HAZELWOOD BARRA: AN ECONOMIC BOON FOR VALLEY

News and media releases from the Department of Primary Industries (DPI)
barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Re: HAZELWOOD BARRA: AN ECONOMIC BOON FOR VALLEY

Post by barra mick » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:29 pm

rb85 wrote:
barra mick wrote:I contributed with two fines from the paul worlsing zone
I never got caught and beat the clowns to it. :thumbsup:
I was halfway up it fighting a barra on one off my fines

The cops at least waited to the fish was landed

ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

Post by ChrisD » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:49 pm

From what I have heard the plan is to pump the artesian water from under the mine into the lake to warm it. It would need to be diverted from the cooling channel straight into the lake.
Similar ideas have worked elsewhere so may be worth a go.
The $700,000 is an overall calculation taken from people who stayed down there, bought food, shopped, bought fuel.....etc.
I do always wonder how they come up with the numbers but know it is taken from more than just what tackle they buy.
Overall I think it is all too easy to be naysayers for this project and many others. At least something was tried and if they find a way to keep it working all the better.
I have heard mixed reports on the fishing there direct from those who have fished it both successfully and unsuccessfully.........strangely enough it is generally those who fished in unsuccessfully that think it was a failure and have the most negative comments to be made.

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:18 am

ChrisD wrote:From what I have heard the plan is to pump the artesian water from under the mine into the lake to warm it. It would need to be diverted from the cooling channel straight into the lake.
The $700,000 is an overall calculation taken from people who stayed down there, bought food, shopped, bought fuel.....etc.
I do always wonder how they come up with the numbers but know it is taken from more than just what tackle they buy.
Overall I think it is all too easy to be naysayers for this project and many others. At least something was tried and if they find a way to keep it working all the better.
I have heard mixed reports on the fishing there direct from those who have fished it both successfully and unsuccessfully.........strangely enough it is generally those who fished in unsuccessfully that think it was a failure and have the most negative comments to be made.
agree....barra arnt like a snapper to catch and lots of fisherman thought you could just do easy like going out in pho and landing fish easily.

hopefully that pumping off hot water in helps

keep the alive.

By the end off the year there will be some big fish in there.they grow fast with all the tucker

Even when I fish in isolated hardly fished creeks in the kimberly or nt coast you can catch zero barra.

they shut down and there is nothibg you can do abt it.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:00 am

barra mick wrote:
rb85 wrote:
barra mick wrote:I contributed with two fines from the paul worlsing zone
I never got caught and beat the clowns to it. :thumbsup:
I was halfway up it fighting a barra on one off my fines

The cops at least waited to the fish was landed
Thankfully they were courteous.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:00 am

barra mick wrote:
ChrisD wrote:From what I have heard the plan is to pump the artesian water from under the mine into the lake to warm it. It would need to be diverted from the cooling channel straight into the lake.
agree....barra arnt like a snapper to catch and lots of fisherman thought you could just do easy like going out in pho and landing fish easily.

hopefully that pumping off hot water in helps

keep the alive.

By the end off the year there will be some big fish in there.they grow fast with all the tucker

Even when I fish in isolated hardly fished creeks in the kimberly or nt coast you can catch zero barra.

they shut down and there is nothibg you can do abt it.
The reward came with persistence.

Return to “Department of Primary Industries / Fisheries”