help/spots

nickfish

help/spots

Post by nickfish » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:49 am

Hey all i have taken a break from fishing in winter and now that it is starting to get a little warmer i am getting back into it. ive never been good at freshwater fishing because i cant seem to find holes and where to cast. i was wondering if anyone has any tips on finding holes or even some spots to give a go. I am looking to go for redfin but i will settle for something else. i have a few spots for carp and eels thats about it. i went to warrandyte and could not find any fish or even decent place to throw a line. Thanks for reading and hopefully a response.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Re: help/spots

Post by DougieK » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:57 am

Sugarloaf for Reddies / Yellas mate. Get a 1/4 ounce spinnerbait, or 1/2 ounce if you're keen. I like purple or pink, cast it as close to the trees as you can, let it sink to the bottom and slow retrieve it out.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

nickfish

Post by nickfish » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:03 am

DougieK wrote:Sugarloaf for Reddies / Yellas mate. Get a 1/4 ounce spinnerbait, or 1/2 ounce if you're keen. I like purple or pink, cast it as close to the trees as you can, let it sink to the bottom and slow retrieve it out.
Thanks for the reply mate.
What are good times for going there because every time i have gone besides once we've caught nothing. the only time i caught was when there was probably only about 30 minutes of day light left and fish where everywhere they were jumping and taking the lure every cast i ended up getting about 12 in ten minutes. but every over time nothing.

nickfish

Post by nickfish » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:29 pm

any other tips?

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:03 pm

I am not familiar with your area but I would suggest you have a look on Google maps/satellite which you likely have already done. In regards to rivers, you will find the deeper holes on the outside of bends. On the inside it will be shallower. Check out the bends on maps then see if there is any access there. Read this thread also, especially the post from Drew!
viewtopic.php?f=105&t=4179" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cheers
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

nickfish

Post by nickfish » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:37 pm

Rod Bender wrote:I am not familiar with your area but I would suggest you have a look on Google maps/satellite which you likely have already done. In regards to rivers, you will find the deeper holes on the outside of bends. On the inside it will be shallower. Check out the bends on maps then see if there is any access there. Read this thread also, especially the post from Drew!
viewtopic.php?f=105&t=4179" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cheers
Jim
thanks that helped me a lot. if i'm not getting any bites do i move spots or stay in the same place?

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:18 pm

Move eventually but be patient. Don't move after 5 minutes!
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

Tyler

Post by Tyler » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:46 pm

Sugarloaf goes well early morning or just before dark, best is just after a bit of rain, the fish come looking for food that's washed down

ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

Post by ChrisD » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:28 pm

When it comes to the Yarra you have to put in the miles. Get away from the easy to reach areas, everyone fishes those and there isn't much to be had. Go to the parks in templestowe and warrendyte and walk along the tracks that follow the river. Further you get away from the car park the better. Trail and error and you will eventually find the spots.

Return to “Yarra Valley and surrounds”