Estuary perch to be stocked into Maribyrnong River

News and media releases from the Department of Primary Industries (DPI)
cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Re: Estuary perch to be stocked into Maribyrnong River

Post by cobby » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:22 pm

Boonanza wrote:I didn't read the article but being an estuary species why wouldn't they put them in the fresh/brackish water where there are less predators.
They are. From Essendon and further upstream

greggo
Has liked: 5 times

Post by greggo » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:32 pm

bilby wrote:Of course, if you stock them into the Maribyrnong, you're also stocking them into the Yarra. And in terms of structure, the Docklands area provides some of the best there is in the state! As to the other question (how many survive), the main predator in the system would be mulloway once they are of a reasonable size.
There is a large population of EP's in the Yarra already, especially around the CBD.

Broomstick
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Broomstick » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:45 pm

greggo wrote:
bilby wrote:Of course, if you stock them into the Maribyrnong, you're also stocking them into the Yarra. And in terms of structure, the Docklands area provides some of the best there is in the state! As to the other question (how many survive), the main predator in the system would be mulloway once they are of a reasonable size.
There is a large population of EP's in the Yarra already, especially around the CBD.
And they're already in the 'nong too, I caught a little one in there last year

bilby

Post by bilby » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:20 pm

I've seen them in the Yarra for sure, but they don't seem to pop up on sites like this very often. How common are they, exactly? I used to fish for them all the time in Gippsland, so quite familiar with the techniques and territory they live in - is it worthwhile targeting them in the Yarra, then?

greggo
Has liked: 5 times

Post by greggo » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:29 am

bilby wrote:I've seen them in the Yarra for sure, but they don't seem to pop up on sites like this very often. How common are they, exactly? I used to fish for them all the time in Gippsland, so quite familiar with the techniques and territory they live in - is it worthwhile targeting them in the Yarra, then?
I was catching them last year on large paddletails while targeting Jews, they were everywhere, really annoying! A few guys successfully target them in the Yarra using HB's and surface lures.

ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

Post by ChrisD » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:45 am

Hats off to Fisheries for all their stocking efforts - when you look at the number of fish stocked all round the state each year it is mind blowing.

However when will they do more for the Yarra when it comes to stocking, access, etc??????.......it seems to be always missed....
The Yarra is probably one of, if not the most under rated waterways end to end in the state. And I can't understand why it misses out all the time.
Rant over

Again - good work Fisheries - it is great to see the efforts made

tommyfishunter

Post by tommyfishunter » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:43 am

ChrisD wrote:Hats off to Fisheries for all their stocking efforts - when you look at the number of fish stocked all round the state each year it is mind blowing.

However when will they do more for the Yarra when it comes to stocking, access, etc??????.......it seems to be always missed....
The Yarra is probably one of, if not the most under rated waterways end to end in the state. And I can't understand why it misses out all the time.
Rant over

Agree given the Yarra already supports self-sustaining populations of Murray Cod and Maquarie Perch it seems a no brainer to stock them, whats holding fisheries back.

Broomstick
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Broomstick » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:02 am

tommyfishunter wrote:
ChrisD wrote:Hats off to Fisheries for all their stocking efforts - when you look at the number of fish stocked all round the state each year it is mind blowing.

Rant over

Agree given the Yarra already supports self-sustaining populations of Murray Cod and Maquarie Perch it seems a no brainer to stock them, whats holding fisheries back.
The Yarra is outside the natural range of Murray Cod and Mac Perch, so they won't stock them in there. This argument seems a little redundant though considering they stock trout everywhere.

ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

Post by ChrisD » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:17 am

I Have questioned fisheries many times on stockings for the Yarra - and questions parks vic as well on improved access. Neither have ever given any satisfactory answers.
I even questioned some council, where the Yarra flows through, on the question of access and bank safety.
Seems the council solution is to fence those sections of bank off to prevent people getting near them.
Considering the money splashed around, pardon the pun, the Yarra just gets missed or forgotten about.
If the government is really serious about target 1 million, then improving access and fishability of one of the major rivers flowing from rural to suburban Melbourne would seem like a no brainer. :tease:

Again I dips me hat to Fisheries on the work they do and have done.........but time the Yarra stopped being overlooked

tommyfishunter

Post by tommyfishunter » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:28 am

In this day and age Fish don't have a natural range based on location.
Murray Cod would probably have made their way down their eventually without dams and and other white man infrastructure.
The only dominant species of fish in the Yarra is carp, would rather have Cod and Perch than carp.

Return to “Department of Primary Industries / Fisheries”