Accidental PB on the Yarra......just

shaynebennett

Accidental PB on the Yarra......just

Post by shaynebennett » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:30 pm

With the week off this week, I thought I'd head down to the Yarra today to drown some scrubbies I had left over from my weekend in South Oz.

It was a warm morning so I was hopeful of getting a few bites. It wasn't long before the jingle jangle of bells interrupted my form guide reading. Great fight was then had, with an eel stripping drag off my reel. Big fattie it was.
002resize.jpg
002resize.jpg (178.34 KiB) Viewed 785 times
After this I had plenty of nibbles but nothing major. Then, as the bites dried up and I started to consider what I was going to do for the afternoon......WAMMO!!! :r My little Catana bent over in half! Big long fight with the adrenaline and the heart pumping like crazy. Struggled down the rock face to land this absolute beauty
006resize.jpg
Went 75cm. My best cod by a whole cm! Now, I know what you're thinking - cod season is closed! I am well aware of this and I was by no means targeting this fish. BUT (and I'm sure Milk Man will attest to this) in my fishing spot, it's just not possible to safely take the hook out of a fish with it still in the water. You just can't access the waters edge properly. So I made the decision to net it, take it out and place it on a wet mat so I could take the hook out without tangling up. While it was there, a quick measure and very bad (rushed) photograph and put him back to swim off safely and unharmed. Was an absolutely fantastic looking fish. Healthy and strong as an ox. Was a privilege to get that close to it.
Anyway, after this I got outsmarted by about 20 fish! Bangg Caught one small Macca and decided to call it a day. Another good little session on an annual leave day. Except for when returning the cod to the water I slipped and nearly joined him for a swim!!! :help: Just the most ridiculous spot to fish from!
If only I could fish more

SFP Chick

Re: Accidental PB on the Yarra......just

Post by SFP Chick » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:34 pm

You tha man !!!

:a_goodjob: :a_goodjob:

biggar

Post by biggar » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:35 pm

nice job!!!!
Angling is the name given to fishing by people that can't fish

Milk man

Post by Milk man » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:44 pm

Bugger off! Don't try n drag me down with you haha.. I bet you were using 30lb braid, 5/0 hooks and the biggest piece of cheese you could find haha.. Nah it's a bad place the fish, hence we dubbed it the "c hole" lol.
M.I.L.F- Man I Love To Fish!

ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

Post by ChrisD » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:45 pm

Excellent catch, your section of the Yarra just keep producing, shows there are fish there.....even if I can't seem to get onto the buggers at present.
Great work and congrats on the catch

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Raulfc7 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:56 pm

We'll done Shayne that's looks like a thumper :thumbsup:
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

malleestump

Post by malleestump » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:09 pm

Milk man wrote:Bugger off! Don't try n drag me down with you haha.. I bet you were using 30lb braid, 5/0 hooks and the biggest piece of cheese you could find haha.. Nah it's a bad place the fish, hence we dubbed it the "c hole" lol.

What are mates for Shane I knew milkman would be an alibi.Great fish whether in or out of season.Your a true Cod fisho now if not after the last fish meet we had.cheers Gus :thumbsup: ps what happened in SA?
Last edited by malleestump on Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you are looking for the person to change your life.look in the mirror .Cheers gus

drew 2

Post by drew 2 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:34 pm

Well done shayne :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Must be a healthy bit of water your fishing in mate,i'd be keeping it a close secret.

It is an introduced (native) species to those waters & to grow to that size suggests there may be a self sustaining population in there thats been around for awhile.Probably hasnt done much for the local macca & blackfish population though.

andyk

Post by andyk » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:58 pm

Nice fish well done what a fat bastard must b plenty of tucker for the fish .

shaynebennett

Post by shaynebennett » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:39 pm

malleestump wrote:
Milk man wrote:Bugger off! Don't try n drag me down with you haha.. I bet you were using 30lb braid, 5/0 hooks and the biggest piece of cheese you could find haha.. Nah it's a bad place the fish, hence we dubbed it the "c hole" lol.

What are mates for Shane I knew milkman would be an alibi.Great fish whether in or out of season.Your a true Cod fisho now if not after the last fish meet we had.cheers Gus :thumbsup: ps what happened in SA?
Plenty of small callop (yellas), a silver perch, a catfish and 2 carp. Only spent about 3 hours fishing and between 3 of us we pulled in around 15 fish so not a bad session in 36 degree heat. Managed 2 yellas to take home for a feed. Around the 38cm mark each.
If only I could fish more

Return to “Yarra Valley and surrounds”