Wonga Park morning.

longbob

Wonga Park morning.

Post by longbob » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:48 am

Had a couple of hours at Wittons Reserve and caught [and lost] my first carp. Got it into the bank, but it slipped from my grasp and the hook pulled out.
Now a couple of things. Firstly, I never knew carp grew that big over here. It must have been about 4 kg. Secondly, I never knew they could put up such a fight. I just didn't know what the hell I had hooked initially - submarine, Murray cod or yellowfin tuna. That fish seriously gave me a fight Just disappointed it got back into the waterway.
While on the subject of the Yarra, I have changed my approach re tackle. I now use only split shot with small hook and bait, or for larger worm or grubs, yabbies, no weight at all. Not getting snagged anywhere near as much, and can still fish the areas I like. The main channel seems a waste of time, and the eddies and backwaters are easy to get light weights into. I can still fish the main channel by just letting the bait trundle down anyhow :water:

ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

Re: Wonga Park morning.

Post by ChrisD » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:46 am

Witton's can produce some large carp at time, well done on hooking up. Haven't been for a while, it seemed to get over fished during the Christmas/New year break. Might be time to get back there ---- when i have time. you can normally get on to some good Mac's through there as well.
I have no idea where the idea that carp don't fight comes from - everyone I hook up to gives a good account for itself, and on light tackle makes it a load of fun. Unless you catch them on a 10ft rod with 20kg line and just skull drag them in :)
The eddies and back waters, particularly below rapids are the way to go along the Yarra. The main flow does produce but just not as well.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Re: Wonga Park morning.

Post by DougieK » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:39 pm

Picked up a 63cm carp last night, first decent sized carp. It gave me a solid 5 minute fight. They are actually quite good fun to catch. Having fished the fresh almost exclusively with lures i've never got one, only listened to people complain about them before, I was quite quite pleasantly suprised.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Return to “Yarra Valley and surrounds”