Has liked: 215 times

Re: Stalking and spinning

Post by rb85 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:53 am

skronkman wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:54 am
rb85 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:01 pm
That’s just strange what did he yell.
“Oi! This is private property and you’re trespassing.” Something along those lines and then a brief description of his legal ownership of the river between 2 fence lines.
Seems like a hangover of aristocratic land rights. Unfortunately the law is probably on his side. As long as no rubbish is left behind or livestock hassled I cannot see the issue.
Team born2fish no1 fan

Remove these ads.

meppstas
Has liked: 366 times

Post by meppstas » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:16 am

rb85 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:53 am
skronkman wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:54 am
rb85 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:01 pm
That’s just strange what did he yell.
“Oi! This is private property and you’re trespassing.” Something along those lines and then a brief description of his legal ownership of the river between 2 fence lines.
Seems like a hangover of aristocratic land rights. Unfortunately the law is probably on his side. As long as no rubbish is left behind or livestock hassled I cannot see the issue.
Thing is Seb, he may have had problems with others at one stage and has had enough of it.. it happens down here quite a lot where the odd fisho doesn't care, they think a trout license gives them the right to walk/enter any property that has a river/stream running through it, a fishing license doesn't give anyone the right to do so... That's why I always approach the landowner to gain permission to fish a water that runs trough property, even when it has the trespasses prosecuted on it, I also give them a card with my photo, name & contact number on it once I've gained their permission. I've only been knocked back once by a land owner many years ago & it was because one person he allowed to enter his property tried to sue him after he tripped over a loose fence wire that had been knocked down by cattle.. So I can see why they get a little irate when someone walks through their property. It took me 2-1/2 years to gain permission from a farmer to enter his property due to several other factors (fences down, gates left open etc) done by other fisho's, thankfully in the end I was given the okay to fish the stream that runs trough 3-1/2kms of the property on the proviso I do not take anyone with me.. I was quite happy to agree to that, nothing better than having a trout stream to myself.. :sr: There's a lot of idiots out there that ruin it for others and it's something that will probably never change which is a shame.. I still feel if skonkman approaches the land owner he has nothing to lose, he may even get the nod to go fishing there..

cheers
Adrian
'' Mepps Spinfishing Guru Tasmania '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

skronkman
Has liked: 2 times

Post by skronkman » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:26 pm

To my knowledge he was correct. He owned land on both sides of the river and his title gave him riparian ownership. I didn’t know where I was, I entered the river on public land and waded down for a kilometre or so. When I came up onto the bank and started heading back to my car (as it’s easier than wading up stream) I was on the bank of the river in a paddock. I discussed it with some locals afterwards and apparently it’s a thing in some places but not others and all has to do with zoning and historical ownerships and permissions. One landowner might have rights to the river and the next one might not.

meppstas
Has liked: 366 times

Post by meppstas » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:56 pm

skronkman wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:26 pm
To my knowledge he was correct. He owned land on both sides of the river and his title gave him riparian ownership. I didn’t know where I was, I entered the river on public land and waded down for a kilometre or so. When I came up onto the bank and started heading back to my car (as it’s easier than wading up stream) I was on the bank of the river in a paddock. I discussed it with some locals afterwards and apparently it’s a thing in some places but not others and all has to do with zoning and historical ownerships and permissions. One landowner might have rights to the river and the next one might not.
That's spot on and that's how it is down here as well.. I've done the same thing, get in a river and fish my way upstream for a kilomtre & more only to find I'm on private land when I hopped out the river to walk back to the car.. :oo: :oo:

cheers
Adrian
'' Mepps Spinfishing Guru Tasmania '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

rb85
Has liked: 215 times

Post by rb85 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:48 pm

meppstas wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:56 pm
skronkman wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:26 pm
That's spot on and that's how it is down here as well.. I've done the same thing, get in a river and fish my way upstream for a kilomtre & more only to find I'm on private land when I hopped out the river to walk back to the car.. :oo: :oo:

cheers
Adrian
It's ridiculous these ancient aristocratic ownership of streams should be stopped in today's day and age. Should be remade to crown land.
Team born2fish no1 fan

Return to “Yarra Valley and surrounds”