donuts on the Yarra @ Heritage Golf course

ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

donuts on the Yarra @ Heritage Golf course

Post by ChrisD » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:15 am

Decided that last night was too good a night to pass up, so headed up to the Yarra behind the Heritage Golf Course in Wonga Park.
Found a nice bend, full of snags and settled in. River is still running reasonably high and fast, all this rain that is expected. Cast out right among the snags and waited.
Within 10 mins the bites started, little, light and sharp bites - and the bait was gone.
Over the next 2 hours I reduced the hook size and worm size on the hook, was determine to catch what was biting - finally a hook up - bloody little redfin about 10 cm long, and it spat the hook at the bank so I didn't even land it......
I suspect that was all that was biting last night - must have found the redfin nursery. now just have to find out where their parents are hanging out.
But still a nice night by the river - much better than sitting at home watch TV.

Milk man

Re: donuts on the Yarra @ Heritage Golf course

Post by Milk man » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:01 pm

No good mate.. I might have a crack on the weekend depending on the weather. Sunday looking like the better option unless it buckets down on Saturday making the river high and fast
M.I.L.F- Man I Love To Fish!

ChrisD

Post by ChrisD » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:16 am

Yes all this rain the river is flowing fast - I think once things start to dry up and the river slows the action will be better.
Next trip I plan to tackle the section between the golf course and Witton's reserve - bit of a walk but may be worth a try. The areas close to the car parks are well fished, might be time to go that bit further along.
Let's us know how you go if you get there Sunday.

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:42 am

ChrisD wrote:.............................................................................................................................................
Next trip I plan to tackle the section between the golf course and Witton's reserve - bit of a walk but may be worth a try. The areas close to the car parks are well fished, might be time to go that bit further along.
Sounds like a plan! What sort of fish do you expect / hope to catch in this area?
ChrisD wrote:..............................................................................................................................................- finally a hook up - bloody little redfin about 10 cm long, and it spat the hook at the bank so I didn't even land it......
I suspect that was all that was biting last night - must have found the redfin nursery. now just have to find out where their parents are hanging out.
One possible way of finding their parents is to use one of the small redfin as bait! It is fine to use them as bait but only from the waters where you catch the actual redfin to be used. Perhaps a method you would not want to try if you have your children with you!
thanks
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

ChrisD

Post by ChrisD » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:51 am

Hi Jim - At Witton's the main catches are carp and Mac perch, the occasionly eel, behind the golf course the little bugger Redfin, Carp and eels - so I am working on the theory that going to the more isolated section between the two will produce a similar mix - maybe get on to the bigger redfin - there is approx 4 kms of river to try out between these two points. Good idea on using the small ones as bait - just have to manage to catch one first :), but will certainly keep it in mind.

Return to “Yarra Valley and surrounds”