Buying Squid for bait

The Fishing Victoria Forum is Australia's leading online fishing forum with comprehensive resources for Victorian fishermen, anglers and fishos. Check out the latest fishing & tackle news, tips, fishing reports and detailed fish information.
williwonder

Buying Squid for bait

Post by williwonder » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:48 am

Hi fellow fishermen/women. Looking forward to snapper season in PPB thinking where is a good location to buy squid for bait around my area (Glen Waverley) I would prefer to buy the squid ungutted. Would a market be the go or just go to the local fishmonger? or is the frozen stuff from anaconda just as good

Ps I am time poor and have no time to catch them at the moment. Cheers

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Re: Buying Squid for bait

Post by frozenpod » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:54 am

Any of the above will be fine, small squid is typically better just be aware that it will not compare for freshly caught squid.

Abuthen

Post by Abuthen » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:48 am

williwonder wrote:Hi fellow fishermen/women. Looking forward to snapper season in PPB thinking where is a good location to buy squid for bait around my area (Glen Waverley) I would prefer to buy the squid ungutted. Would a market be the go or just go to the local fishmonger? or is the frozen stuff from anaconda just as good

Hi, I live in GW too. I reckon if you can make it to anaconda, Springvale is a better bet, and probably cheaper too.
Abuthen

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:49 am

williwonder wrote:Hi fellow fishermen/women. Looking forward to snapper season in PPB thinking where is a good location to buy squid for bait around my area (Glen Waverley) I would prefer to buy the squid ungutted. Would a market be the go or just go to the local fishmonger? or is the frozen stuff from anaconda just as good

The frozen squid at Anaconda works. There is also frozen baby squid that works well on whiting.

berazafi

Post by berazafi » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:07 pm

You by bait at anaconda, roll eyes. If you must by bait why not use a small family owned tackle store that can also give local advice

williwonder

Post by williwonder » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:58 pm

I do go to 'hooked up" which is a simular distance at times (they sell the same bait Gotcha)

but sometimes difficult getting advice because most of my fishing is done out from Williamstown and they dont know the area. Cheers

Master-pro

Post by Master-pro » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:23 pm

berazafi wrote:You by bait at anaconda, roll eyes. If you must by bait why not use a small family owned tackle store that can also give local advice
Usually larger retailers are cheaper
PB- Snapper 55cm, Whiting 38cm, Flathead 55cm, Bream 38cm, Australian Salmon 55cm, Carp 80cm

SFP Chick

Post by SFP Chick » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:24 pm

Gotta add my bit,

I personally think you can't go past bait purchased from a seafood retailer of product for human consumption. I would recommend having a chat to your local seafood retailer (not supermarket) and ask them if they store their calamari gutted or not. My local one keeps his intact just incase they get someone wanting some fresh calamari for bait.

I agree with a lot of fishers, if you can catch it, it's the best option. But I also understand that's not always an option. That's why we buy ours from our local shop.

I was told by an industry associate that a lot of the frozen calamari sold as bait, is actually recycled product that was for human consumption but is "no longer fresh", "gone past it's use by date", "gone off". Since finding that out, I don't buy it anymore.

However in saying that, I will say that I would presume this does not apply to all brands of bait.

Hope this helps.

I can't wait for the warmer weather too and Snapper season. I am hoping for a PB this year :-D

Cheers
Amanda

nickb123

Post by nickb123 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:50 pm

Springvale markets nice and cheap and always fresh
Cheers Nick

Cuda
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Cuda » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:02 pm

I've never caught anything on servo squid.

Return to “Welcome to Fishing Victoria”