Lorne fishing?

The Fishing Victoria Forum is Australia's leading online fishing forum with comprehensive resources for Victorian fishermen, anglers and fishos. Check out the latest fishing & tackle news, tips, fishing reports and detailed fish information.
AllNamesUnavailable

Lorne fishing?

Post by AllNamesUnavailable » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:58 pm

hello, my family and a few of my cousins have decided that we are going to camp in Lorne as soon as the hot summer weather hits, and i'm just wondering what my chances are of catching fish there? what species i might be able to catch? im sure there is something there but i'm not entirely sure what. i know that there are the occasional salmon but i'm after something that i have a better chance of catching using SP's, like bream or flatties, i'm not much of a saltwater angler but i certainly want to try my luck with it. If anyone can point out some techniques or SP's that have been known to produce in this area, that would be awesome.
Tight lines, Dean.
:water:

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Re: Lorne fishing?

Post by skronkman » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:50 am

Don't know about lures out that way, I haven't fished there since I was a kid (my great uncle was the chief of police there and I use to visit every year) but I remember when the salmon were on the pier was chockers and everyone was smashing them. Then they had the garfish from the pier, same story. Also under the footbridge across the road from the caravan park used to get full of mullet and I could catch hundreds of em on just about anything. Dunno if it's much help but that's what I remember.

azkay

Post by azkay » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:17 pm

I only know of the Salmon in the area. The Sand and Rock Platforms on either side of Lorne can be really productive on a good day, bait and lures work. Of course care must be taken on the rocks as the swell can get a little dangerous for someone new to Saltwater. Finding gutters on a rising tide, during sunrise/sunset is a good starting point. Don't fish the pier much but i have seen other species like Trevally and Squid caught there. Really nice place to fish but can be really quiet at times.. Your always a chance of a Flathead on the surf sand flats, I've caught a few albeit as a by-catch. Some other members may be able to help a little more with the Bream and SP Techniques as i don't have much knowledge in this regard..
Az.

AllNamesUnavailable

Post by AllNamesUnavailable » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:24 pm

Thank you heap guys, it doesnt really matter if you know or dont know the techniques because i can always search it on youtube or google. Cheers though for the info .

fishpod

Post by fishpod » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:25 pm

You will have no problem catching bream and mullet in the river on any tecnique

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:10 pm

fishpod wrote:You will have no problem catching bream and mullet in the river on any tecnique
times 2.

Should be plenty of action
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

Return to “Welcome to Fishing Victoria”