Port Douglas

Queensland Fishing Reports
Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Port Douglas

Post by Lightningx » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:15 pm

Hi guys I'm off to Port Douglas in far North Queensland in a couple of days with the missus and was wondering if anyone would recommend a good charter up there?
We will have a car for the week and so we are also looking to do some landbased fishing as well. Any good places to wet a line?
Any advice will be appreciated!

Cheers,
LX.

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Re: Port Douglas

Post by Boonanza » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:23 pm

Sorry no advice just letting you know it's always nice for an invite ;-)
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

marckyg123

Post by marckyg123 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:31 pm

im not too familiar with the area never got a chance when I was up there but was reccomended a charter that takes you through the mangroves and a couple good shipwrecks by a guy on a croc tour. He said they catch plenty of fish but you should probably whatch your back or you will get eaten by the crocs :o_0: . Cant remember the name of the top of my head sorry mate. You might want to google any charters around where you are staying that should help. Good luck to you and the missus. -Marcky :fish22: :water:

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:44 pm

I was up there towards the end of last year. We hired a pontoon boat from the local marina and took it up the river using the gear and bait they provided. It was more of a scenic tour than good fishing but nice way to spend a morning/afternoon..... but we did get a couple of small bream and other fish (can't remember what they were). http://www.pdboathire.com.au

One of the nights I was on the sugar wharf jetty and there was a young guy there fishing of the of the jetty in towards the mouth of the channel. He was having a fair bit of luck and reckons he pulled in a fair size shark the night before (can't remember the type). Could be a place to try for land based...

On another note, go and have a beer at the tin shed in the afternoon and get a seat upstairs on the deck that overlooks the boat ramp. Good fun and some nice boats going in and out.

There is also a special night run at the sailing club where the skippers will take you out on their boats in return for you hanging around and having a feed for dinner. You can take your own drinks etc. You need to be there early to put your name on the list.... Would have to call them to work out which day it is (Tuesday i think).
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-01-31 at 9.40.44 pm.png

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:17 am

yepi'mon wrote:I was up there towards the end of last year. We hired a pontoon boat from the local marina and took it up the river using the gear and bait they provided. It was more of a scenic tour than good fishing but nice way to spend a morning/afternoon..... but we did get a couple of small bream and other fish (can't remember what they were). http://www.pdboathire.com.au

One of the nights I was on the sugar wharf jetty and there was a young guy there fishing of the of the jetty in towards the mouth of the channel. He was having a fair bit of luck and reckons he pulled in a fair size shark the night before (can't remember the type). Could be a place to try for land based...

On another note, go and have a beer at the tin shed in the afternoon and get a seat upstairs on the deck that overlooks the boat ramp. Good fun and some nice boats going in and out.

There is also a special night run at the sailing club where the skippers will take you out on their boats in return for you hanging around and having a feed for dinner. You can take your own drinks etc. You need to be there early to put your name on the list.... Would have to call them to work out which day it is (Tuesday i think).
Thanks for the info mate! Appreciate it. Cheers :thumbsup:

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:03 am

Stay close and fish Point wilson for flounder, kgw, pinky and flatties :-)

Return to “Queensland”