Exmouth! Western Australia! Epic Fishin trip of a LIFETIME!!

Western Australia Fishing Reports
vinhii

Exmouth! Western Australia! Epic Fishin trip of a LIFETIME!!

Post by vinhii » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:14 am

:tongue: :reel:
As some of you may know, that i embarked on my W.A trip (Exmouth) and just recently got back.. :super:
Before i left for exmouth me and my mates caught yellow tails for bait bout a bucket load of them real fun to catch.

So lets try to make it as short as possible of a report i can give LOL! :lolf:

So first day we got to Exmouth! the water was blue and calm and the hot air and the sun could just melt your face off in matter of seconds lol but this didnt stop us going out to the beach for a fish!

So we used what we call "Pilchards" ,... "millies" i think or something like that lool.. i was using my 13" shimano surf rod with Emcast Sports Daiwa reel ,.. as we fished through to the night we kept getting Big hits but no takers till the sun went down that we started getting real big hook ups!! :r

But problem was that.. as soon as you hook up! the fish run straight into the rocks/corals and as you all know! braid + Rock = Bangg
so after 5 rigs lost we called it a night and gave up and left the beaches not knowin what was out there lol.

But did some lure fishing out along the beach at sunset we hooked on! to a nice i think it would be called a golden trevally? or a spotted trevally? im not too sure lol

as the days go on we enjoyed diving in the aqua blue waters and enjoying the abundant sea life and all the wonderful creatures and fish that exmouth offers!

When the night came we headed out to the Marina Rock wall and fished off that .. casted some mullet fillets out and waited to see what would come and grab it.. . . . Within a matter of minutes my mate hooked onto something HUGE!! ,.. as he was holding on for his life! and watched all his line get peeled within seconds!.... . *PING!* followed by some nasty words lol ^%#%^@&!
Not long after that i hooked onto something big aswell!! took me for a 10min run and then *PING!* i wasnt too happy either lol.. my other mate on the other hand was aiming for rock cod and managed to catch 2 big decent what i think was a Potato Cod.
Both were real good eating fish and great tasting!! :D

Now!,.. The FUN! begins.. I hired a Big 7m Boat for 3 days from 6am to 5pm.

So we all setted off in the morning mist and headed straight out to 25-30 meters of water in the Gulf and started Trolling with Lures going a steady 5knots..

An hour passed then all the sudden the ACTION! was ON!!!! reel after reel BAM BAM BAM!!!! *BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ* line after line getting nearly pulled outta the rod holders :snap: :lolf:

Everyone was having a bloody great day! pulling in from 70-150 cm Spanish Mackerels! they just love the Gold lures or Bright flashy ones , kept attacking them and getting hook ups lol..
Then as we got more further out,.. BOOM!! the big reels went for a 6!!! LOL! it was on! :bite: The FIGHT! was on! felt like a power struggle ,.. there were times it felt slack... and then emerged a Huge Mackerel! mate grabbed the gaff and we were all smiles onboard.
after a brief rest,.. BAM! my overhead took off as i only just put the lure in the water!.. big powerful head shakes! what could of been!? i wasnt sure! this time it did not feel like a mackerel! what is this thing?! ... after a good fight! it emerged outta the deep blue water.. it was a Nice Sized NORTHERN BLUEFIN!!! I was so wraped! i couldnt believe it! ive hooked into a Decent Northern Bluefin TUNA! WOOO!! HOO!!! :haha2: :super:
We all had a good feed that night! Fresh Tuna Straight off the Bone :thumbsup:

Our last Day on the boat.. started out slow.. got a hit with a decent mackerel then it died down... So we headed off to Murion Islands i think thats how it was spelt lol.. We tried poppers for GTs but after a long 2hrs and sore arms... we failed and gave up and didnt try no more lol , Instead we went bottom bashing for some Bluelined Emperors , Spanglys & Cod,.. After afew hits with small lil hook ups here and there , I decided it was time to end the day cause there were Cyclone warnings.

We trolled all the way back in the Gulf... with no success for 3hrs i finally called it and said "time to reel them in boys" As i said that.. 1 rod went off nearly knocking someone out :lolf: we thought finally we couldve hooked onto a nice Jnr Sailfish! hahaha! turned out to be another Huge Spanish/Shark Mackerel biggest one we`ve caught!

as another 20 or so minutes passed! we heard a loud *BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!* we all looked at each other and tried to figure out where and which reel it was! and realized it was the rod sittin above our heads!!! taking off! lol,.. I grabbed the rod and passed it to my mate and nearly got pulled into doing so LOL! :whoh:
So as he was having fun fighting this Monsta! we all were pulling in the other lines.. and then *WHACKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!* HUGE SPLASHING OF WATER HIT THE SURFACE!!! WHAT THE F&#K! HAVE I HOOKED ONTO?!!?!

