Gold Coast

Queensland Fishing Reports
Giovanni

Gold Coast

Post by Giovanni » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:53 pm

Hi guys, I am travelling the Gold Coast and whilst I have not done fishing myself here I am amazed at the rivers and canals that loop in and out of the suburbs. The people here have fishing right on their doorstep! Pretty much next to most shops, bus, trains there is canal that are allegedly full of bream, trevally, sharks (yeah sharks get caught) and other species. Seems that we got the short end of the stick here in Victoria as Fishing is by far less accessible. I know most of you are probably aware but damn it's like the Mecca of fishing here and it's within a stones throw from anywhere with fish in high numbers. It's not like the maribyrnong and Yarra up here. The rivers are warm. Clean. Full of fish.

eslop

Re: Gold Coast

Post by eslop » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:41 am

Giovanni wrote:Hi guys, I am travelling the Gold Coast and whilst I have not done fishing myself here I am amazed at the rivers and canals that loop in and out of the suburbs. The people here have fishing right on their doorstep! Pretty much next to most shops, bus, trains there is canal that are allegedly full of bream, trevally, sharks (yeah sharks get caught) and other species. Seems that we got the short end of the stick here in Victoria as Fishing is by far less accessible. I know most of you are probably aware but damn it's like the Mecca of fishing here and it's within a stones throw from anywhere with fish in high numbers. It's not like the maribyrnong and Yarra up here. The rivers are warm. Clean. Full of fish.
I'm from the Goldie. This is why it took me years to take up fishing again in Victoria. Yes there definitely are sharks in the canals, I'd never swim in one. I've seen a pelican taken by one and people get chomped by bullies every now and then....
Cheers, Scott.

pb's
Murray Cod: 92 on spinnerbait, 81 on surface lure, 74 on bait
Golden Perch: 49 on TN60
Redfin: 41 on TN60
Brown Trout: 68 on SP
Rainbow: maybe 10
Mudmarlin: 78

Giovanni

Post by Giovanni » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:30 am

I hate to admit it but it's no effort to go fishing here, because you don't need to go anywhere to do it unless it's a particular species you want. I swear a good percentage of the population could throw a line from their backyard. In Victoria there is so much planning required to go somewhere far ... and in most experiences of land based anglers ... Very few fish! Honestly thinking of moving my job up here just for ease of fishing.

TrevKing

Post by TrevKing » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:52 pm

I agree, definitely fishing heaven up there compared to down here. I'm up that way once a year and never want to come home. :cry: Still a challenge to get better fish like jacks, trevally ect. but the bread and butter species (bream, whiting, flatties) are easy. Still, I like the challenge of fishing Victorian waters and IMO its much more rewarding when you're successful.
2015 Goals -
-First Squid
-Trout on SP
-First Murray Cod
-Rainbow over 40cm
-Redfin over 40cm

Giovanni

Post by Giovanni » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:42 pm

Yeah true. But it's effortless in goldie

Giovanni

Post by Giovanni » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:50 pm

Went for a kayak, due to the boating culture people seemed to be more aware of me and I didn't fear getting killed by a tool on a seadoo or some $200,000 idiot boat towed by a bmw suv. Maybe people live by the water as a way of life here whereas in Victoria it's an excuse to go silly

GTSHoon

Post by GTSHoon » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:55 pm

Dang how I wish i could live up north somewhere, sounds like such an easy way of life! One day I hope to move to Townsville, until then one can daydream hahaha
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing

Giovanni

Post by Giovanni » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:59 pm

Mate you could pretty much walk for a hundred meters and start catching yellow fin bream that swim around in their millions or even catch a few sharks. To them it's normal, if they ever fished here they would probably think it's boring. Anyway I'm back now, can't wait to freeze for donuts again :-)

Return to “Queensland”