Wonga Park

longbob

Wonga Park

Post by longbob » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:20 am

After 8 trips without a bite I gave up Jumping Creek Reserve to try Reserve Rd Wonga Park this morning.
I was there from first light, and actually had one bite :woohoo: :woohoo:
So 1 bite in 9 outings on the Yarra leads me to believe it is currently flat fishwise.
I have been fishing running sinker as advised on this forum, but have been wondering about fishing a scrub worm with a small split shot.
I don't cast out to the strong current, mostly trying the still waters.
Is this set-up worth a try??? :gone:

Milk man

Re: Wonga Park

Post by Milk man » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:29 am

You can fish scrub worms un weighted, just cast to the edge of the current and let the water bring your bait into the slower water. It will look more natural
M.I.L.F- Man I Love To Fish!

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:58 am

Try a clear bubble float with a spilt shot & your worm bait suspended under it , this will cover more ground & adjust the of bait depth according to conditions ;)

ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

Post by ChrisD » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:18 pm

Which way from the car park did you head?
This is one of my very frequented locations along the Yarra. It is a nice stretch of river bank.
Around Christmas/New year it was on fishing very well, but has been slow the last couple of months.
We normally use garden worms on a running sinker rig, or plain old corn on a running sinker. Carp and Mac perch were the main catches, but of late even the carp are off the bite. Hoping that changes this weekend, as i hope to get up there once or twice.

longbob

Post by longbob » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:47 pm

Thanks Chris. I went downstream to the big pool on the bend. Lottsa fish jumping which I assume were trout. It looks to be a lovely body of water, and must have a lot of nice fish in it.
As it was my first time, it was just an arbitrary choice to go down, based on Google maps. I figured a nice deep pool would be on the bend.
Hope they start biting again soon. Guess for Easter there will be people evrywhere there.

Fishsniper

Post by Fishsniper » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:20 pm

Bad luck Longbob, you should try using Maggots for bait, you should be able to buy from Tackle stores and use them in conjunction with a burley cage which basicly runs down to a swivel and then tie a trace of about 40cm to a hook, you have to fill the little burley cage with maggots and keep casting to the same spot, you will need a very small hook about size 12 and put 3 or 4 maggots on hook, I bet you catch a fish ;)
You can google how to fish with Maggots
Give it a go

ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

Post by ChrisD » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:22 pm

I normally head the other direction, find that way tends to be quieter, and the bank tends to be more accessable.
The kayaks and swimmers all seem to head in the direction you went. Do plan to give that area a go at some stage, just haven't gotten that far.
Hate to burst your bubble but odds are it was probably small carp doing the jumping, see them doing it alot. Not sure why the mud suckers jump but they do. However that said i would love to be proven wrong and find they are trout.
The way the weather is looking you will find most of the swimmers etc will steer clear of the river, so it should be good for a nice quiet fish.

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:10 pm

ChrisD wrote:.....Hate to burst your bubble but odds are it was probably small carp doing the jumping, see them doing it alot. Not sure why the mud suckers jump but they do. However that said i would love to be proven wrong and find they are trout.....
Unfortunately Chris, I don't think you will be proved wrong!!!!
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

longbob

Post by longbob » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:17 pm

Thanks guys for the info. I will certainly walk upstream next time Chris. I hope you have some luck over there. They can't stay quiet forever
I din't realise carp jumped like that. Bit pissadointing if they were all carp.
Re maggots - I have been trying to grow my own but there seems to be an absence of flies. I even put my socks out to attract them.
Plenty of wasps, but no maggots so far
This forum is so great, to have the experience of seasoned anglers made available to novices. Thank you to you all for sharing and your advice.
I notice you all have levels or ranks. I'm aiming for toadfish one day :icon_lolz: :crazy:

Return to “Yarra Valley and surrounds”