Gee wizz we got a DOUBLE HOOK UP! ON 2 BIG MONSTAS!! Surely now i thought to myself!! YES!!! THIS COULD BE IT!! IT COULD BE THE ONE!! A SAILFISH!!!!!!! ,.. Fighting Man Vs Beast for over 40mins finally it surfaced! Biggest! Northern Bluefin Tuna ive caught on the trip!! the feeling was just amazing!! i felt Victory!! pulling in sucha big Blue fin Tuna!
As i finally pulled in the Northern Bluefin Tuna! my mate started pulling his in! and out from the Depths! i saw the bright silver colour and the pattern ,.. at first we thought it was another Mackerel and i took a closer look! IT WAS A MONSTA BARRACUDA!!! ,.. i was very cautious at this point with the gaff! as i told everyone who wasnt doing anything to backup abit and go into the cabin! ,.. finally gaffed this thing but i struggled to pull it into the boat cause it was just so heavy! needed an extra hand! .. and as we got it in the boat ,.. MY GOD!! WAS THIS THING HUGE! BIGGEST BAD ASS BARRACUDA IVE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE! WITH BIG SHARP TEETH BLAZING AND ALL!! bloody monsta of a CATCH!! hehehe! :Boxing: :clap:

The Trip Turned out to be AMAZING!! Exmouth! is definately a place to visit!! Friendly people! lovely waters! and Great fishing!!!

Id like to Personally THANK! Warren & his Wife From Exmouth Boat & Kayak Hires For sucha great and Friendly Service! and taking us out to show us how to Use cast nets to catch fresh Mullets!.

Also would like to thank! Blue Water Tackle Exmouth! for putting us in the right direction! And Showings us and telling us a thing or two bout fishing up north! :thumbsup:

And Like to also Thank Potshot Hotel & Apartments for a Great Service and Hospitality !

Guys If any of you ever do get the chance to go on this trip! i highly recommend it! and hire a boat too!! definately worth it!
Thank you all for putting out the time in reading my lil report! and am greatful for all the tips ive learnt on this forum! real pleasure! :haha2:

Happy Fishing guys!! :water: :gone:
Last edited by vinhii on Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.
PLENTY!! of FISH!! in the SEA!! but so little TIME!!!

Beno

Re: Exmouth! Western Australia! Epic Fishin trip of a LIFETI

Post by Beno » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:38 am

Truly spectacular Vinhii!!!! BEST REPORT I HAVE HEARD IN A LONG TIME. :D

Great pics and ripper fish :super: :super: :super:

You have me hooked on exmouth now :Dribble:
My Youtube Channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/BenosFishing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; How to - Garfish/Float Rig
Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/pages/BenosFis ... 213?ref=hl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

vinhii

Post by vinhii » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:54 am

Hahaha Cheers Beno!!

Yeah Exmouth is a bloody well worth it! I forgot to mention though.. as i was heading back to perth! we actually got stuck in Canarvon for 2 days cause of the fires so i fished there at the 1 mile jetty and we caught Jnr Mulloway and some mud crabs! hehehe

Lost Pom

Post by Lost Pom » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:35 am

Epic report Vinhii - some serious fish in there! Great effort!

How did that Tuna sushi go down?! :stirthepot:

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:37 am

WT heck! that is the biggest pilchard with teeth I have ever seen! How much did you pay for that? :tongue: Did you mount (on the wall, not hump the fish :tongue: ) that toothy beast? That head will look nice on a display wall. Looks so angry. lol.

Nice stuff Vinhii. Now you know you are also capable of catching something bigger than a toadie from Mordi Pier. :lolf:

Now you got me thinking of going back to where I was born and hit the deep blue pacific for some pacific blue fin tuna. If I win this week's powerball, we will all go for a fishing trip of a lifetime....my call. :Boxing: For now, I have to pay some tuition fee for my kids...bloody expensive private schools. :angry: meaning - I am stuck in PBB until I collect from Tatts. :lolf:
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

Fish-cador

Post by Fish-cador » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:42 am

:whoh: how come this mullet has 2 tails? :whoh: WA mutant?
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

Armadyllo

Post by Armadyllo » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:51 am

Great report Vinhii, thouroughly enjoyed : )

Cheers

Dyll

vinhii

Post by vinhii » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:10 pm

Lost Pom wrote:Epic report Vinhii - some serious fish in there! Great effort!

How did that Tuna sushi go down?! :stirthepot:
Hehe thanks Lost Pom, The Tuna Fresh went down a treat!!! Best ever!! you def have to try it! lol

vinhii

Post by vinhii » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:13 pm

Looool Fc - Cheers bud ;) lets hope you do win the lotto then hey haha

It isnt a WA mutant mullet lol i just butterflied technique rigged it thats all lol
lol @ biggest pilchard hahaha nah i was hoping more for a sailfish to mount on the wall but didnt get to catch one so bummed that i didnt but still have my whole life to catch one hehehe

Fish-cador

Post by Fish-cador » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:42 pm

it has 2 tails....unless you also split the tail such that both flaps has tail. :lol:
====
Words of wisdom:
====

Return to “Western Australia”