Barramundi Finally in Hazelwood

News and media releases from the Department of Primary Industries (DPI)
rb85
Rank: Rainbow Trout
Rank: Rainbow Trout
Posts: 1259
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:08 pm
Location: The Ocean

Re: Barramundi Finally in Hazelwood

Postby rb85 » Fri May 19, 2017 11:38 am

Blueyed1 wrote:I would think all this is a futile effort. Barra have evolved to live and breed in warmer temps. This is like a person being stranded on a desert island. The poor fish have nowhere to go apart from the aquifer and if you offer them food on their "island" - they're caught. This is just the end of a potentially great little fishery that some of our clubs had pushed for for many years. "Climate change" has killed this project...tragic!!!

Joe



Climate change or our utilities being owned by corporations?



Remove these ads.

rb85
Rank: Rainbow Trout
Rank: Rainbow Trout
Posts: 1259
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:08 pm
Location: The Ocean

Re: Barramundi Finally in Hazelwood

Postby rb85 » Fri May 19, 2017 11:40 am

greggo wrote:
rb85 wrote:
greggo wrote:
rb85 wrote:Your not wrong BM wonder if the temp near the artesian outlet is enough to keep the population alive.
Apparently they have minimal flow from the aquifer at the moment. They are testing the fish tolerance the to minerals in the water. If they are okay, more hot water can be accessed through other aquifers, with the intention to return the temp close to what it was originally. This all depends on how the Barra's cope with the water quality from the aquifer/s.


Is this being done by fisheries and the station operator engine?
It's Fisheries who are doing the work. They've been using Charlie Carp to catch the Barra using electro-fishing, relocating the caught fish into the heated channel to monitor the impact of the aquifer water quality.


Interesting why not just pump it through and see what happens.

rb85
Rank: Rainbow Trout
Rank: Rainbow Trout
Posts: 1259
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:08 pm
Location: The Ocean

Re: Barramundi Finally in Hazelwood

Postby rb85 » Fri May 19, 2017 11:46 am

greggo wrote:
rb85 wrote:
greggo wrote:
rb85 wrote:Your not wrong BM wonder if the temp near the artesian outlet is enough to keep the population alive.
Apparently they have minimal flow from the aquifer at the moment. They are testing the fish tolerance the to minerals in the water. If they are okay, more hot water can be accessed through other aquifers, with the intention to return the temp close to what it was originally. This all depends on how the Barra's cope with the water quality from the aquifer/s.


Is this being done by fisheries and the station operator engine?
It's Fisheries who are doing the work. They've been using Charlie Carp to catch the Barra using electro-fishing, relocating the caught fish into the heated channel to monitor the impact of the aquifer water quality.

t's good to see they are working on a solution to keep the fishery going.


Hopefully it works out if theres no other alternatives why not pump away and hope for the best though.

greggo
Rank: King George Whiting
Rank: King George Whiting
Posts: 452
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:05 am
Location: Berwick

Re: Barramundi Finally in Hazelwood

Postby greggo » Fri May 19, 2017 11:49 am

rb85 wrote:
greggo wrote:
rb85 wrote:
greggo wrote:
rb85 wrote:Your not wrong BM wonder if the temp near the artesian outlet is enough to keep the population alive.
Apparently they have minimal flow from the aquifer at the moment. They are testing the fish tolerance the to minerals in the water. If they are okay, more hot water can be accessed through other aquifers, with the intention to return the temp close to what it was originally. This all depends on how the Barra's cope with the water quality from the aquifer/s.


Is this being done by fisheries and the station operator engine?
It's Fisheries who are doing the work. They've been using Charlie Carp to catch the Barra using electro-fishing, relocating the caught fish into the heated channel to monitor the impact of the aquifer water quality.


Interesting why not just pump it through and see what happens.
The aquifer they are using doesn't output enough water to heat the lake. They need to access others as well. I'd reckon the cost of connecting additional aquifers would be a major factor, especially if they are unsure if it will work.

rb85
Rank: Rainbow Trout
Rank: Rainbow Trout
Posts: 1259
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:08 pm
Location: The Ocean

Re: Barramundi Finally in Hazelwood

Postby rb85 » Fri May 19, 2017 12:01 pm

greggo wrote:
rb85 wrote:
greggo wrote:
rb85 wrote:
greggo wrote:Apparently they have minimal flow from the aquifer at the moment. They are testing the fish tolerance the to minerals in the water. If they are okay, more hot water can be accessed through other aquifers, with the intention to return the temp close to what it was originally. This all depends on how the Barra's cope with the water quality from the aquifer/s.


Is this being done by fisheries and the station operator engine?
It's Fisheries who are doing the work. They've been using Charlie Carp to catch the Barra using electro-fishing, relocating the caught fish into the heated channel to monitor the impact of the aquifer water quality.


Interesting why not just pump it through and see what happens.
The aquifer they are using doesn't output enough water to heat the lake. They need to access others as well. I'd reckon the cost of connecting additional aquifers would be a major factor, especially if they are unsure if it will work.


That makes sense cheers

User avatar
4liters
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 3984
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:05 am

Re: Barramundi Finally in Hazelwood

Postby 4liters » Fri May 19, 2017 12:30 pm

rb85 wrote:
Blueyed1 wrote:I would think all this is a futile effort. Barra have evolved to live and breed in warmer temps. This is like a person being stranded on a desert island. The poor fish have nowhere to go apart from the aquifer and if you offer them food on their "island" - they're caught. This is just the end of a potentially great little fishery that some of our clubs had pushed for for many years. "Climate change" has killed this project...tragic!!!

Joe



Climate change or our utilities being owned by corporations?

Por que no los dos?
2015/16 Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm



Remove these ads.

Blueyed1
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 171
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:57 pm

Re: Barramundi Finally in Hazelwood

Postby Blueyed1 » Fri May 19, 2017 2:48 pm

You're right on.

rb85
Rank: Rainbow Trout
Rank: Rainbow Trout
Posts: 1259
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:08 pm
Location: The Ocean

Re: Barramundi Finally in Hazelwood

Postby rb85 » Fri May 19, 2017 6:54 pm

Wonder where poacher Paul and no early fish Kramer are now with all this or has the gold rush finished.

cobby
Rank: Gummy Shark
Rank: Gummy Shark
Posts: 1783
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:39 pm

Re: Barramundi Finally in Hazelwood

Postby cobby » Fri May 19, 2017 10:31 pm

4liters wrote:
rb85 wrote:
Blueyed1 wrote:I would think all this is a futile effort. Barra have evolved to live and breed in warmer temps. This is like a person being stranded on a desert island. The poor fish have nowhere to go apart from the aquifer and if you offer them food on their "island" - they're caught. This is just the end of a potentially great little fishery that some of our clubs had pushed for for many years. "Climate change" has killed this project...tragic!!!

Joe



Climate change or our utilities being owned by corporations?

Por que no los dos?


Speaka da engrish?

User avatar
deathray
Rank: Australian Salmon
Rank: Australian Salmon
Posts: 334
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:42 pm

Re: Barramundi Finally in Hazelwood

Postby deathray » Fri May 19, 2017 10:49 pm

rb85 wrote:Wonder where poacher Paul and no early fish Kramer are now with all this or has the gold rush finished.

I'm guessing your not gonna let this one go anytime soon.



Remove these ads.


Return to “Department of Primary Industries / Fisheries”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests