Port Douglas Landbased

Queensland Fishing Reports
tommyfishunter

Port Douglas Landbased

Post by tommyfishunter » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:38 pm

Gday Everyone,

Was wondering if anyone had some info about some landbased spots in and around Port Douglas (walking distance). Also what types of lures i should take up with me (or bait i should buy). I'm not after metre barra or massive fish, just light gear species,
Going to be up there for a week at the end if June.

cheers.

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Re: Port Douglas Landbased

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:32 pm

Maybe a shotgun?

Ive seen crocs within a hundred or so meters of the boat ramp.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

greggo
Has liked: 5 times

Post by greggo » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:36 pm

There's quite a lot of landbased spots there, with good fishing. The main marina and the the wharf are good places to start, then behind the golf club. Also the rock walls around the yacht club, but basically anywhere you can access the water.

I have the best results on poppers and surface lures, especially at night! Walk around at night and watch the water for baitfish busting up, then cast out a surface lure, into, and around the bustup. Bassday Sugapen are my favourite, as they can walk or pop. Flashy bibbed lures account for a few fish, but not to the extent of surface lures. I've never done any good on plastics, but that doesn't mean dont try them.

There's a guy who takes estuary charters there, maximum 4 fishos on the boat, and goes into some pretty gnarly creeks for some crazy fishing. I was lucky when I went, it was just me and a mate on the charter. I cant remember his name, but the local tackle shop will know. You can also hire a tinny from the marina for a few hours, well worth doing that too.

If you can crack the sunset high tide, the gutters along the beaches produce good fish just before dark, especially the southern end of the main beach. Try throwing everything at the gutters, it will depend on the wind as to what works best.

Good luck.

greggo

Post by greggo » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:40 pm

SteveoTheTiger wrote:Maybe a shotgun?

Ive seen crocs within a hundred or so meters of the boat ramp.
Yeah, there's a few crocs about, I'd just fish the golf club during the day for that reason.

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:52 pm

You probably no but a girl was taken a few days ago by a croc

She was swimming at night so you might just off well walked into the water with a bucket off blood.

She did herself no favors poor girl
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

silloth

Post by silloth » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:37 pm

a couple of years ago where they have the sunday market i took out my telescopic spin rod and first cast caught a queenie(not sure) on a gulp minnow then nothing for the rest of the day, caught a lot of remoras on peeled prawn also was there when a guy caught a shark on the sugar wharf
enjoy your trip the nearest you will get to paradise on earth

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:37 pm

silloth wrote: enjoy your trip the nearest you will get to paradise on earth
Very true. The crocs are all part of the adventure. And my favourite restaurant is there.. Salsa Bar & Grill.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

tommyfishunter

Post by tommyfishunter » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:33 am

greggo wrote:There's quite a lot of landbased spots there, with good fishing. The main marina and the the wharf are good places to start, then behind the golf club. Also the rock walls around the yacht club, but basically anywhere you can access the water.

I have the best results on poppers and surface lures, especially at night! Walk around at night and watch the water for baitfish busting up, then cast out a surface lure, into, and around the bustup. Bassday Sugapen are my favourite, as they can walk or pop. Flashy bibbed lures account for a few fish, but not to the extent of surface lures. I've never done any good on plastics, but that doesn't mean dont try them.

There's a guy who takes estuary charters there, maximum 4 fishos on the boat, and goes into some pretty gnarly creeks for some crazy fishing. I was lucky when I went, it was just me and a mate on the charter. I cant remember his name, but the local tackle shop will know. You can also hire a tinny from the marina for a few hours, well worth doing that too.

If you can crack the sunset high tide, the gutters along the beaches produce good fish just before dark, especially the southern end of the main beach. Try throwing everything at the gutters, it will depend on the wind as to what works best.

Good luck.
Cheers mate,

Never fished a surface lure before so will give them a crack, not sure what you mean by walk or pop (relatively new to hardbodys).
I'll probably be booking a charter when i'm up there so will try and find that guy.

greggo

Post by greggo » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:13 am

tommyfishunter wrote:
greggo wrote:There's quite a lot of landbased spots there, with good fishing. The main marina and the the wharf are good places to start, then behind the golf club. Also the rock walls around the yacht club, but basically anywhere you can access the water.

Good luck.
Cheers mate,

Never fished a surface lure before so will give them a crack, not sure what you mean by walk or pop (relatively new to hardbodys).
I'll probably be booking a charter when i'm up there so will try and find that guy.
They are two methods of retrieve for surface lures. Checkout Youtube for vids on "Walking the dog surface lure" or Poppers surface lure". There should be heaps of stuff on there.

Good luck and we want a full report. ;-)

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:26 pm

SteveoTheTiger wrote:
silloth wrote: enjoy your trip the nearest you will get to paradise on earth
Very true. The crocs are all part of the adventure. And my favourite restaurant is there.. Salsa Bar & Grill.
So I’ve been in port Douglas for a week. Between the onshore winds and the dredge the fishing has been ****. But based off this post I gave salsa’s a crack tonight for a bit of a date night. Ditched the kids for the night. It was the best meal I’ve eaten to date. Absolutely amazing.

Highly recommended

Return to “Queensland”