Mackay report

Queensland Fishing Reports
Broomstick
Has liked: 2 times

Re: Mackay report

Post by Broomstick » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:33 pm

Once we could finally get out there, it was immediately clear that something had changed from the day before. There was absolutely no surface activity whatsoever – no boofs, no boils, not even a leaping mullet to get the heart pumping. So after fruitlessly throwing surface lures around for about half an hour, we quickly changed tactics. And sure enough, the cod were there again, eating absolutely anything:

Broomstick

Post by Broomstick » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:34 pm

In amongst the cod my dad also managed to catch a couple of cool little grunter, which definitely punch above their weight:

We did have two solid hook ups from big fish, both of which buried us in the rocks quick smart. They were lost likely big cod, but at one stage a big jack followed my mate’s lure all the way to his feet, which got us thinking that maybe there were a couple of jacks down there with some new bling (we tried not to think about this too much). But even though we didn’t catch any monsters, we still loved every minute of it. And it sure is a beautiful place:

Broomstick

So we headed back to our motel tired and hungry, but satisfied with our day’s work. Our flight home was in the afternoon the next day, which gave us time for one last sesh in the morning. The whole trip we’d been keen to explore the freshwater reaches of the Pioneer and have a crack at some sooty grunter (none of us had caught one before) but it was a risk. None of us had ever been up that way before and we could easily spend the whole day just looking for a spot. And it was very tempting to just hit the flats or the GT spot again for the sunrise low tide. But after some um-ing and ah-ing, we decided we’d try something different and hit the fresh. So we were up before the sun the next day, determined to catch a sooty grunter and end our trip on our high. We passed some amazing country on our way to the fresh, and to be honest any fish would have just been a bonus:

Broomstick

It took us a while but we finally found a place to access to river, and it sure looked fishy:

We whipped out the bream gear and tied on an assortment of hard bodies and second cast, my mate was on:

Broomstick

Post by Broomstick » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:35 pm

A tiny little grunter but we were stoked! Over the next couple of hours we caught a heap of these little guys and even though we caught nothing over about 20cm, it was a heap of fun and a new species for all of us. And they were hitting absolutely everything. I also caught a little spangled perch that flipped into the water before I could get a photo (idiot!) and saw a couple of super cool freshwater longtom following our lures. It was just a cool place and an awesome way to end the trip:

Broomstick

Post by Broomstick » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:35 pm

After countless little sooties and a quick swim, it was time to pack up our gear and head home. We were tired, sore, and covered in mosquito and sand fly bites, but it was an awesome trip with ripping company and I can’t wait to head back.

Cheers!

Note to self, bring some aerogard next time:

bigbull

Post by bigbull » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:58 pm

top report looks like yas had a ball never forget the aerogard up that way

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:54 pm

God damn your reports are a pleasure to ready Broomy
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:04 pm

What an awesome report & pics. That is a great trip mate :rocking_report: :nicefish:

Cheers Steve
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

Broomstick

Post by Broomstick » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:14 pm

bigbull wrote:top report looks like yas had a ball never forget the aerogard up that way
Thanks mate! I forget the aerogard every time, never learn my bloody lesson

Return to “Queensland”