Gone Fishing for 5 times, Caught Nothing :(

The Fishing Victoria Forum is Australia's leading online fishing forum with comprehensive resources for Victorian fishermen, anglers and fishos. Check out the latest fishing & tackle news, tips, fishing reports and detailed fish information.
VooDoo
Has liked: 165 times

Re: Gone Fishing for 5 times, Caught Nothing :(

Post by VooDoo » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:27 am

re-tyred wrote:Last Week by Banjo Paterson

Always remember the great Banjo Paterson Poem when listening to tails of who caught what and where. :)

Oh, the new-chum went to the backblock run,
But he should have gone there last week.
He tramped ten miles with a loaded gun,
But of turkey of duck saw never a one,
For he should have been there last week,
They said,
There were flocks of 'em there last week.
He wended his way to a waterfall,
And he should have gone there last week.
He carried a camera, legs and all,
But the day was hot and the stream was small,
For he should have gone there last week,
They said,
They drowned a man there last week.

He went for a drive, and he made a start,
Which should have been made last week,
For the old horse died of a broken heart;
So he footed it home and he dragged the cart --
But the horse was all right last week,
They said,
He trotted a match last week.

So he asked all the bushies who came from afar
To visit the town last week
If the'd dine with him, and they said "Hurrah!"
But there wasn't a drop in the whisky jar --
You should have been here last week,
He said,
I drank it all up last week!

Andrew Barton Paterson
Very very true indeed!! :)

"VooDoo .... WhoDoo .... YouDoo .... VooDoo" The Bug (Bugatti) S.A. [2019]

St3vil

Post by St3vil » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:55 am

Welcome mate,

A couple of things that may help.....

Squid fishing is always a confidence booster. They are on pretty much year round but you will need to keep an eye out on where they are being caught through this forum and places like Peninsula Total Tackle news letter (Subscribe). Blairgowrie has some good squid, whiting and Gars. Gars are a great fish to catch. Buy a decent squid jig. Red jig, white jig and a dark jig (black works for me).

My next point is Burley, Burley, Burley...... Even beach fishing, buy a little burley pot and fill it with bread, chook pallets and a little tuna oil, drop it just in front of where you fish and the fish will follow the trail.

Good luck mate.....

Longshot

Post by Longshot » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:13 pm

Zig, It sounds like your going to the right sort of places, but have been unlucky. Happens to all of us.
Talk to your local tackle shop, the old style baitrunner reels you said you had are just about bulletproof, it just sounds like you need some new line on them as Fishing Line will perish over time.

Dont get talked into buying a super duper $100 dollar combo, you wont need it!
With Winter approaching the fishing slows down somewhat, but theres plenty of Fish still out there.
Salmon are the gun fish over the colder Months, and as the previous blokes said, Easy to get onto with some burley in the water.
Shoot me a PM if you like, I have a few spare Surf Rods, Would be nice to see one get used as opposed to sitting on the Shelf.

Ziggy

Post by Ziggy » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:11 pm

@Raul will do. i've been reading stuff in the internet but always end with a question, so what do i do first? yep, choosing a place and what to fish is what i need to think of first. :)

@Fish-Cador awesome stuff! thanks mate. now I know what to get! tell me if you have extra rods. i have an old tackle box given by my uncle with still a lot of sinkers, hooks and thingamjigas. So I think it's just the rod, reel and line is all i need to assemble now.

@miker thank you! i have the exact set-up for garfish right now. and my uncle prepared it because he loved fishing for garfish. we always carry this rod anywhere we go so definitely will practice with it all the time.

@Cam mornington could be the best spot for us. but we only know the mornington pier. we've fished there and the pier is still under construction. any other spots you want to suggest? since we've decided to fish often now (at least once a week) we'll focus on 1 spot. :) thanks for the tip!

@Plas-Flicker "it's called fishing-not catching" i like that! i will buy my own rod this week actually. i'll let you know about it. You and Fish-CAdor said the same thing so I'll go for it. I think it would feel much better using something you bought yourself. and i'll keep my garfish set-up too. :)

@re-tyred i actually go fishing with my wife because she's as hooked as I am. she's the one who tells me keep reading stuff about fishing (meaning do the hard work and just report to her hahaha). So when we go fishing it's always a fun time even if we don't catch anything. although she's been asking me to put bait on her hook almost everytime. awesome poem too!!!

@VoodooMagician thanks mate. i think i have my mind set because of all the comments here. we'll be choosing to frequent mornington not only because it's near but also i want to stick with one spot at the moment. what i've noticed when i go fishing is that other people love to talk about what happened today (or what didn't happen). and i always tell them i just started fishing so when i cast a silly cast, i have the right to hahaha!

Thanks for all the tips guys. The weather this saturday looks promising so for sure we will be out fishing! woohooo!!!

:r :water:

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:13 pm

ziggy, I only have 1 old JW 2pc light rod and an old silstar 1pc 7 foot rod (the unbreakable rod) to spare. May not be worth your time picking them up but I can give them to you for free. PM me if you are interested
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:17 pm

Fish-cador wrote:ziggy, I only have 1 old JW 2pc light rod and an old silstar 1pc 7 foot rod (the unbreakable rod) to spare. May not be worth your time picking them up but I can give them to you for free. PM me if you are interested
You are a nice kind bloke , what an offer .

Fish-cador

Post by Fish-cador » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:25 pm

MIKER wrote:
Fish-cador wrote:ziggy, I only have 1 old JW 2pc light rod and an old silstar 1pc 7 foot rod (the unbreakable rod) to spare. May not be worth your time picking them up but I can give them to you for free. PM me if you are interested
thanks Miker. I gave away over 20 rods last year to 3 lucky forum members. sadly I dont remember the 2 of them ever coming back to the forum again.
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

BenG

Post by BenG » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:43 pm

Ok Ziggy, i am living proof that this forum rocks and will get you that fish :)
Thanks to the help of the members and tips here i managed to get a great feed tonight, so i KNOW you are just casts away from hooking up.

Best of luck mate.

Ben

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:53 pm

Fish-cador wrote:
MIKER wrote:
thanks Miker. I gave away over 20 rods last year to 3 lucky forum members. sadly I dont remember the 2 of them ever coming back to the forum again.
I will only accept your free Daiwa Saltiga or Shimano Stella combo's ok .

FishnMiss

Post by FishnMiss » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:41 pm

Fish-cador wrote:
MIKER wrote:
So Cador let me see, you gave away to 3 blokes and 2 of them never came back. Umm yeah maybe you like scared them off :icon_lolz:
I'll make sure I don't get any from you just in case :crazy: :fish22: :bounce:
" For Evil to triumph, all that Good people have to do is - Nothing "

Return to “Welcome to Fishing Victoria”