Darwin Help

Northern Territory Fishing Reports
rogs
Has liked: 1 time

Darwin Help

Post by rogs » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:58 am

Heading Darwin with my missus for the first time for a week holiday to see the place
and for sure to wet lines hoping to catch that top end Barra (actually anything at all :P :P :P )
the thing is i have no idea how to catch that local so any help and info is greatly appreciated.
we didn't do good in Cairns last year so i hope this one will be a successful trip that i can share
when we're back. :gone:

Cheers,

rogs

scott__henning

Re: Darwin Help

Post by scott__henning » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:04 am

Best advice would be to go on a charter, but that can be expensive so if it's not an option the local tackle stores will be able to tell you where to find em. Very tough to find land based!

tuna tube

Post by tuna tube » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:54 am

Like Scott said, charter or guided tour is your best option. You can go it alone but if you don't know the area well,I wouldn't recommend it. There is a lot of toothy critters up there that like the taste of tourists :shark:
Best time of the year as it's the wet season. Spectacular lighting and torrential rain in the afternoon. Lucky bugger

Edit. I'm assuming your wanting to chase Barra in the rivers.
Cheers
The Tube

JoshW

Post by JoshW » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:39 am

Head over to buffalo creek on the run in tide. It's very close to Darwin itself, but it fishes quite well. We got a couple of barra on poppers when we were there. Otherwise hire a boat and get out in the harbour or around the islands in the inlet.

If you can afford it try get a guide to take you to shady camp or corrobory, that's where the big girls are. Just keep all hands and feet inside the boat at all times ;)

Tyler

Post by Tyler » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:07 am

Mate your best bet is a charter/guided trip.

I did one about 2 months ago at shady camp with Allan from Darwin's Barra Base, we ended up boating 15 Barra with the biggest 93cm get my mates ugly head in the N.T paper.

It wasn't cheap at $3-350 a head but was well worth it.

rogs

Post by rogs » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:28 pm

Thanks guys for the tips and advice we'll be landbase most of the time most likely the CBD i heard you can fish good
along those rock walls. Just want to know what rigs and baits to be used. Thanks again guys and wish me luck.

Cheers

rogs

JoshW

Post by JoshW » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:57 pm

Always worth giving the warf a go. If you're after bait advice, your best bet is to pull in to the local tackle shop up there. I'm fairly sure there is one in the CBD.

tuna tube

Post by tuna tube » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:06 pm

JoshW wrote:Head over to buffalo creek on the run in tide. It's very close to Darwin itself, but it fishes quite well. We got a couple of barra on poppers when we were there. Otherwise hire a boat and get out in the harbour or around the islands in the inlet.

If you can afford it try get a guide to take you to shady camp or corrobory, that's where the big girls are. Just keep all hands and feet inside the boat at all times ;)
Two top locations. Fished both shady camp and buffalo creek. Shady is a ripper spot. And yes keep all parts of your body that you want to keep in the boat :thumbsup: Adelaide river also fishes great. Been lucky enough to have mates up there.
Cheers
Cheers
The Tube

shaynebennett

Post by shaynebennett » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:10 pm

Buff creek with livies on the run in will give you good cheap fishing. Just need to be able to throw a net is all, or find a local kind enough to help you out with that. Just make sure if it's in the evening, you cover your skin, unless you want to be red and itchy for the next few weeks! If live bait isn't an option, get there about 2 hours before low tide and head right from the carpark. You have to cross a little creek thing by walking along a steel railway sleeper (there is a rope for balance) then work your way along the mangroves until you hit the rocks. It's a good spot for soft plastics on a slow roll as well as shallow diving bombers. Take some poppers too in case yhe surface action heats up. Good chance for barra, queenies, salmon and unfortunately catties. Hope something out of that ramble helps
If only I could fish more

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:26 pm

If fished there heaps..pm me if you want some serious advice.

Cheers bm
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

Return to “Northern Territory”