New to the forum - and very much a beginner!! Absolutely terrible at it!!

The Fishing Victoria Forum is Australia's leading online fishing forum with comprehensive resources for Victorian fishermen, anglers and fishos. Check out the latest fishing & tackle news, tips, fishing reports and detailed fish information.
CapnBloodbeard

New to the forum - and very much a beginner!! Absolutely terrible at it!!

Post by CapnBloodbeard » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:52 am

Hi all,
Very new to fishing! As in, got taught some very basics when I was a teenager and looking to pick it up again. Wife and I like to go out fishing now and then (it's never going to be a major hobby).

Problem is, we don't get a bite. Like, ever (well, we caught some carp on the Murray once......).

Went out to Lake Albert Park yesterday afternoon, nothing.

We're using Shimano AX2500FB reels with 6.4lb line on a raven 6'6" 3-5kg rod. Usually just using a fairly basic rig (running sinker, size 0-2, swivel, about a foot of line then a long shank or suicide hook) pretty much because that's the only rig we know :P We have a range of lures as well. NFI how to use any of them :P

Or swapping over to something like a vibe lure on a snap swivel, no other tackle.

We've been out on the Maribyrnong a few times near Angler's tavern, and similarly, not so much as a nibble, although reading a bit yesterday I can't help but wonder if that gear is a bit too heavy for the Maribyrnong (maybe we need a lighter line and get some smaller hooks/swivel?).

Yesterday we were using worms as well as the lure. We've tried prawns on the Maribyrnong before.

Anyway, first question - anything standing out from this post that we might be doing wrong already?
Also, any newbie resources people can recommend?
I mean, real newbie. Even discussing stuff such as what to do after casting (reel it in slowly? Let it sit there? etc), maybe different rigs for different conditions, when to consider our lures versus how/what/where/why to use bait, that sort of thing. What to look for when saying 'yeah, this looks like a spot'.

It would be nice to be able to have a vague expectation that SOMETHING is interested in what we're throwing into the water rather than just going out and pointlessly wetting a hook for an hour or two. I mean, don't get me wrong, that's nice too. But there's always the question back at work of 'how'd fishing go?' :-D

Hosery

Re: New to the forum - and very much a beginner!! Absolutely terrible at it!!

Post by Hosery » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:20 pm

Mate I don’t fish down there so can’t help you in that regards. I’d say your line isn’t to heavy. 6lb isn’t very heavy.

But in regards to where to fish. When ever possible you want to be fishing structure of some form especially if lure fishing. If that be a reef,snag,rock ledge,weed bed,drop off back eddy etc. Fish don’t just live in the open all the time especially in daylight hours. Think about it. The fish sit and wait in ambush for there feed to come by them within range. So instead of just getting to the water where ever is closest and having a cast. Have a look around and there may be a spot that catches your eye other than closest to the car park.

Other than that don’t complicate it to much and just spend time on the water and you will get the rewards. A bad days fishing is always better than a good days work.

Duffman

Post by Duffman » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:47 pm

Welcome to "fishing". It's not called "catching" for a reason. Don't get stuck in 1 area for too long. If you don't get any bites for half an hour or so, move. Same as boat fishing, sometimes you have to find the fish. They are not looking for you! Research techniques and potential spots. Fishing is about learning and that is never ending. The more you fish the more you learn the more successful you will be. A line in the water is never doing the wrong thing. Can't catch a fish otherwise. Good luck. Again, research.

Brownie

Post by Brownie » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:57 pm

You can get some good books with info from BCF. Rigs, places, tips, all that sort of stuff.

thebigal_au
Has liked: 5 times

Post by thebigal_au » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:35 pm

Hey CapnBloodBeard, I hope your very well I fish those areas regularly and catch a lot of fish in both those systems. I have written and published several articles and videos to help local anglers catch fish in the Nong, Yarra, APL and PPB. Here some things that will help you

A video I recently created on how to target bream in Melbourne ( This taken under the west gate )
https://youtu.be/6HfAJI6kPaA

A document I created on how to rig up for bream in the Nong and Yarra
http://www.fishingmad.com.au/nong_bream.html

A recent nice golden perch taken from APL
https://youtu.be/e630VARgdOA

I find most people when starting and targeting species like bream, trout etc often don't catch because there using hooks that are to big and sinkers to heavy. So often by making those items smaller it encourages the bite.

In APL and the Nong soft plastics such as grub imitations work very well, It may take many casts but a simple slow retrieve will eventually get you onto a few fish. Feel free to checkout my website which has a heap of help for local anglers

Best Regards
Alan Bonnici

Founder of FishingMad
www.fishingmad.com.au
www.facebook.com/fishingmad.com.au/
www.youtube.com/c/fishingmad

Return to “Welcome to Fishing Victoria”