Coalition supports end of commercial netting in the bay

News and media releases from the Department of Primary Industries (DPI)
bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Re: Coalition supports end of commercial netting in the bay

Post by bowl » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:51 am

"it would be nice just once to be able take the family out n be able to catch dinner for once"
Crap

"You have to think about the big picture, allowing fish to have a safe haven... " load of be
Hate to break it to you most fisho s generally got out to kill n catch fish... With the government trying to increase the number of rec anglers... Don't know how the bay will become a safe haven for the fish with out eventually banning rec

fishing as well.
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:00 am

Tonyzee wrote:Face it cobby your time is up!! The majorty will always win the argument, no job is ever a certain thing even, if it means you have to change your life then get over it you might learn something new. Whinging, selfish, sooks?? Do you own a mirror?

No need for recreational fishers to be dicks about it, blokes losing their jobs is never nice as much as I agree with the need to phase out commercial fishing in the bay.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:39 pm

4liters wrote: blokes losing their jobs is never nice as much as I agree with the need to phase out commercial fishing in the bay.
Agree :cheers:

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:23 pm

Tonyzee wrote:Face it cobby your time is up!! The majorty will always win the argument, no job is ever a certain thing even, if it means you have to change your life then get over it you might learn something new. Whinging, selfish, sooks?? Do you own a mirror?
Whilst true the change has come about for all the wrong reasons.
Tonyzee wrote: Seeing commercial netters dropping their nets right in front of a local pier very recently, is nothing short of disgraceful, whatever few fish some of us were taking home for dinner are now gone to greedy consumers. What about all the other people, with other nets taking away their pastime?
Complete rubbish. I would say I fish more than average and I have seen netters in action many times but never dropping there nets right in front of a pier. Sure they work the shallows and spent plenty of time wading in knee deep water but I would suggest you are in the least exaggerating.
Tonyzee wrote: You have to think about the bigger picture allowing fish a safe haven in our bay could only be good for the fish, get there numbers up and then more and more breeders will produce a more sustainable outcome.
The KGW which is the main target of the netters spawn in bass strait hence the key nursery grounds are not targeted by netters in PPB. The current catch is sustainable as it has been for 100 years and should continue IMO.

Squid another key target live less than a year spawn regularly and are sustainable.

Flathead again sustainable and the influence both rec and commercial fishing has on them in minimal. Yet when they were dredging the yarra 95% of the flathead population in PPB died.
Tonyzee wrote: This year has been the leanest pickings for not just me but all my friends and family. It would be nice just once to take the family out fishing and be able to catch the dinner. If the bay was more populated with fish, then this maybe a more regular occurence. Isn't this what fishing is all about?
Garbage mate I have been fishing probably 20-25 days in the last 3 months and bagged out or very close to on every day bar 2.

I will admit it has been a very strange season, odd weather odd ocean currents odd water temps and fish have been found in locations they are normally not. Perhaps you and your friends need to think outside the box a little.

If we want to make things better we need to look after the environment ie improve water quality by reduce pollution and run off flowing into the bay. Put in no anchor zones for weedbanks and areas with key structure.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:39 pm

Seeing commercial netters dropping their nets right in front of a local pier very recently, is nothing short of disgraceful, whatever few fish some of us were taking home for dinner are now gone to greedy consumers. What about all the other people, with other nets taking away their pastime? You have to think about the bigger picture allowing fish a safe haven in our bay could only be good for the fish, get there numbers up and then more and more breeders will produce a more sustainable outcome.

I say bring the end of commercial netting quicker, this year has been the leanest pickings for not just me but all my friends and family. It would be nice just once to take the family out fishing and be able to catch the dinner. If the bay was more populated with fish, then this maybe a more regular occurence. Isn't this what fishing is all about?
My job goes, and so does your nice, quality bait supply for the local tackle shop.
Judging by your comment of leanest year, God knows how you'd go having to catch your own bait competing with all the extra recs around stealing the fish you feel so privileged to. And I doubt you'd stump up the cash for soon to be expensive Gars etc. from the fish mongers.
If it's so bloody hard to catch a fish, you and your mates need to open your eyes and adapt a hell of a lot better. Weather's been completely arse about and so have some fish behaviour. I've still got a freezer full of bait and fillets from both boat and landbased (I'm not a commercial, only a rec). It's not that bloody hard to use a few brain cells and change with it.

Safe haven? Ban recs from all bays and inlets too. Until such time, there's no such thing as a safe haven. Since you're so gunho over a safe haven I'll start petitioning for ALL fishing to be banned in all bays and inlets just for you. Happy?

So again, if you can't catch a fish now when the bay is as good as it's been since the days of zero bag limits and scallop dredging, and seriously believe that banning pros from the bay will have a serious affect on your catch rate, then you need your head checked. Maybe it's you who should look in the mirror, and check your angling skills.

Tonyzee

Post by Tonyzee » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:10 pm

Well nice to here people sticking up for dirty netters, hey maybe there are good commercial fishers but nothing can deny what I saw twice myself and just recently informed by another fisho, I suppose you guys just need video evidence, definitely will provide this next time I see it. Met a guy last night on the pier and told him about the netters and he said no way they are banned from November last year, just proves how most people think it has already stopped, hey was so dirty having fished multiple locations for no fish that day.

Ok so you guys here say you bag out almost every time and have freezers full of fish, you are totally missing the point, probably have a boat that's for sure, people doing that are just plain greedy, how much can you really eat? But I digress.

Personal attacks on my fishing ability are just rubbish, any place, any time I will challenge anyone to a fishing comp (C&R so we don't drain the bay), how do you know how well I do? No idea people. There are other fishos that I fish with at times say that I am so lucky catching so many fish where there aren't that many, can't imagine how people feel catching nothing on those days. I even offer fish to people that haven't been so lucky but alas can't even catch enough for myself.

This thread may as well get locked as it will obviously get out of hand, opinion is what I expressed. And all we get from this forum are haters, disappointing we used to get so much fishing insight and now its not even interesting. Once a day user, to once a fortnight user.

Anyway ban the nets for good in the bays, if a fish eats a bait its the fish's choice!!

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:27 pm

Tonyzee wrote:.....................................................................
Personal attacks on my fishing ability are just rubbish, any place, any time I will challenge anyone to a fishing comp (C&R so we don't drain the bay)..
..................................................................................................................................................................................................
This thread may as well get locked ......................
Yes! Feel free to start up another thread if you want to organise your 'pro - netters vs anti-netters comp'! :)
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

Return to “Department of Primary Industries / Fisheries”