Gone Fishing for 5 times, Caught Nothing :(

The Fishing Victoria Forum is Australia's leading online fishing forum with comprehensive resources for Victorian fishermen, anglers and fishos. Check out the latest fishing & tackle news, tips, fishing reports and detailed fish information.
Ziggy

Re: Gone Fishing for 5 times, Caught Nothing :(

Post by Ziggy » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:28 pm

Thanks for the tips Raul.

I think my question now is, where are the best fishing spots in the South East area of melbourne and what fish do you commonly get there? So I can adjust my gear for it. I hope i'm asking the right question :)

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Raulfc7 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:36 pm

Ziggy wrote:Thanks for the tips Raul.

I think my question now is, where are the best fishing spots in the South East area of melbourne and what fish do you commonly get there? So I can adjust my gear for it. I hope i'm asking the right question :)
Try and get your hands on Port Phillip Bay & Westernport land based guide fishing books. Great little books available from most tackle shops. They should give you an idea of where to fish and what fish you are likely to catch
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:38 pm

Ziggy, it is now autumn. It's too late for snapper. I suggest you practice on salmon. This bugger is a handful when you find the school. Mordialloc pier, frankston pier and even the city piers will soon become a salmon heaven. If you want to buy a rod, get an all rounder pier rod. This is on the 8ft range 3-5kg and a 4000 size reel. Being a newbie, you done want to go too heavy or too light on your fishing line. Use 20lbs mono for now. Let me check the garage if I still have some el-cheapos I can toss.

PS - will check tomorrow :-)
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:08 pm

Welcome to the site , may i suggest to start with bread & butter fish eg Mullet & Garfish . Get your self a light 3kg class out fit , some size 10 long shank hooks , some split shot sinkers , pencil & bobby floats . Use peeled prawn pieces the size of a pea & stale bread mixed with tuna oil for berley .
Fish off most piers , when the float goes under raise your rod & hopefuly your on .
Dont trouble yourself with more complex fishing , concentrate on this . You will surprised what can be learned by catching these fish , enjoy & goodluck ;)

SFP Guy.

Post by SFP Guy. » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:11 pm

Welcome Ziggy.

Keep on trying mate. Best advice I can give is pick one particular spot, and keep trying it, they different baits, different weather conditions, rigs etc.

There's no experts on this site mate, we we're all in the same boat as you at one point and no matter how much you think you know there's always more to learn about fishing.

Maybe you could tell us a particular spot you'd like to concentrate on and we could take it from there? Mornington might be a good place, although busy at times it produces various species almost all year round.

Cheers,

Cam.

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:37 am

g'day ziggy and welcome, listening to advice from FC, Miker, Cam and others here should make you a better fisherman in no time, just keep your head up and keep trying, cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

Plas-Flicker

Post by Plas-Flicker » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:12 am

Welcome ziggy, you just got to keep at it mate. Information is your friend so research as much as you can.
Buy yourself your own rod and reel, fresh line and some basic tackle - hooks in various sizes, 1, 1/0 & 2/0, around a 7/8 foot rod with a 2500 or 4000 size reel. Get a 3 to 5 kg rated rod, 15 to 20 lb mono line.
Remember, its called fishing, not catching so patience is key.
Good luck.
Tight lines = Good Times!

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Post by re-tyred » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:10 am

I have the attitude i don't go fishing to catch fish. I go to have a day out on the water and see what I can learn about the area. Sometimes I come home with fish. I always come home having learnt a bit more. Fishing is about the challenge, and getting out and doing something rather that sitting at home.
Take the pressure off yourself and just go out and enjoy some outdoor time. One day you will catch a bunch of fish.
And yes listen to what everyone else does and develop your own methods and locations.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Post by re-tyred » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:03 am

Last Week by Banjo Paterson

Always remember the great Banjo Paterson Poem when listening to tails of who caught what and where. :)

Oh, the new-chum went to the backblock run,
But he should have gone there last week.
He tramped ten miles with a loaded gun,
But of turkey of duck saw never a one,
For he should have been there last week,
They said,
There were flocks of 'em there last week.
He wended his way to a waterfall,
And he should have gone there last week.
He carried a camera, legs and all,
But the day was hot and the stream was small,
For he should have gone there last week,
They said,
They drowned a man there last week.

He went for a drive, and he made a start,
Which should have been made last week,
For the old horse died of a broken heart;
So he footed it home and he dragged the cart --
But the horse was all right last week,
They said,
He trotted a match last week.

So he asked all the bushies who came from afar
To visit the town last week
If the'd dine with him, and they said "Hurrah!"
But there wasn't a drop in the whisky jar --
You should have been here last week,
He said,
I drank it all up last week!

Andrew Barton Paterson
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

VooDoo
Has liked: 165 times

Post by VooDoo » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:24 am

:welcome: Ziggy

We all started from somewhere .. I was lucky enough to tag along with an experienced fisho at the start but now confidence enough to go alone .. this doesn't meant I get a fish everytime I go as the last few session have atested to it.

Any pier from Port Melbourne to Mornington will be in close proximity to you. Now with the Peninsula Link opened, the Peninsula is within your casting distance as well.

The weather plays a massive part in your success. My last few session was in very unfavorable that I was fully aware of but was so itching to wet a line that I have to get out there. Should try to enjoy fishing first and foremost, the catch is a reward.

More importantly, get familiar with the pier you're fishing on. Talk to the oldies on your first few times there. They will be more than rap to have a chat to you. These are the ones that knows he local conditions best. If uou still want more info .. ask all fellow members on this forum. As you can see, they are a very helpful and fun bunch of people

Good luck on the next session. Hope you'll bring jome some keepers.

Cheers :)

"VooDoo .... WhoDoo .... YouDoo .... VooDoo" The Bug (Bugatti) S.A. [2019]

Return to “Welcome to Fishing Victoria”