Gday

The Fishing Victoria Forum is Australia's leading online fishing forum with comprehensive resources for Victorian fishermen, anglers and fishos. Check out the latest fishing & tackle news, tips, fishing reports and detailed fish information.
Lecterfan

Gday

Post by Lecterfan » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:31 pm

Hi everyone,

I've been out of fishing for a few years. I got into all-grain brewing and growing my own hops instead. I was mad keen on Vic surf fishing 10 years ago, then went to WA and SA for a while and upon my return I became disparaged at the amount of time and patience it took to catch a good land based fish in Vic (by comparison). Found that a 6 hour brew day giving me two slabs of craft beer at the end of it was more rewarding haha.

But, I'm back.

Been out only once, but of course I already have the next 3 trips planned and I nervously check the weather forecast each day. Felt great to don the waders and enjoy the thing of beauty that is casting a surf bait with my alvey and 13'6" rod…20lb braid off the beach is just a fantastic feeling haha. Still a hint of disparagement as I returned home empty handed (compared to my experiences interstate) but I am older and wiser now - I take a Zen approach and just enjoy the moment for what it is.

I rarely join internet forums, but on a quick skim through a few topics I'm impressed with the polite atmosphere and the level of support and encouragement for ethical and sustainable behaviours.

I doubt I'll post much, but I do know how to use a search function so I'm sure there is plenty of pre-existing wisdom to be mined on this site.

Cheers. :cheers:

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Re: Gday

Post by bowl » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:38 pm

:funky: :funky: :funky: :welcome2:
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Joker91
Has liked: 111 times

Post by Joker91 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:43 pm

Hopefully your fishing in Vic pics up. How was the fishing in wa and sa?

Lecterfan

Post by Lecterfan » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:08 pm

Thanks for the welcome and well-wishes.
Joker91 wrote: How was the fishing in wa and sa?

Magnificent. SA from around Robe onwards (North/NW) was brilliant. Surf fishos have to get into the beaches from Kingston up to the Coorong.

WA was different again - lots of new species, and once around the corner of Cape Naturaliste there is an interesting blend of the cold waters from the Southern Ocean mixing with the Indian Ocean. For the jetty fishos, Busselton has to be seen to be believed…although avoid public holidays and school holidays where possible. From Geraldton North (didn't fish in Mandurah/Freo/Perth at all) the beaches and rocks all produce a nice mix of fish. Carnarvon Jetty was also simply amazing.

For the dedicated Vic shark fishos (which I once was), WA is great fun - and for those who enjoy sport, the lighter the tackle could get and the more the art/craft of rod manoeuvring really came to the fore. For idiots (like me) who are suckers for punishment on the long rods, Carnarvon jetty would turn up 6-10ft tiger sharks pretty regularly…just drop a flesh bait straight down next to a pylon, hook a big trevally, throw half of it back out and then hold on. I had a 10ft custom rod with a metal-backed alvey 651c5 with 80lb braid and black magic gimble - insane fun haha.

Still, there is a charm and mystique to the dedication, patience and skill working the central Vic coast that I really enjoy. It is also great to be able to fish mid week within 90 mins of home. I am in awe of some of the profile pics here of guys fishing some pretty familiar beaches…hopefully Autumn and early winter will be kind to us all.

Thanks guys.

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:12 pm

Welcome to the site! :waving:
cheers
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Raulfc7 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:16 pm

Welcome to the site Lecterfan :welcome:
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:42 pm

after reading yr first few posts I reacken u will chip in abit

bm
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

mheloy

Post by mheloy » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:21 am

:welcome2:

Looking forward for some great pics
Species Caught : 0

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:52 pm

Welcome mate,

Quite a few of us have a lot of success spinning surf beaches at Gunnamatta and Portsea, but if you're in ballarat then there are great options past Geelong as well.

Hope you get onto a few, no better feeling than being alone on a deserted beach at dawn.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Return to “Welcome to Fishing Victoria”