Williamstown landbased

The Fishing Victoria Forum is Australia's leading online fishing forum with comprehensive resources for Victorian fishermen, anglers and fishos. Check out the latest fishing & tackle news, tips, fishing reports and detailed fish information.
Matthew drako
Has liked: 28 times

Williamstown landbased

Post by Matthew drako » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:04 am

Hey guys, went off of the pier today in williamstown for a quick fish and managed large numbers of small pinkies and got bitten off on a whole squid interestingly enough... But was encountering a common problem, that when going for a larger cast even after winding up the slack line that it would just go slack again until i got the bait roughly 10 meters from where i was in which then it would remain tight. Anyone know a solution or why the it was happening. I know that on the boat, wind against tide can leave your lines constantly slack but wondering if it would affect the pier. I was using decent size sinkers on a paternoster rig.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: Williamstown landbased

Post by smile0784 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:53 am

Is current bring your sinker in before it gets to the bottom

Sebb
Has liked: 2999 times

Post by Sebb » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:23 am

Star sinker is better to hold in place, but chance of getting snagged is higher too.
Like smile0784 said, good chance the current drifts the sinker. Try to wait longer after cast before winding the slack.
If it doesn't work, try to detect bites by looking at the line. If the slack line gets straightened/tight in a 'tap' sorta way, it's a bite! And strike!

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:37 am

Had a similar problem Fishing a few places before. Sounds like a current issue to me as well.

j_pap

Post by j_pap » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:01 am

Lightningx wrote:Had a similar problem Fishing a few places before. Sounds like a current issue to me as well.
Could even be the small pinkies moving it?

Matthew drako
Has liked: 28 times

Post by Matthew drako » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:21 am

Thanks all for the replies, had never really had this problem before in a long time of fishing.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:32 am

j_pap wrote:
Lightningx wrote:Had a similar problem Fishing a few places before. Sounds like a current issue to me as well.
Could even be the small pinkies moving it?
Possible :)

Return to “Welcome to Fishing Victoria”