East Coast Fishing Trip

The Fishing Victoria Forum is Australia's leading online fishing forum with comprehensive resources for Victorian fishermen, anglers and fishos. Check out the latest fishing & tackle news, tips, fishing reports and detailed fish information.
Mick D

East Coast Fishing Trip

Post by Mick D » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:48 pm

G'day everyone, brand new to the forum. Looks awesome.

I am planning the fishing trip of a lifetime with my Dad in early January. We start in his home town of Hobart, up the east coast of Tassie, across the ferry to Melbourne then all the way up the east cost to My home in Brisbane 2-3 weeks later.

Given I have never been to Melbourne before and I have KG whiting, gummy shark, Aust Salmon and snapper on the wish list I was hoping you could give me some tips as to "must visit" places along the way.

Any hints as to good caravan parks etc would also be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Mick D

Tomcat1

Re: East Coast Fishing Trip

Post by Tomcat1 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:51 pm

you guys taking a boat along or going to be hitting charters or land based?

Mick D

Post by Mick D » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:32 am

We'll be towing my 4.2m tinnie

Tonyzee

Post by Tonyzee » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:23 pm

Easy Lakes entrance area but not Lakes Entrance itself is a must go area.

Blue
Has liked: 35 times

Post by Blue » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:45 pm

G'day Mick D, with a 4.2 you've got a world of opportunity on your way to Brissie. From the Lakes Entrance on to Bemm River ( one of the best allround fisheries you will ever find) round to Pambula and Merimbula Lake on to Narooma and Batemans Bay and Wallaga, Port Macquarie and Yamba where the mighty Clarence River makes the Murray look like a creek.
I've fished 'em all mate and probly forgot a few, there is no better place to be than the east coast with a capable boat under you. No need to go outside, these estuaries have got the lot. Can't remember names of all the Parks but they are all first class and you won't have any probs seeking them out.
If you've got the time this could be the trip of a lifetime, I envy you
Blue
To find a fish
You do the miles.
Catch the fish
and earn the smiles.

Lord,allow me to catch a fish, so large that even I,when speaking of it afterwards.........May have no need to lie !!!

SFP Chick

Post by SFP Chick » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:19 pm

Blue wrote:G'day Mick D, with a 4.2 you've got a world of opportunity on your way to Brissie. From the Lakes Entrance on to Bemm River ( one of the best allround fisheries you will ever find) round to Pambula and Merimbula Lake on to Narooma and Batemans Bay and Wallaga, Port Macquarie and Yamba where the mighty Clarence River makes the Murray look like a creek.
I've fished 'em all mate and probly forgot a few, there is no better place to be than the east coast with a capable boat under you. No need to go outside, these estuaries have got the lot. Can't remember names of all the Parks but they are all first class and you won't have any probs seeking them out.
If you've got the time this could be the trip of a lifetime, I envy you
Blue
Yep, have to agree with Blue,

All the places he mentioned are awesome. Cam and I have both fished many of them. Not only are they beautiful locations, the fishing just gets better and better as you venture north.

One secret spot for you:

Just north of Narooma you will cross the Tuross River. Just on the north side of the bridge there is a road to the left. Sharp turn in beware. There is a boat ramp there. The fishing landbased there is great, but obviously you can get into the Tuross there too with your tinnie. Big arse flatties in there mate. Nice at dusk too, when the cows over the river are coming home for a milking :-D

If you end up going north of Brisbane you simply have to go to Hervey Bay (3.5 hours north). It's very laid back, has everything and the fishing is great (chockas full of retired Victorians). Everything from Mangrove Jack and Bream to Tuna, all inside Fraser Island, so all protected water.

Moreton Bay will serve you well too when in Brizzy, lots of great launching places over on the bay areas. The Brizzy river is ok, but the bay is better. If you do get just north of Brizzy to either Bribie Island (about 1 hour north) or up to the "Pumice Stone Passage" at Caloundra on the sunshine coast (about 2 hours north) there is protected fishing there too.

Back down south, Mallacoota Inlet can be nice. It's a way off the highway when you get really close to the NSW boarder, but its a very quiet town and the fishing in the Inlet is good. Plenty of flatties in the bottom "lake" and the narrows between the bottom and top lake is great for bream.

Hope this help mate. You just can't go wrong. The trip will knock your socks off.

A friend of mine did it only this year. I will get onto him about Van parks for you.

Cheers
Amanda

Mick D

Post by Mick D » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:02 am

Thanks so much guys, that's given me a great start, cheers Mick D

Return to “Welcome to Fishing Victoria”