Please take the time to read and help if you can.

The Fishing Victoria Forum is Australia's leading online fishing forum with comprehensive resources for Victorian fishermen, anglers and fishos. Check out the latest fishing & tackle news, tips, fishing reports and detailed fish information.
PaceyD78

Please take the time to read and help if you can.

Post by PaceyD78 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:53 pm

Hi all,

Firstly thank you for taking the time to read this. A very good friend of mine who I have managed to infect with the fishing bug over the past year has just informed me that he has been diagnosed with a very rare and aggresive form of cancer and that he basically has anywhere from 2 - 5 years left depending on the course of action he decides to take. Now instead of wallowing in self pity and feeling sorry for himself (like me and most other people I know would have done), he has decided to put a couple of different bucket lists together that he hopes to complete before, well you know what...
One of those lists was a fishing bucket list whereby he has asked me to help him try and knock off a number of species he has yet to catch. This is where I'm hoping you guys and girls can help. I will list the species below that my friend Adam is yet to catch. Was hoping that you guys in Fish Vic land might be able to provide some locations that I could take him where he has a chance to get these species. Unfortunately we will be restricted to land based locations only as we discovered last week while chasing Tuna in Portland that boats and Adam make lots of burley!! He did however manage to tick Tuna off his list which was great but has said he never wants to go on a boat again!!
Ok so the species are;

Gummy Shark
Mulloway
King Fish

There are obviously other species but I am confident of getting him onto them at the places I normally fish. Happy to fish Western Port of PPB and all info provided will be greatly appreciated.
Again thank you for taking the time to read this and for those that are interested I will definitely keep you posted of how we go.
Thank you in advance for your help.

Cheers,

Pacey.

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Re: Please take the time to read and help if you can.

Post by Wolly Bugger » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:05 am

Firstly, Obtain a copy of the Landbased Guide to Port Phillip and Corio Bays.

seephil
Has liked: 37 times

Post by seephil » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:42 am

Wollys right on the landbased based books, theres also one on WPB. Seriously, if you pick your days and head out on a boat, its nothing compared to Portland. I'd be looking at hiring aboat or hit up a charter. Some fish that you've mentioned are seasonal and rather hard to chase.

nafa

Post by nafa » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:04 am

Good on you Pacey, is nice to see that there are genuine people out there. As for the dreaded sea sickness. People say it is a matter of mind over matter. I get sea sick looking at a front loading washing machine! Two of your targets namely Jews and Gummies are quite often targeted at night of the beach in the surf. Check your local reports on the beaches and best of luck.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:53 am

Sea sickness is caused by slow up down of ocean swell.

Fishing in the bay he will be fine.

If you want to use motion sickness tablets both Travel calm original and Avil both work great.

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:59 am

Yea u can't judge boats from a Portland trip for tuna
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

BIG GAV

Post by BIG GAV » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:00 am

In saying this, ur friendship n loyalty is very admirable! You'd have a good chance of mulloway at docklands
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:33 pm

Plenty of gummies around WPB. The kayak fishos get heaps up the muddy end of the bay and you can probably do just as well from a boat (watch the tides though or you'll get stuck), or landbased from spots like Corinella or Tenby Point, and Shoreham, Balnarring, Merricks and Somers around the other side. They come in close to the shore at night.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

adamk

Post by adamk » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:22 pm

Peppermint for seasickness may help or shove vics under your nose

poodoo

Post by poodoo » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:30 pm

Patterson and yarra river for mulloway. Gummies at westernport beaches, somers, balnarring, merricks etc Kingfish landbased go to NSW.

Return to “Welcome to Fishing Victoria”