Yarra river report!

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Yarra river report!

Post by BIG GAV » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:40 pm

Today was far too good to pass up so I got a mate keen to pick me up cause my ute shît itself yesterday (starter motor) I was thinking he'd sleep in but to my surprise he was very keen!

I really wanted to get him onto a fish as he has a new rod (wildbait 1-4kg from Jason.tanti's website) so I went to my favourite spot along the Yarra it's quite a trek in but the fishing is generally great!! Lines were down at 6:30 we got enquiries straight away but took a while too hook up. I was first on the board with a macca at 30cm (christened my new veritas combo) I was stoked I blooded the new rod on a native! Few bites later my mate hooked up! Had to be a carp it ran like hell! But sadly he dropped it it went quiet after this n we decided to drive downstream n suss a new spot. We packed everything and veritas bobs again I left with a smaller perch on the board (25cm approx didn't measure)

We arrived at spot 2 just on 12:30 it was muddy and we couldn't sit anywhere but we persisted. I hooked up on a scrubby and I gave the rod to my mate he hauled in a nice sized eel! Shortly after as I was beginning to think the spot was no good he was on and blooded his new gear on a 52cm carp! He was stoked and I was stoked he got onto a fish!! Then right at our feet a carp was eating corn kernels perfect opportunity for a sight cast I reeled in the veritas n threw the worm near his face n watched the magic happen! My mate was shocked never even knew about sight casting. This carp was solid pregnant and from memory 62cm great stuff.

Then my mates rod is getting bites and we both watch with anticipation to hear my reel scream I look and got to the veritas in the nick of time it was on!! 6lb line and 1-3 kg rod took me at least 15 minutes maybe more he just wouldn't run outta steam!! He rises and we were shocked he was huge! Got him to the bank high 5's were in order along with guesstimations to weight and length I said 70 n 9lb but I'll gladly take 71cm and 11.5lb!!

For the day we got 2 perch 2 eels and 3 carp bait was scrubbies and corn!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Re: Yarra river report!

Post by Basti » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:11 pm

quality work man

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:22 pm

Nice! In regards to the macca...I am macca illiterate so I have to ask, is 30 cm's a gigantic fish for the area or is it the norm?
cheers
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:26 pm

Nice fishing Gav :thumbsup:
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

BIG GAV

Post by BIG GAV » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:29 pm

Rod Bender wrote:Nice! In regards to the macca...I am macca illiterate so I have to ask, is 30 cm's a gigantic fish for the area or is it the norm?
cheers
Jim
My mrs first ever fish was a 35cm macca and that story has raised a lot of eyebrows! 35 is a horse even 30 is pretty big before 30cm my biggest was 20.. For little fish they have big tails n buckle a light rod but they wear out pretty quickly. I don't know how big they get but I've never seen any over the 35 my mrs got

Russ

Post by Russ » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:35 pm

Sounds like a fun day. Just out of interest ........ what'd you do with the eel? They make great eating.

BIG GAV

Post by BIG GAV » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:41 pm

Gummy bait mate.. Chasing gummies Wednesday (bosses orders)

seephil
Has liked: 37 times

Post by seephil » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:49 pm

Awesome fishing Gav, and well done to your mate. What a way to christen your rod too.

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:50 pm

BIG GAV wrote:Gummy bait mate.. Chasing gummies Wednesday (bosses orders)
I'd say that's a good swap an eel for a Gummy ;-)
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

BIG GAV

Post by BIG GAV » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:53 pm

I'd say it's a good conversion. And I'll happily take a weekday off to go fishing if the boss suggests it haha.

Thanks Phil yeah he was grinning all day after that! Them wildbait rods are awesome fun with a carp on the end of it

Return to “Yarra Valley and surrounds”