Victorian trout conference just around the corner

News and media releases from the Department of Primary Industries (DPI)
fishingvic
Site Admin
Site Admin
Has liked: 386 times

Post by fishingvic » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:30 am

Media Release
Wednesday 26 October 2016 | Media contact: Sarah Hetherington 0409 405 639
www.vic.gov.au/fisheries

Freshwater anglers are being reminded about the Talk Wild Trout conference at Mansfield on Saturday, 5 November, which is approaching fast.
Nearly 200 people have already registered for the event, but there are plenty of seats left for those keen to learn more about Victoria’s wild trout fisheries and the results of recent scientific studies.
Fisheries Victoria Executive Director, Travis Dowling, said the conference was funded by fishing licence fees and the State Government’s Target One Million plan, which aims to get more people fishing, more often and grow participation to one million by 2020.
“We want to share the results of important research so the entire trout fishing community better understands the key drivers and what we can all do to improve the quality of our valuable fisheries,” Mr Dowling said.
Conference topics include:
 an update on spawning success in 12 wild trout rivers;
 tagged trout movement in the Delatite River above Lake Eildon;
 how climate change is affecting Victorian trout rivers;
 angler driven river restoration efforts over the last 12 months, and
 instream habitat improvements.
The keynote speaker will be April Vokey from North America who is passionate about fly fishing, fisheries conservation and fish habitat. Ms Vokey will share her impressions of Australia’s trout fisheries having fished some of the world’s best in Europe, New Zealand, Chile, North America and Argentina.
Fisheries managers from Victoria will talk about the results of a brown trout stocking trial in the Howqua and Goulburn rivers. The results will surprise the keenest of trout anglers!
The conference is at the Mansfield Performing Arts Centre, between 9.30am and 4.30pm.
Tea and coffee will be available and lunch will be provided.
Registration for the conference is free and can be done via www.mansfieldmtbuller.com.au/twt
Learn more about the day at www.vic.gov.au/troutconference

mingle
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Victorian trout conference just around the corner

Post by mingle » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:31 pm

I know I keep banging on about it, but why don't they do this sort of thing for native species?

How about improving the stocking of natives, improving the habitats for natives and phasing out ferals?

Maybe because they aren't as shiny as trout? :-(

Mike.

Marty.A

Re: Victorian trout conference just around the corner

Post by Marty.A » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:03 pm

mingle wrote:I know I keep banging on about it, but why don't they do this sort of thing for native species?

How about improving the stocking of natives, improving the habitats for natives and phasing out ferals?

Maybe because they aren't as shiny as trout? :-(

Mike.
I agree with helping out the natives and giving them some attention as well, but phasing out the Feral's which I'm guessing you mean trout that has a large part of the fishing industry tied to it like tackle ,stores, anglers and the number of regional towns that trout fishing supports how would that effect all that if the Ferals are removed. I understand not everyone wants to fish for trout but then not everyone wants to fish for natives either.
My question is why can't both natives and salmonids' co -exist in a way that makes everyone happy??

Return to “Department of Primary Industries / Fisheries”