Yarra today

longbob

Yarra today

Post by longbob » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:46 pm

Put in a few hours at Wonga Park this morning for zero. Had been fishing for a couple of hours when a group of yahoos decided to swim in the same pool. At the risk of sounding like a grumpy old man, there seems to be a distinct lack of common sense and courtesy in evidence today.
So packed my stuff and moved a long way away.
I find I am losing a lot of terminal tackle in the river due to the abundance of structure - logs, branches etc. Mostly just hooks sinkers and swivels but it's annoying. About 50% mortality rate. This is with both pater noster and running sinker rigs. Tried just hook and bait, but limits distance. Anyone else got any good tips.
Hope the Yarra fires up soon or I'll be fishing in my septic tank :crazy:

Rod Bender

Re: Yarra today

Post by Rod Bender » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:48 pm

If you are losing tackle you are fishing where you should be - in the snags! Keep it up and your luck will change.
cheers
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:58 pm

Depending on the current you could use a sliding float rig, where the line freely passes through the float with only a pea sinker and hook attached, you control the depth of the bait sinking.

as I said depending how fast the current is..
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Kev209

Post by Kev209 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:26 am

If you want a bit of weight for casting use some mud, small sugar cubes, or ice with a hole through for your line these dissolve pretty quick and you have an unweighted bait.

ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

Post by ChrisD » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:03 am

Hey Longbob, I've been having the same problem on the Yarra from heritage golf course through to Wonga Park. Zero bites and lots of lost tackle. Not sure if it is the heat or this section has come under increased fishing pressure, but this would be the worst I have seen it in a number of years. All we can do is keep trying and keep fingers crossed it will turn soon.

Return to “Yarra Valley and surrounds”