Hazelwood Barra update

News and media releases from the Department of Primary Industries (DPI)
barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Re: Hazelwood Barra update

Post by barra mick » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:52 am

ratbag wrote:
barra mick wrote: agree.. we are a serious embarrassing organization.

The vic fisheries and vic gov should hang there heads in shame

I feel sick watching dead floating barra...

bm
Hey BM, it's a shame the parties involved - Worsteling/Kramer & Co, Vic Fisheries, VIC Gov, power station owner and anyone else who lobbied, funded and received $ via commercial means are not there now to manage it humanely. For years we see the removal of carp via electrolysis & euthanasia, surely it can't be that difficult to either dispatch the Barra or get down there with some food to feed them - assuming the water isn't too cold.

agree 100 percent.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:00 am

Ratbag it's pretty simple mate the gold rush was over after talking fishing and ifish (all attached to Tackleworld) promoted the barra fishery and there was a great influx of people spending up big to catch them.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:41 am

rb85 wrote:Something to consider is whether chairman and directors of organisations that are supposed to represent recreational anglers have conflicts of interests.
Conflicts of interest could stem from professional or personal ties to businesses or individuals where a director or chairmans influence could be favourable towards those businesses or individuals.
Potentially but I think it probably had more to do with the fact that Worstling and iFish are well known and have a lot of reach whereas who the **** knows who Mick from tackle world Morwell is?

That's not to say they couldn't have involved the local businesses a lot more than they did though.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:59 am

rb85 wrote:
yepi'mon wrote:
rb85 wrote:Such a shame if it's of any consolation some of us will go down as all time greats when it comes to Vic Barra.
A couple who will not are David Kramer and Paul Worstleing.

"Theres no early fish"
This No early fish thing really eats at you doesn't it?
At the time I was pretty disappointed now it's just a matter of criticism towards those who appear to put business interests before communities.
Fair enough mate. What's the punishment if one of your mates rock's up for a day of fishing in a sweet Tackle World branded fishing top? Do they walk the plank?

rb85

Post by rb85 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:05 pm

yepi'mon wrote:
rb85 wrote:
yepi'mon wrote:
rb85 wrote:Such a shame if it's of any consolation some of us will go down as all time greats when it comes to Vic Barra.
A couple who will not are David Kramer and Paul Worstleing.

"Theres no early fish"
This No early fish thing really eats at you doesn't it?
At the time I was pretty disappointed now it's just a matter of criticism towards those who appear to put business interests before communities.
Fair enough mate. What's the punishment if one of your mates rock's up for a day of fishing in a sweet Tackle World branded fishing top? Do they walk the plank?
Probably a lot of criticism maybe a ceremonial burning of the shirt with an effigy.

rb85

Post by rb85 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:07 pm

4liters wrote:
rb85 wrote:Something to consider is whether chairman and directors of organisations that are supposed to represent recreational anglers have conflicts of interests.
Conflicts of interest could stem from professional or personal ties to businesses or individuals where a director or chairmans influence could be favourable towards those businesses or individuals.
Potentially but I think it probably had more to do with the fact that Worstling and iFish are well known and have a lot of reach whereas who the **** knows who Mick from tackle world Morwell is?

That's not to say they couldn't have involved the local businesses a lot more than they did though.
Don't think the fishery needed any extra promotion let alone self promotion.

ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

Post by ChrisD » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:21 pm

I think it is easy to criticize the whole thing, after all hindsight is 20/20.
Regardless of the motives and the current outcomes - these guys actually gave it a crack.
And it was a success for a while with lots of positive feedback - had it continued along that path it would have been great.
I just think that anytime someone tries something to improve fishing good on them , everything won't be a success but that does not mean we should stop trying nor should we bag those that do try.

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:02 pm

ChrisD wrote:I think it is easy to criticize the whole thing, after all hindsight is 20/20.
Regardless of the motives and the current outcomes - these guys actually gave it a crack.
And it was a success for a while with lots of positive feedback - had it continued along that path it would have been great.
I just think that anytime someone tries something to improve fishing good on them , everything won't be a success but that does not mean we should stop trying nor should we bag those that do try.
Agree 100% chris, just because it didn't work this time doesn't mean we should give them a hard time. A positive attitude towards the fishery and the efforts put in may help to spark similar endeavours in the future
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Blueyed1
Has liked: 5 times

Post by Blueyed1 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:18 am

Bayrock wrote:According to the FB group "East Gippsland Fishing Reports" and their photo's the Barra in Hazelwood are dying off.
Guess the Vic winter got to them after all.
That is bad news and was going to be perhaps inevitable. Didn't they move some of the fish to another warmer spot/ channel/ tailrace?..or is this the outcome following that move...?

Joe.
Last edited by Blueyed1 on Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blueyed1
Has liked: 5 times

Post by Blueyed1 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:35 am

ChrisD wrote:I think it is easy to criticize the whole thing, after all hindsight is 20/20.
Thoroughly agree. No-one saw the Hazelwood power plant closure coming. The size of the Barra in the pics suggest we were going to have a great little fishery there. This fishery has failed due to circumstances out of the control of the people that had the tenacity to push for it and set it up.

Joe

Return to “Department of Primary Industries / Fisheries”