getting back into it

The Fishing Victoria Forum is Australia's leading online fishing forum with comprehensive resources for Victorian fishermen, anglers and fishos. Check out the latest fishing & tackle news, tips, fishing reports and detailed fish information.
SparkyUK

Re: getting back into it

Post by SparkyUK » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:22 am

Get the landbased guide to westernport, its a goldmine of information, and its cheap

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:27 am

As someone new to fishing it was the best $10 I've spent on fishing related stuff so far. Get the PPB one too.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

FishnMiss
Has liked: 10 times

Post by FishnMiss » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:40 am

Hi Abbey
Check what fish are most active this time of year and try and target them. If you don't want or have loads of money to buy stuff you can get some good books and even current magazines at most local public libraries.
Try get the freshest bait you can (not that one always knows, but you can ask). I try going to regular spots that have a higher turn over.
Some of the fishing shops have good bait & good advice. My experiences with more commercial places like BCF & Rays outdoors are not good with advice. Some BCF's have good bait, Rays outdoors I've neve seen good bait, but maybe on the West side it's a different story.
Check your wind, weather and tides, sun up/sundown for best fishing LB.

Doreen's a fair hike- nice country there. Do you own horses :-D ?
" For Evil to triumph, all that Good people have to do is - Nothing "

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:51 am

On the topic of bait, just grab some banana prawns from coles or woolies. I peel mine, chuck the heads and shells in the blender and add them to my burley (chook pellets and fish oil). I can usually grab a squid for a couple of bucks at the local fishmonger. That combination will catch most things in the bay, and its food grade so likely to be fresher than most baits from a fishing shop.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Return to “Welcome to Fishing Victoria”