Monsters along the Yarra banks

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Monsters along the Yarra banks

Post by Lightningx » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:35 pm

BIG GAV wrote:It took a few bites to nab this guy but in the end I set the hook on a 1/0 circle and got him
So you were actually holding he rod when you got the hook up mate?

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:29 pm

Lightningx wrote:
BIG GAV wrote:It took a few bites to nab this guy but in the end I set the hook on a 1/0 circle and got him
Yes mate got a bite but they can often drop it once they feel the weight of the sinker so I picked up the rod and waited for the next bite struck and was on, no doubt the circle played it's part nicely

The river is quite low at the moment
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:07 am

Good to see him out of the water
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

Mike_M

Post by Mike_M » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:39 am

BIG GAV wrote:
Lightningx wrote:
Yes mate got a bite but they can often drop it once they feel the weight of the sinker so I picked up the rod and waited for the next bite struck and was on, no doubt the circle played it's part nicely

The river is quite low at the moment
You're not wrong about it being low at the moment. I went for a paddle yesterday morning from Fannings Bend to the Plenty River and there are quite a few stretches where I had to pole along as the paddle couldn't go in deep enough to take a stroke. I had to get out twice to pull over rocks or sandbanks and my canoe draws less than 10cm! It's dropped about 30-40cm since Good Friday.

I also hooked up a carp on corn on a circle hook - only difference being that my crappy attempt at a leader-mainline knot busted off when I tightened the reel's drag too much :down:

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:41 am

Did it feel like it was a big one mate?

Mike_M

Post by Mike_M » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:46 am

It felt decent, but not huge. I sight-casted to where it was feeding and wouldn't have thought it was much above 45-50cm. I had thought the knot was a bit dodgy when I had tied it the night before, but I was tired and couldn't be stuffed having another go. So I wasn't too surprised when it came back parted at the knot. It was my own stupid fault for tightening up the drag - it just kept pulling line and I wasn't thinking straight when I cranked it on.

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:41 am

Always double check your knots! It should start rising again soon luckily enough carp fishing is year round it just gets a little slower in winter.
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:05 pm

Mike_M wrote:It felt decent, but not huge. I sight-casted to where it was feeding and wouldn't have thought it was much above 45-50cm. I had thought the knot was a bit dodgy when I had tied it the night before, but I was tired and couldn't be stuffed having another go. So I wasn't too surprised when it came back parted at the knot. It was my own stupid fault for tightening up the drag - it just kept pulling line and I wasn't thinking straight when I cranked it on.
It often happens like that lol kind of reminds me of the time I tied a dodgy knot. After tying it I didn't feel good about it but couldn't be stuffed doing it again so just cast it out. Of course it gets a hook up and no ordinary hook up either. The reel screams and I tighten the drag a bit after awhile and pop fish gone lol

Return to “Yarra Valley and surrounds”