My first yellowbelly

smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

My first yellowbelly

Post by smokin_reels » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:53 am

After work yesterday headed down to the Yarra river to do some fishing.

Was a beautiful evening.
I had a few tentative bites from what seemed to be some juvenile macquarie perch .

Finally something more solid and low and behold ! My first yellow belly. The yarra really is a fish bowl.
Unknown.jpeg
Nice to be catching more of the countries Native fish species.
I have the to yet get the Estuary perch, Australian Bass and Trout Cod.
My journey continues!

Also my friends were kind enough to give me a couple of eels they caught. Shall try my best to catch a gummy this weekend. They are alive and gurgling away in a bucket .

Really Lucky to have a great boss who actively encourages me to get out and fish after work.
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Re: My first yellowbelly

Post by skronkman » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:12 am

Nice one SR. I'm yet to catch a yella too, not that I've spent much time targeting them. Were you around the warrandyte area? I've heard of that being a good local spot for them? I've spent plenty of time in the upper reaches of the Yarra chasing trout, it's an understated fishery in my opinion, everything from trout and reddies in upper section and cod and Yella in the middle to the elusive Yarramundi down in the lower reaches. All accessible within an hour or so from the cbd.

Nightwish

Post by Nightwish » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:10 am

Well done mate,it is always good to catch your first of a species.
:cheers:

smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Post by smokin_reels » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:45 am

skronkman wrote:Nice one SR. I'm yet to catch a yella too, not that I've spent much time targeting them. Were you around the warrandyte area? I've heard of that being a good local spot for them? I've spent plenty of time in the upper reaches of the Yarra chasing trout, it's an understated fishery in my opinion, everything from trout and reddies in upper section and cod and Yella in the middle to the elusive Yarramundi down in the lower reaches. All accessible within an hour or so from the cbd.

Thanks Mate! Yes the Yarra is awesome. Anywhere between Warrandyte and Eltham is pretty good. I did however get lucky with this little guy, chunky little stocked fish , must have escaped from a dam in the recent rains.
I think your better of driving a bit and fishing the goulburn(?) or Eildon for yellow belly.

Do you want to know another super underrated fishery? Albert Park Lake, thats got some awesome yellow belly in it , worth a crack especially when travelling can be an issue.
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:24 am

Well done on catching your first Yellowbelly, nice to have a boss who encourages you to go fishing.. should be more like him around.. :thumbsup:

Good luck on catching a Gummy as well.. :water:

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:25 am

Nice report mate and congrats on your first yellowbelly! :thumbsup:

johnat24

Post by johnat24 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:21 pm

Nice one Skronkman... I've not caught a yellow belly either yet... in fact I haven't caught any natives whatsoever... there's obviously hope for me yet!

Return to “Yarra Valley and surrounds”