Grubsssssssssss

lemonbuttersauce

Re: Grubsssssssssss

Post by lemonbuttersauce » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:55 pm

All I know is that Bardi's are bloody awesome. I have tried to catch them my last few trips to the Murray. Had a quick lesson from a local, but they are hard to find if you are not real sure what you are doing.

I have tried the small grubs that we all find when digging worms. Never even had a bite on them.

Those Bardi's must be a real treat to the fish!

eslop

Post by eslop » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:15 pm

Have a look at this video. Interesting and good footage. http://youtu.be/3rsFAx8Myqw

drew 2 wrote:Wood grubs are next to useless for natives imo,same as scarab or cockchafer grub's that are found in the soil. Bardi's are a different story, but they are hard work to find & expensive to buy.

There is no reg banning grubs during closed cod season,however you are not allowed to target cod.

Vic has a rather soft approach to this reg unfortunately :down: . NSW treats it a bit more seriously using grubs in prime cod waters eg mulwala will get you a fine,so too trolling big lures around,they dont buy the bull excuse of your chasing yellas. Just ask the so called "sport's fishers" that were fined a few years back for doing this at mul or the guy up around barham that dragged a metre + cod, caught accidentally out of season,for a happy snap on the bank that ended up on the front page of a local paper.It wasn't an immediate release in the eyes of the fisheries.

There is a reason for the closed season,the male will sit over the nest,protecting it for up to 28 day's,it wont even leave to feed.if it is removed,even for a short time,most will not return,they abandon the nest.
Cheers, Scott.

pb's
Murray Cod: 92 on spinnerbait, 81 on surface lure, 74 on bait
Golden Perch: 49 on TN60
Redfin: 41 on TN60
Brown Trout: 68 on SP
Rainbow: maybe 10
Mudmarlin: 78

longbob

Post by longbob » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:39 am

I didn't think the Yarra was regarded as 'prime cod water'. I know they are there and are caught, but the river is fished for many other species starting with trout and blackfish all the way thru to carp. So to say having a wood grub on when fishing the Yarra is targeting cod is drawing a very dubious conclusion. The Yarra is more like a lucky dip :gone:

Return to “Yarra Valley and surrounds”