Feeding the fish last night on the Yarra

ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

Feeding the fish last night on the Yarra

Post by ChrisD » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:26 am

Headed out last night to try a new section on the Yarra...well new for me.
After a little bush bashing I found a reasonable spot about a 1km upstream from Westerfold's Park, although the 4 ft drop off from the bank to the water was a little concerning.
Within 10 mins of lines in the water, using worms, I was getting hit...tap, tap, tap....and worms gone. So I persisted, each time within minutes of line in the water....tap, tap, tap and bait gone. :angryfire:
Ok these buggers were not going to beat me - over the course of the next couple of hours I downsized the hook, removed the sink, put sinkers back on, put on floats, cast into different areas of the river......each time lots of little bites and no hook ups. Even resorts to an unweighted fly hood with a single worm and still couldn't get a hook up.
Seen this before on the Yarra - normally little schools of redfin, too small or too cunning to get hooked.
I should have given up and looked for a new spot but just had to catch one of the buggers.
In the end night fell and I was still fishless - beat and broken I headed home :cry:
Think next trip I will look for somewhere else and try get away from just feeding the fish .......

Larksy88

Re: Feeding the fish last night on the Yarra

Post by Larksy88 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:33 am

Sounds like a very frustrating afternoon! atleast the weather was on your side :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

Post by ChrisD » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:46 am

Yes have to say it was nice sitting in the shade watching the wildlife go by.......and quietly fuming about missing bite after bite :)

kaotay

Post by kaotay » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:19 pm

I feel your pain... I'd try downsizing the bait to increase the chance of them being eaten whole instead of being picked on.
Works for early season snapper anyway.

widgeon58

Post by widgeon58 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:37 pm

Hi Chris D
Lived not for from where you where fishing (within 5kms) for 20 years my bet is they where Macca's or silver perch as some of the local's call them. given the size of the mouth on red-fin/ English perch and you have reduced the hook size as you said I think if it was a redfin you would have caught one. From a first hand experience was fishing at Cemetrey Bend on the Goulburn and was constantly losing bait to picker's as i thought and went to a size 10 circle hook ex USA and then baited it with a worm and landed after awhile ( lost a few more baits) a 18 cm Macca duly released alive.

Macca's are in the Yarra where you are fishing and are caught in the Plenty and Diamond Creek up stream from where they junction the Yarra how far up I ' don't know, but reading here on this forum and some others it appear that they do exist in some of the tributaries of the Yarra above Templestowe.

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:02 pm

I hit the yarra tonight with some worms I had left from Saturday, I got busted off twice once was my own fault not cutting the frayed line from my running sinker but I got two decent carp and an eel one carp 60 cm and the other 61 the 60 was also 6lb!! The other 5lb
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

muzza43
Has liked: 104 times

Post by muzza43 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:37 pm

Well done Gav, and you did not have to go for a dip either. Cheers muzza43.

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:50 pm

muzza43 wrote:Well done Gav, and you did not have to go for a dip either. Cheers muzza43.

Haha yeah muzza your right! Seems since the carp cull they are all I can catch I hit the yarra in hopes of a cod or maccas! Carp fight well so I'm not complaining and since this spot is probably the closest spot on the yarra to my house I will be trying it out a little more
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

forbiddencitycop

Post by forbiddencitycop » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:46 pm

ChrisD wrote:Headed out last night to try a new section on the Yarra...well new for me.
After a little bush bashing I found a reasonable spot about a 1km upstream from Westerfold's Park, although the 4 ft drop off from the bank to the water was a little concerning.
Within 10 mins of lines in the water, using worms, I was getting hit...tap, tap, tap....and worms gone. So I persisted, each time within minutes of line in the water....tap, tap, tap and bait gone. :angryfire:
Ok these buggers were not going to beat me - over the course of the next couple of hours I downsized the hook, removed the sink, put sinkers back on, put on floats, cast into different areas of the river......each time lots of little bites and no hook ups. Even resorts to an unweighted fly hood with a single worm and still couldn't get a hook up.
Seen this before on the Yarra - normally little schools of redfin, too small or too cunning to get hooked.
I should have given up and looked for a new spot but just had to catch one of the buggers.
In the end night fell and I was still fishless - beat and broken I headed home :cry:
Think next trip I will look for somewhere else and try get away from just feeding the fish .......
:lol: Mate, I am pretty sure it's not fish. I hav had exactly the same experience before off Porter St., but I hooked up 2 of this in a row.
Attachments
DSC_3820.jpg
DSC_3820.jpg (101.33 KiB) Viewed 1091 times

adamk

Post by adamk » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:04 am

Float o_0 I was thinking the same as forbidencitycop as k road werribee has similar prob but with crabs last I heard

Return to “Yarra Valley and surrounds”