Just a run of bad luck

The Fishing Victoria Forum is Australia's leading online fishing forum with comprehensive resources for Victorian fishermen, anglers and fishos. Check out the latest fishing & tackle news, tips, fishing reports and detailed fish information.
Paulanderson
Has liked: 51 times

Re: Just a run of bad luck

Post by Paulanderson » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:41 pm

Further to the good advice and comments by other members holding your rod up at about 45 degrees set your drag at one third of the braking strain of the main line (or leader if less than the main line). You will need a small set of scales to do this. Once you have set your drag have someone run off pulling at least 30 meters off line of the drag. This will tell you if your reel is working properly and also that your drag is set OK. If the main line breaks with the drag set at one third throw it away and start again! Best of luck next time.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:42 pm

ante552 wrote:
Lightningx wrote:Dam mate that’s is frustrating.
I wonder what it was... I know some good rock fishing places but there is a bit of a walk to get to these spots :)

Im not sure but atleast i can say maybe a kingie lol.

Its happened twice at portarlington
And last weekend at portland.

The sensation was great but there was no end result!

I dont mind the walk i just have back and rod reel bag.
And trolley if needed.

Plus the adventure makes it fun
Sent you a pm mate :)

ante552

Post by ante552 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:49 pm

KeenAds wrote:If your note sure where it broke check your line for any small nicks or abrasion that occure more often when land based fishing.

Also where on the pier did you fish? There is an artificial reef about 30 netres out directly in front of the old rock break wall that might of caused the break off.

First time i was at the old break wall bout 20mtrs from the bus stop.
This time i was at the new breakwall after the bend

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:40 pm

If you think it might be coming undone at the swivel then I reckon it could be your knot. I dont think a surgeons knot in braid will hold that well to a swivel. Braid is a bugger of a thing with knots and the only knot I tie in it now is an FG to the mono shock leader(then swivel, then mono trace). Braid also has pretty much zero abraision resistance so if it's come into contact with anything sharp in previous use then it may have weak spots. Also, check all the guides on your rod to make sure they are intact and smooth, a broken guide will destroy braid in no time, especially under load of a fish. Also, if your running a sinker on the braid above the swivel then check to see if it's damaging the line, I never do this. I have actually seen braid cut totally through an ezyrig when it was run on the braid and not the shock leader, although this seemed to damage the ezyrig more then the braid.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:23 pm

Sounds like you might have tightened the drag beyond the breaking strain of one of your knots. As mentioned above, don't tighten the drag more than 30% of your lines breaking strain, that's about 3.5kg for 25lb line. Don't be afraid of letting the fish take line off the spool. You have plenty of line, just let the drag do it's job.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

blakesirus

Post by blakesirus » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:34 pm

never rock fished - but could try thicker leader/main line?

cheers

piscateur
Has liked: 63 times

Post by piscateur » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:52 am

surgeons knot to the swivel would not be the best option, try a locked blood or uni knot with 9 turns minimum fro braid. also worth checking you guides as there may be a crack in the insert which will be sharp and damage the line.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:03 pm

Knots can cause problems if you're not using specific braid knots. Would high recommend tying an FG to a leader then the leader to your swivel. Braid to swivel can compromise the breaking strain quite considerably. Even using the right knot they can break at different points if they are not tied identically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odznco009FY
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:05 pm

Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:22 pm

piscateur wrote:surgeons knot to the swivel would not be the best option, try a locked blood or uni knot with 9 turns minimum fro braid. also worth checking you guides as there may be a crack in the insert which will be sharp and damage the line.
I use a uni know to all terminal tackle in braid.

Never had 1 slip out when fighting a fish or when hooked upto snags.
Usually the leader breaks first

Return to “Welcome to Fishing Victoria”