Lilydale Lake

biggar

Re: Lilydale Lake

Post by biggar » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:10 am

I'm just not a fan of family fishing lakes anyway, can't stand yarrambat lake!!
Angling is the name given to fishing by people that can't fish

s13tsilvia

Post by s13tsilvia » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:11 am

drive 5 minutes more and go down to the yarra, at least you will catch something. although the view of all the fit young lady runners will be diminished....

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:00 am

Novice wrote:Hi,
I'm local and walk there often and always ask how people are going when they are fishing. I have seen people catching ratty little trout in the past few months, nothing impressive.
The lake was drained mid 2012 to try to control a weed problem and remained as a series of muddy ditches for several months, so I guess everything in there has either been stocked post end of 2012 or has migrated in there from the Olinda creek.
Paul
Im not sure what weed was a problem in the lake but aquatic weed is habitat for heaps of insects, shrimp, bait fish etc. My guess is that with the removal of growth, there is less food for the fish...
When I got time,
I wet a line cos Im a junkie,
been fishin since a kid,
I like it cos it numbs me..

biggar

Post by biggar » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:23 pm

That's a nice trout btw chris!
Angling is the name given to fishing by people that can't fish

ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

Post by ChrisD » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:46 pm

The lake was drained to kill off - egeria densa, a south American weed that had infested the lake.
But after a complete draining like that i am sure the whole ecosystem will take some time to recover.

Thanks Bigger - nearly lost it at the bank, was very happy once I had it landed, and happier to watch it swim away for another day ....... then they drained the lake D'oh

deathray
Has liked: 8 times

Post by deathray » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:07 pm

I find it strange that they would drain a lake of such minimal value for an aquatic weed. Lilydale retarding basin is probably more accurate than 'lake'.

jessos1

Post by jessos1 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:11 pm

I fished it not even a week after it was stocked and everyone i talked to had nothing. Last time i fished it with all sorts of lures, power baits and scrubbies not even a sniff but just after that a facebook friend had caught 3 nice reddies on soft plastics there. It's a shame that its been rubbish fishing for a while now I think it might take a while for it to get up and going again, until then yarra behind the golf course :).
PB's (most are estimates no brag mat) Carp 40cm, Redfin 35cm, Silver Trevally 27cm, Eel 1m+, Mullet 25cm, Sand whiting 20cm.
Wish list: Rainbow and Brown Trout, Bigger Redfin, Gummy Shark, Estuary Perch and Snapper

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:34 pm

ChrisD wrote:Biggest trout I ever caught was in Lilydale lake a few years back......it is also the only fish I have ever caught there.
I think it has been rubbish ever since they drained it. That combined with it being over fished since it refilled and and stocked has not helped. I have given up on it for now, maybe in another year or two, with a few more stockings, it will bounce back.
Mind you i find the same at Rowville and Don Lake - they all seem to have fished rubbish over the last couple of years.
The Yarra is certainly a much better prospect.
Cracking fish from lilydale! Well done ChrisD!!
jessos1 wrote:I fished it not even a week after it was stocked and everyone i talked to had nothing. Last time i fished it with all sorts of lures, power baits and scrubbies not even a sniff but just after that a facebook friend had caught 3 nice reddies on soft plastics there. It's a shame that its been rubbish fishing for a while now I think it might take a while for it to get up and going again, until then yarra behind the golf course :).
Apart from the eye candy, theres not much to raise the heartbeat at lilydale lake. I reckon nearby streams are a much better proposition!

cheers
When I got time,
I wet a line cos Im a junkie,
been fishin since a kid,
I like it cos it numbs me..

nico72

Post by nico72 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:41 pm

Hi guys, new to the site here. I'm glad I just read all of the above because I have been taking my kids down to the lake with their new rods without luck !. I thought it was just me and my lack of fishing skills but it sounds like the Lake has very few fish in it !.

A few of you have mentioned the Yarra River. When you say the golf course area, is that also near a gun club and a remote controlled aeroplane club ?. I'd love the kids to be able to catch and release something before the school hols are over !.

ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

Post by ChrisD » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:32 pm

nico72 wrote:
A few of you have mentioned the Yarra River. When you say the golf course area, is that also near a gun club and a remote controlled aeroplane club ?. I'd love the kids to be able to catch and release something before the school hols are over !.

That are near the gun club is worth a crack, ive had carp and redfin there.
the golf course is in chirnside, carp and eels are common there.
trick with the yara is to keep moving, give a spot a try of half an hour or so, and if no joy move along and try somewhere else.

Return to “Yarra Valley and surrounds”