Trout yarra ranges 8/9/13

drewb

Re: Trout yarra ranges 8/9/13

Post by drewb » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:36 am

rixter wrote:
ducky wrote:
MrI-fish wrote:My waders are coming and so are my holidays. Big trout look out. Still surprised we didn't snare any in Noojee though. Next time for sure.

Sent from my XT925 using Tapatalk 2
I went for a drive today with the missus and boy. Pulled into noojee and I had the briefest of flicks into the latrobe rive near the playground. What an awesome waterway. I didn't have high hopes and I didn't pull any fish but its a great looking river. I need to spend a day around those parts.
Yeah it's an awesome area Ducky. Lots of Rivers around this area all within around half an hour max from each other.
Not to far to the west of Noojee you have the Yarra junction/Ada River , In Noojee and east and west out of Noojee the Latrobe river .
Around 15 minutes out of Noojee to the east you have the Tooronga river ,and the Tooronga Falls , great area for a day out, or to camp free at the base of the falls and fish.
A bit more to the east about another 25 minutes of Noojee you have the Tanjil River , Tyers River , Blue Rock Dam , Big Thompson River and other local rivers around Walhalla / also another area for a great family day out and to do some fishing.

I'm going to go and hit the Thompson River really soon , check out what the fishing is like at the moment. If all is good I may look at organising a weekend out around there for anyone interested maybe. Huge free camping area along the Thompson river around 'Horseshoe Bend' with a great area to fish . Only 10 minitues away from the town of Walhalla in case anyone is not keen on camping . There is some cheap nice accommodation around Walhalla if your into that.

Anyway , I'll get up there soon and get back with a report on the fishing up there.

Cheers , Rick.
Hi Rick,

How is the Toorongo River / Falls as a place to camp and fish? I haven't done much fishing up that way, but looking to find some good trout streams.

I fished the Tarago River above and below the reservoir on Saturday without any luck.

Cheers,

Andrew

rixter

Post by rixter » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:02 am

drewb wrote:
rixter wrote:
ducky wrote:
MrI-fish wrote:My waders are coming and so are my holidays. Big trout look out. Still surprised we didn't snare any in Noojee though. Next time for sure.

Sent from my XT925 using Tapatalk 2
I went for a drive today with the missus and boy. Pulled into noojee and I had the briefest of flicks into the latrobe rive near the playground. What an awesome waterway. I didn't have high hopes and I didn't pull any fish but its a great looking river. I need to spend a day around those parts.
Yeah it's an awesome area Ducky. Lots of Rivers around this area all within around half an hour max from each other.
Not to far to the west of Noojee you have the Yarra junction/Ada River , In Noojee and east and west out of Noojee the Latrobe river .
Around 15 minutes out of Noojee to the east you have the Tooronga river ,and the Tooronga Falls , great area for a day out, or to camp free at the base of the falls and fish.
A bit more to the east about another 25 minutes of Noojee you have the Tanjil River , Tyers River , Blue Rock Dam , Big Thompson River and other local rivers around Walhalla / also another area for a great family day out and to do some fishing.

I'm going to go and hit the Thompson River really soon , check out what the fishing is like at the moment. If all is good I may look at organising a weekend out around there for anyone interested maybe. Huge free camping area along the Thompson river around 'Horseshoe Bend' with a great area to fish . Only 10 minitues away from the town of Walhalla in case anyone is not keen on camping . There is some cheap nice accommodation around Walhalla if your into that.

Anyway , I'll get up there soon and get back with a report on the fishing up there.

Cheers , Rick.
Hi Rick,

How is the Toorongo River / Falls as a place to camp and fish? I haven't done much fishing up that way, but looking to find some good trout streams.

I fished the Tarago River above and below the reservoir on Saturday without any luck.

Cheers,

Andrew
G'day mate, For starters , The Tarago River has been pretty low, and only producing a few fish early morning or late arvo lately.
Too warm and dirty lately imo / it probably won't pick up in this river again until late February to throughout March. I've checked it out a few times recently and it hasn't been good. Plenty of Tupong about atm if you just want to catch some fish , although all small around the 20cm mark / catching on a very small hook / with worms / running sinker on the bottom.
The Labertouche creek and Bunyip river ( lower parts of the Tarago) have actually been better fishing the last 4 weeks or so compared to the Tarago river.

If you have a hunt around the shallows or smaller creeks on a warm day , you can usually find a few decent size crayfish bathing in the sun/shallows atm, if your into a bit of crayfish hunting / great fun for the kids. ....anyway...

Now , Toorongo falls ! . This is an absolute awesome place just to relax camping for a weekend with a bit of track walking along the river and waterfalls ( it can all be done in a day easily also if out just for day trip / it's worth it imo !) .
This are at the base of the falls has a HUGE free camping ground that runs along the Toorongo river / also an awesome river to fish for trout / blackfish or crayfish. You can have open fires in the campground and it has toilets / no showers / is totally free/ You can also ride your own rec registered Dirt bikes around this area.

Not far from here , about 45 mins away to the east is Walhalla , also another great free absolutely HUGE camping spot along the great big Thompson River on 'Horseshoe Bend'. Fishing in this river around this area is about as good as it gets for fresh water LB fishing in vic ( apart from the highlands ). All sorts of fresh water fish / natives included / can be caught around here, no place for boats as it is a semi fast running river, then fast , then slow / shallows , deeps pools etc , more for wading. The list of great stuff about this place goes on and on, google up more info in you want more. Fishing just the horseshoe bend alone from the bank produces some great fish / if your not into wading.

If anyone wants the maps from Google earth to all the free camping grounds and good fishing spots, just yell out and I'll hunt them up for you all ;) .

Cheers , Rick.
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

drewb

Post by drewb » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:37 am

Thanks mate, sounds great.

I think I need to get the car loaded up now all the kids are back at school and get out there!

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:15 am

Tooronga Falls sounds like a top spot Rick, would love to fish the fast water sections. They should be holding fish with the hot weather conditions you're having there in Vic.
cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Return to “Yarra Valley and surrounds”