I would never go fishing. To me the chance to catch that one fish of a lifetime. We go to bermie every year and we only target marlin and we tagged and released all of them the last few years just being out there and the experience is what matters to me not did I get a return on my money my wife already knows flathead cost $300 a kilo on my boat
LOL. My wife can be quite tough....You must be on a good thing :thumbsup:
We all strive for that fish of a lifetime, but bits and pieces along the way helps a little for me. It helps keep the peace....and justifies that freedom....

Joe

Nude up

Post by Nude up » Sat May 27, 2017 8:35 am

Blueyed1 wrote:
Nude up wrote:I never think about how much its costing if I did I would never go fishing. To me the chance to catch that one fish of a lifetime. We go to bermie every year and we only target marlin and we tagged and released all of them the last few years just being out there and the experience is what matters to me not did I get a return on my money my wife already knows flathead cost $300 a kilo on my boat
LOL. My wife can be quite tough....You must be on a good thing :thumbsup:
We all strive for that fish of a lifetime, but bits and pieces along the way helps a little for me. It helps keep the peace....and justifies that freedom....

Joe
My wife breeds dogs I fish fair swap I reckon

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Post by re-tyred » Sat May 27, 2017 3:11 pm

My argument to the expensive fish debate is: If I played golf I would come home with nothing to eat every time.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Blueyed1

Post by Blueyed1 » Sat May 27, 2017 7:34 pm

re-tyred wrote:My argument to the expensive fish debate is: If I played golf I would come home with nothing to eat every time.
Re-tyred I like your reasoning. I'm going to use that one next time I come home empty handed. :super:

Joe.

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sat May 27, 2017 9:05 pm

re-tyred wrote:My argument to the expensive fish debate is: If I played golf I would come home with nothing to eat every time.
It is often true that it would cheaper to buy fish from the fish monger,than it is to catch it yourself, it is also true that if you count the cost of owning a boat, you could go on a life time worth of charters probably for less money.

but where is the fun in all that???

Where is the excitement, the disappointments, the near death experiences???

The thrill

We would travel hours to Lake Ecumbene. Spend the weekend/week trying not to freeze to death, sometimes catching trout, sometimes the boat didn't get into the water as it was too windy. Having an open camp fire, getting burnt one side and freezing the other, get home smelling of smoke that lasts about a week until all clothes are washed.

Trying eat your hot meal before it froze. Seeing how many clothes you could wear and still fit in your sleeping bag, only to wake up in the morning and the tent collapsed under the weight of snow.

Nude up

Post by Nude up » Sat May 27, 2017 9:24 pm

Sounds like a great weekend, who would pass on that

Blueyed1

Post by Blueyed1 » Sun May 28, 2017 9:58 am

A day out on the water is better than a day out at work or watching TV.....hands down!!!!

Joe

Return to “Department of Primary Industries / Fisheries”