Lure selection for the whitesundays.

Queensland Fishing Reports
allrounder_13

Lure selection for the whitesundays.

Post by allrounder_13 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:29 pm

Hey guys,
I'm heading I'm heading to the whitesundays soon on a yaucht for a week. During this time the fishing will vary from trolling to casting to bait. I was wondering if you had to cover everything in the whitesundays without shelling out more then $200 what would you pick? I'd prefer a range of lures eg: blades, sp's, hard bodies aswell as poppers. Thanks a lot in advance!

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Re: Lure selection for the whitesundays.

Post by Nude up » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:56 pm

I have never fished the whitsundays but from what I have read your $200 budget might get stretched, xrap 30's big halco both bibbed and popper williamson poppers even skirts. Be prepared to donate several of your lures I am sure some members have fished the whitsundays good luck have a great trip and remember go hard or go home

Broomstick
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Broomstick » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Hey mate, I've only fished up north a handful of times but hopefully I can help a bit. Unfortunately 200 bucks won't get you very far - you can easily go through 200 bucks worth of lures in a few hours during a hot bite. If your budget is limited, look at stocking up on plastics as they are the best value for money. Paddle-tailed plastics, minnow profiles and grub-type plastics in the 5-7inch range will all work (macarthy, z-man and squidgies are great). You'll need jig heads of varying size (5/0 - 9/0 hooks, and weights ranging from 1/4 ounce up to 3 or 4 ounces if your planning on fishing some deep water). Octo-style jigs like shimano lucanus jigs and gillies octo jigs work well up there to. I haven't fished blades all that much up north but I caught a few fish on the TT lures switchblade HD (these range from 1-2 ounces). For trolling, x-rap magnum 30's always seem to out fish everything else when I'm up north, closely followed by yozuri hydromagnums. Halco laser pros and tremblers are good too and a bit cheaper. Get some slugs as they're cheap and will catch all sorts of fish, and can also be used to jig vertically if you want to do some jigging. Surface fishing is so fun but unfortunately poppers and stick baits aren't cheap. Your entry level poppers such as halco roosta poppers and river to sea dumbbell poppers are still around the $20-30 mark and you can lose them pretty quickly if there are big GT's around. Top end stick baits and poppers are outrageously expensive. But yeah if I didn't want to spent too much cash, I'd be looking at plastics and slugs. Both are cheap and versatile and will catch lots of fish. Hope that helps :)

JoshW

Post by JoshW » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:19 pm

Grab a few Halco poppers, halco minnows, gulp jerk shads/nemesis and some metals and you'll be just about sorted!

You should be able to get enough for $200..

ro88ie

Post by ro88ie » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:07 pm

Threadybuster, must have, google it and Townsville fishing on Facebook

allrounder_13

Post by allrounder_13 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:09 pm

Thanks guys, the trip is still around a month away so helpfully i can must up some more cash! But another question. My heaviest rod is only 20lb should i be using a heavier rod? ( i would be happy to by a heavier rod if need be ) also what weight and brand would you reccomend? Again id like to keep to the cheaper side. Thanks again.

FirelineFanatic

Post by FirelineFanatic » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:34 pm

Duo lures are good the tropical species seem to love em, but they are a bit expensive

Return to “Queensland”