Gone Fishing for 5 times, Caught Nothing :(

The Fishing Victoria Forum is Australia's leading online fishing forum with comprehensive resources for Victorian fishermen, anglers and fishos. Check out the latest fishing & tackle news, tips, fishing reports and detailed fish information.
Ziggy

Gone Fishing for 5 times, Caught Nothing :(

Post by Ziggy » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:16 pm

Hello everyone.

Yes I'm a beginner. that's why i've caught nothing and I decided it's time to really take this to next level. That's why I registered here. So yes, I am so glad that I am now a member here and ask you experts useful advice on fishing.

I live in South East Melbourne. I went to Mornington jetty once caught nothing, same thing happened in Frankston pier. I went to Kilcunda and fished just on the rocky beach and caught a rainbow fish but it was too small for the allowed size so i returned it. Same thing happened last weekend in Jethaven Jetty (?) in Phillip Island.

I have a borrowed rod but i don't know what it can catch because my line always snaps. I lost those "fake fish" hooks :( I used the size 4 hooks. I want to catch a decent fish but i don't know where to start.

So I have a few questions.

1. What rod and line combo should I get if I am aiming for a decent fish to catch this autumn.
2. I know South East is a good area to fish but where do I go or what area tips do I subscribe to to get fish? (That is such a newbie question)
3. I would prefer land based fishing really because i am a bit intimidated to start going on a boat trip.

Thank you in advance guys. This forum rocks!

CrazyChenski

Re: Gone Fishing for 5 times, Caught Nothing :(

Post by CrazyChenski » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:29 pm

Welcome Ziggy. We have all gone down the same path, so don't get disheatening.

Firstly, lets see what kind of equipment you're using and what kind of lines, and what kind of setup you have. Another thing is, are you fishing with bait, or Lure or Soft Plastic (lure and soft plastic is what you meant by fake fish btw) .....

If you can tell us abit more what you have now, we might be able to help you more.

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:49 pm

only 5 times, try a couple of fishless months and see how disheartening it is.

nhillboy

Post by nhillboy » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:58 pm

:welcome: to the site Ziggy. Follow the experts tips here and your chances of landing a fish will increase. Good luck mate... :cheers: :gone:

Fishsniper

Post by Fishsniper » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:29 pm

Welcome Ziggy

BenG

Post by BenG » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:36 pm

G'day Ziggy don't lose heart.
I know it's frustrating. I too have yet to land a keeper :(

But what i do know is that if you follow the experienced guys here, ask specific questions and participate in the group discussions.
Your chances will increase exponentially :-)

Best of luck.

Ben.

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:36 pm

Wolly Bugger wrote:only 5 times, try a couple of fishless months and see how disheartening it is.
Go on Phil, more encouragement like that and the bloke will never fish again...lol..
Don`t worry mate, the advice you get on here will sort out...first of all, whereabouts are you based..? Then see if any of the riff-raff on here will let you tag along on a pier/ beach bash one morning or evening..

Ziggy

Post by Ziggy » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:47 pm

CrazyChenski wrote:Welcome Ziggy. We have all gone down the same path, so don't get disheatening.

Firstly, lets see what kind of equipment you're using and what kind of lines, and what kind of setup you have. Another thing is, are you fishing with bait, or Lure or Soft Plastic (lure and soft plastic is what you meant by fake fish btw) .....

If you can tell us abit more what you have now, we might be able to help you more.
Hey CrazyChenski :) i really don't know what's the capability(?) of the rods we have. we have 3 borrowed by our uncle to us. so i have a Spin Ace 650, a Jack Yabby Wells rod for whiting, bream, mullet and trout (I assume this is a really old one) and the same Jack Yabby Wells rod but quite bigger than the other one. All 3 of them have Shimano Baitrunner Ball Bearing 1000, 1500 and 1500 (i don't know what i just typed).

We use different baits. We used pippies, little prawns, soft squidgee and hard plastic? It was when we used a hard plastic that our lines snapped.

Thanks heaps. I hope that explains it.

Ziggy

Post by Ziggy » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:52 pm

@wolly bugger wow.... man.... we are quite disheartened but still challenged now. but months? i hope that doesnt happen.

@nhillboy thanks for the welcome mate :)

@fishsnipper thanks for the welcome!

@Ben hopefully. i haven't taken home any fish. i wonder what's the feeling...

@CarlG I'm based in SouthEast originally from Langwarrin but moved closer to the city because of my job. We are willing to drive for an hour. the first advise that we followed was - fish only if hightide. so we watch out what time is the high tide and go to any southeast/port philip bay pier during the advised times.

I would settle for any easy fish to catch really hahaha

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Raulfc7 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:17 pm

:welcome: Ziggy hang in there bud you will catch something soon. First rule discount only fishing on high tide many of fish have been caught on low tide. You want to try and fish around change of tides sunset and sunrise but don't discount fishing in the middle of the day either. Look for winds and condition that favour your target of fish. Learn what baits they like to eat and remember fresh is best. When you fish have a plan to target one or two different fish. The more you go, the more you learn the greater the chance. Good luck :thumbsup:
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

Return to “Welcome to Fishing Victoria”