Yarrambat Lake sunday14/09

widgeon58

Yarrambat Lake sunday14/09

Post by widgeon58 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:41 pm

Fished here yesterday with my 11 year old son from 1 to 4 in the afternoon, based on past history DPI have a tendency to stock it with trout just before the September school holidays. We fished down near the main road end, with others fishing up to the wall end one or two fishers actually fishing on the wall: most people were above us fishing close to the small hill near the wall. (if you know the lake then you can work out where we were fishing if not once you get there you can work it) . Apart from one solid bite we didn't get a touch, the bite we did get was on the only rod that wasn't set up with circle hooks ( We usually use 8 or 10 circle hooks here as they seem to work the best here)- this rod had a size 8 bait holder hook baited with 2 worms ), Bait was a mixture of worms, corn and power-bait the last 2 normally being the best to use after a DPI, put and catch release.

Up near the hill seemed to be the best place for the day, as we saw about half a dozen trout caught there all rainbows, but what surprised me was that they were all 25 to 30cm fish and had fell to worms on a running sinker rig.

Were they fish from an earlier release don't know or has the DPI released some bigger fish a little bit earlier than normal, with a put and catch release of smaller fish scheduled for this week who are more use to a pellet type feed?

Haven't checked the release figures from DPI for their Family Lakes as I type this, but thought I'd post first and no fish aside it was a lovely afternoon just to spend some time with my son and to relax

Woollies

Re: Yarrambat Lake sunday14/09

Post by Woollies » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:20 pm

There are only Rainbow trout no brown trout in there and most of the trout are around 25cm-30cm when they get stocked, so I'd say the ones you saw were from the most recent stocking.

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:10 pm

You may not have had a flash day with the fishing widgeon, but you did have a few hours of quality time with your son which is great.
A fish or two would have been a bonus.
cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

nickfish

Post by nickfish » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:06 pm

have they already stocked yarrambat?

BrynnF

Post by BrynnF » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:03 pm

They stocked it on the 10th of September.

Moffo

Post by Moffo » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:05 pm

Fish the area on the left of the fly pool when you come from the car park, just on the corner. Float some maggots down about 4 feet. Around midday seems to work best. Hope it helps!

widgeon58

Post by widgeon58 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:36 am

Thanks Moffo

Will try that, normally we fish the "pony club: side of the lake of the lake as you can drive down to the water's edge, I believe the area that you are talking about is on the golf /archery club side of the lake am I correct- have never fished that side before?

nickfish

Post by nickfish » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:57 pm

is there another lake a bit further down. from this one

Return to “Yarra Valley and surrounds”