Cleeland bight

The Fishing Victoria Forum is Australia's leading online fishing forum with comprehensive resources for Victorian fishermen, anglers and fishos. Check out the latest fishing & tackle news, tips, fishing reports and detailed fish information.
ante552
Rank: Australian Salmon
Rank: Australian Salmon
Posts: 361
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:25 am

Cleeland bight

Postby ante552 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:21 pm

Hey guys,
Has anyone fished off cleeland bight in recent off the beach.

Was thinking to hit it up this sunday
And what fish would i expect

Ive read that whiting squid and reds can be caught but is that only from a yak??
Or aswell from land.

Cheers all



Remove these ads.

User avatar
Kimtown
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 1085
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:29 pm

Re: Cleeland bight

Postby Kimtown » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:15 pm

My cousin fished Cleeland (via boat) last weekend and caught some thumper squid. They are most certainly gettable by land though afaik. Fish near the Quarry.. it's a big sand dune about half way around the bight. Can't miss it.

Not sure about Whiting landbase. It's a fair cast to get to 3-4m depth with grass bottom, probably 150m+ from shore and I'm not sure how far you could wade out.... any closer in and your probably just gonna get junk like wrasse and bulk toadies pecking at your baits. Probably better off with some plastics around the shallows for sand and tiger flatties tbh

I'll be there Sunday afternoon with 2 mates in my boat trying for squid and Whiting. One of them is still a maybe, if he pulls out I can pull up to the shore and you can jump in for a few hours if your still around?

Redhunter
Rank: Snapper
Rank: Snapper
Posts: 995
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:19 am

Re: Cleeland bight

Postby Redhunter » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:31 pm

If LB, squid is your best bet. Too much weed in close to bother casting a bait. A silver whiting about a metre under a float is the way. You'll have a rising tide all arvo with a high about 5pm. The last cupla hrs leading up to high tide should work for ya!

DougieK
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 5106
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:19 pm
Location: Glen Waverley

Re: Cleeland bight

Postby DougieK » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:57 pm

If you can find a rising tide after dusk it's also full of whiting.
16/17 Comp total 64cm

"If nothing easy is worthwhile, then LBG with lures must be just about the most worthwhile thing on the planet" MTF 2014

ante552
Rank: Australian Salmon
Rank: Australian Salmon
Posts: 361
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:25 am

Re: Cleeland bight

Postby ante552 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:22 pm

Kimtown wrote:My cousin fished Cleeland (via boat) last weekend and caught some thumper squid. They are most certainly gettable by land though afaik. Fish near the Quarry.. it's a big sand dune about half way around the bight. Can't miss it.

Not sure about Whiting landbase. It's a fair cast to get to 3-4m depth with grass bottom, probably 150m+ from shore and I'm not sure how far you could wade out.... any closer in and your probably just gonna get junk like wrasse and bulk toadies pecking at your baits. Probably better off with some plastics around the shallows for sand and tiger flatties tbh

I'll be there Sunday afternoon with 2 mates in my boat trying for squid and Whiting. One of them is still a maybe, if he pulls out I can pull up to the shore and you can jump in for a few hours if your still around?

Awsome cheers for that,
I wont be alone taking a customer with me but give us a wave if you pass by.
Good luck sunday

ante552
Rank: Australian Salmon
Rank: Australian Salmon
Posts: 361
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:25 am

Re: Cleeland bight

Postby ante552 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:23 pm

Redhunter wrote:If LB, squid is your best bet. Too much weed in close to bother casting a bait. A silver whiting about a metre under a float is the way. You'll have a rising tide all arvo with a high about 5pm. The last cupla hrs leading up to high tide should work for ya!

Great cheers for that



Remove these ads.

ante552
Rank: Australian Salmon
Rank: Australian Salmon
Posts: 361
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:25 am

Re: Cleeland bight

Postby ante552 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:24 pm

DougieK wrote:If you can find a rising tide after dusk it's also full of whiting.

High tide is around 5pm
So should be helpfull.

If worse comes to worse ill might hit corinella.

Im just hopeless for spots around phillip island/ that way

DougieK
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 5106
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:19 pm
Location: Glen Waverley

Re: Cleeland bight

Postby DougieK » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:31 am

ante552 wrote:
DougieK wrote:If you can find a rising tide after dusk it's also full of whiting.

High tide is around 5pm
So should be helpfull.

If worse comes to worse ill might hit corinella.

Im just hopeless for spots around phillip island/ that way



Saturday is going to be really rough weather wise.
16/17 Comp total 64cm

"If nothing easy is worthwhile, then LBG with lures must be just about the most worthwhile thing on the planet" MTF 2014

User avatar
Kimtown
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 1085
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:29 pm

Re: Cleeland bight

Postby Kimtown » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:03 am

DougieK wrote:
ante552 wrote:
DougieK wrote:If you can find a rising tide after dusk it's also full of whiting.

High tide is around 5pm
So should be helpfull.

If worse comes to worse ill might hit corinella.

Im just hopeless for spots around phillip island/ that way



Saturday is going to be really rough weather wise.

I think hes fishing Sunday? Cleeland will be about the only somewhat fishable place on Saturday though with a strong westerly

DougieK
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 5106
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:19 pm
Location: Glen Waverley

Re: Cleeland bight

Postby DougieK » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:19 am

Kimtown wrote:
DougieK wrote:
ante552 wrote:
DougieK wrote:If you can find a rising tide after dusk it's also full of whiting.

High tide is around 5pm
So should be helpfull.

If worse comes to worse ill might hit corinella.

Im just hopeless for spots around phillip island/ that way



Saturday is going to be really rough weather wise.

I think hes fishing Sunday? Cleeland will be about the only somewhat fishable place on Saturday though with a strong westerly



Yeah. With a heap of rain the water often gets really dirty there. The evening high might be ok on Sunday.
16/17 Comp total 64cm

"If nothing easy is worthwhile, then LBG with lures must be just about the most worthwhile thing on the planet" MTF 2014



Remove these ads.


Return to “Welcome to Fishing Victoria”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests