Yarra.

longbob

Yarra.

Post by longbob » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:27 pm

Went over the the Yarra at Jumping Creek reserve This morning. Second visit in 2 weeks. I was there at first light and fished thru until about 11. Result - zero, zilch, nuffing. I did not even loose abait in 4 hours fishing
Ok I'm new to this so most of you will look at these results and say 'newbie'. But I thunk I did everything right. Light line, running sinker rig, small hook, delicious worms all awriggle.
I fished around structures, beside structures and even inside structure [some was not even in the water] I prayed, cussed and did the Venezualen Fish dance, but all to no avail.
So, it being stated that there are about 237 species of fish in there, I would have to say either they were not biting, or I was busy drowning worms where the fish werent, or I am the worst fisherman since Jonah got aten by de whale :help:

Fish-Hunter

Re: Yarra.

Post by Fish-Hunter » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:32 pm

Thats why its called fishing & not catching , Better luck next time .

richo

Post by richo » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:59 pm

great call miker, better luck next longbob
nothing beats a day/night out fishing!

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:25 pm

looks like you have the right bait and stuff. But hey, if the fish is not around, what can we do? Maybe they are close to the city pitching their tents too for the Moomba. :-)
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

longbob

Post by longbob » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:44 pm

I'm not too fussed that I didn't catch anything as I will keep at them until I do. I'm a gold fossiker and patience is a necessity
My main concern was that I wasn't doing anything obviously wrong
Still a lot of water to cover, like miles of it at Warrandyte, Wonga Park, Lilydale etc so I will get one eventually :thumbsup:
A thought - is early morning not such a good time to fish?

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:48 pm

longbob wrote:.............A thought - is early morning not such a good time to fish?
Is a good time to fish! Don't worry about it. you will have some luck soon
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:57 pm

Early morning or the last hour in the evening are normally the best time to fish. Normally once the sun hits the water the fishing will slow down but along the yarra there is plenty of spots where you can fish in shade even in the middle of the day.

Cheers Steve
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

MrI-fish

Post by MrI-fish » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:02 pm

What are you targeting? I found when I started that I was a bit impatient and would pull my bait in to soon. I have also found the first half hour to an hour after dark is when the fishbite best. Lots of eels though when fishing with worms.

Sent from my XT925 using Tapatalk 2

hsv2ko

Post by hsv2ko » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:58 pm

To make you feel better when i started fishing which is not long ago at all 6 times i went and zilch which is how i came accross this site and read heaps of stuff on net to relise that i wasnt doing anything wrong. But then it all started happening slowly but my 2 mates that go with me haven't caught anything yet and they are hae been with me 10 times. Its at a point where i hve to set their rod up coz they thing and they are 100% sure they are doing something wrong which they are not. But the funny part is sunday we went to kerferd rd and my mate was busing to go toilet so he gave me his rod to look after so while holding mine his was under my foot he gets half way down pier and his rod goes off he was too far to call him back so i pulled out his fish and that was one of 2 fish any of us pulled out that day. Hope that makes u feel better lol

ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

Post by ChrisD » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:17 am

One thing I have found on the Yarra when soaking bait, give a spot 30 -40 mins and if no bites, pull up stumps move up or down river and give it another crack. It may take a few moves but you increase the odds of finding the fish. Sticking to one spot much longer than that often results in zero bites.

Return to “Yarra Valley and surrounds”